“very very nice place to stay!!”

Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
wyoming michigan
“very very nice place to stay!!”
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed at bearskin lodge and were nicely surprised..room was very spacious and clean...location is very nice,walking distance to shops and eating...also because its off the main street its quiet for sleeping......when there i left my medications behind...my big error..called tnem the next day and they were so nice about mailing them to me......i was so impressed how i was treated and i would stay there again next time...so yes i would highly recommend all to stay here!!....

• Liked — large clean rooms and location
  • Disliked — pool kind of small and out doors
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
missouri
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Every time we got to gatlinburg we always stay at the bearskin- its our family's favorite! we love the service and the rooms, we pretty much love everything!!

Stayed June 2007
Fl
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We loved this hotel. The room was huge, we had a balcony overlooking the river and it was so relaxing!!!!!! The room was clean, the staff was friendly. The elevator was slow so we walked up the stairs everyday to our room, but you walk so much in Tennessee anyways that it was no big deal for us and our two daughters at the time (6 and 8). Our AC went out and they not only fixed it but comped our room for us. These things happen in any hotel, it's how they handle it and they handled it with class and grace. We are coming back this summer and can't wait. A great deal, a great room, an overall great place!!!!

• Liked — Location it was walking distance to everything
  • Disliked — the elevator was slow so we walked the stairs instead
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
Asheville,NC
Reviewed May 11, 2008

We stayed at The Bearskin Lodge over Mother's Day weekend. The location is perfect! Just one block from the main drag downtown Gatlinburg. Plenty of nearby shops,restaurants and attractions. The rooms are very spacious and the breakfast is all you would want. The nearby stream is peaceful and relaxing as well. I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here each time I travel to Gatlinburg.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We recently stayed at the Bearskin Lodge for one night. My husband and I were taking our 4 year old grand daughters to Atlanta. We decided to break the trip up by going to Gatlinburg. We called for reservations the morning before we left. I asked about discounts and was told that we would receive a 10% discount by showing an AARP card at time of registration. Our room was guaranteed with a credit card.
We arrived after dinner that night. When you enter, there is the pleasant smell of a wood fire in the lobby. Our room was on the mountain stream, as requested. It had a sliding glass door that led out to the balcony that was large enough to accommodate 2 chairs and a small table. The room was quite large, more than enough room for the 4 of us. It was nicely decorated in an attempt to be rustic, but luxurious and was quite clean. The room had a gas fire that could be set on a timer for up to a half hour. It was delightful to listen to the mountain stream go by under your window while you watched the flames of the fire. (We only did this for a little while, I was too concerned about the wasting of energy.)
In the morning, there was a fisherman in the stream below us. My grand daughter was fascinated with him, watching him progress up the stream. My husband and I sat and read the paper which had been provided to us.
Breakfast was more than adequate for our needs. My husband and I had hot waffles, which I made. There was no wait for the waffle maker. Our grand daughters had bananas and cold cereal. It was quick and easy. The breakfast room itself is small and has a rather sterile feel to it.
Check out was quick and efficient. No problems with our bill. After the discount, including tax, the bill was $82. The people at the counter were very friendly. The hotel is one of the closest to the entrance to Smoky Mt. Visitor center and is one block away from the main street in Gatlinburg.

Negatives: The balcony does face the windows of another hotel. That didn't bother us. We really didn't notice anyone from the other hotel.

For a hotel that is trying to be a little more upscale, the toiletries were the worst that I have ever seen in a hotel. There were little slivers of an off brand soap and 1 bottle of Breck shampoo.

The pool which is located outdoors is tiny. Next to it is an equally small lazy river. I know that my older grandchildren would be very disappointed with the swimming facilities.

Overall, a pleasant experience

• Liked — location on stream, large room, gas fireplace
  • Disliked — toiletries, small pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Stayed 2 nights during spring break and enjoyed the place.
Had a room with fire place and whirpool tub. Fire place has
30 minute timer which was inconvienent, but you can't adjust
the flow of heat so you need a break after 30 minutes. Room
had a balcony over river but view is obscured from Family Inn
across river. Next stay here I will ask for city view room. Rooms
very clean which is sometimes hard to find in Gatlinburg. Nice
free breakfast. Like most motels in Gatlinburg parking lot small
for suv's and vans. Couple blocks from center of town but if
you don't mind the walk, its definitly worth it. This place is a little
more expensive then some but well worth the few extra bucks.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — One elevator
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Booked this hotel after shopping around online. The price was very reasonable, but their website didn't have many photos. Nonetheless, I took a chance on the Bearskin Lodge and I was happy I did. This was the 3rd hotel my family stayed in during our vacation, so we ALL had something to compare to. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's nicer than an economy hotel. For a family with young children, I highly recommend the rooms. The kids loved the rustic decor and fireplace in the room. The location was great, right at the Smokey Mountain Park entrance and within walking distance to the main attractions of Gatlinburg. The Hotel's pool and lazy river are very small and I wouldn't recommend the hotel to someone that like to hang out at the pool. The Hotel offers a free (limited menu) breakfast, which consists of cereals, bagels, donuts, waffles, hard boiled eggs , bananas and apples. If you would like a heartier breakfast, you need to go out - but there a plenty of places to choose from within walking distance. Also, the room the serve breakfast in is too small for the hotel capacity.

• Liked — Location & Value
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family