“Bad Trip”

Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Bristol, Tennessee, United States
“Bad Trip”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I made this trip on July 9, 2013. I get to the hotel & was told my room was ready. I go to the room & it wasn't ready, no big deal. I got in the room & wanted to kick back & watch a movie. (I always bring a DVD player.) Couldn't get the TV to change over so I called the front desk & they said they would send someone up. I was going to get on the internet & discovered it was down. No one ever showed up to check the TV. I called 3 times in 2 days about the TV. I go down to the office to see if they had some paper towels & the guy at the desk said he didn't have any & then rudely asked, "Why do you need paper towels for anyway?" I was upset at this point & said, I'm out of kleenex & I ordered a pizza & didn't want to dirty a towel in the room, getting more mad. I said forget it, I will just go buy some. On my way to the elevator he starts yelling & I keep walking, he catches me at the elevator & hands me what's left of a roll of paper towels & said this is all I could find. I said thanks & went back to the room. I was then leaving to go to the store & come to find the guy that was pressure washing had blown all that dirt & grime all over the front & side of the Brand new, 2 week old GMC Terrain. At this point I'm pissed. I drive down to the office & ask him to come outside. I said look at this, his response was, "Are you trying to say we did this?" I said well, yeah. The guy pressure washing, we didn't have anyone pressure washing. I said really? Then what was the guy doing with the machine with water coming out of it beside the building yesterday?! You need to speak with the owner. The owner comes out & looks at it & immediately starts to apologize. He said, "Looks like he wasn't paying attention when he was washing. I said yes but the other guy said no one was pressure washing. He offered to have it washed, pay for it to be washed, etc. I declined & went & washed it myself because I was just to mad to stand there anymore. Things did start getting better but the day I was leaving, Friday morning, I go out to put the first load in & what did I see, that little [--] had done it again with the pressure washer. Not as bad as the first time but still. So, do I chalk this up as a really bad time in my life & give them another try? They did finally get the TV working & the internet up & running. The room was ok, there was a little mold above the shower in the bathroom. I just don't know how you can have employees that have no respect for your customers belongings. The cleaning lady was very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Spangdahlem, Germany
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a very unpleasant experience when we stayed 7/10/13! The roll-away bed was a joke, it sagged severely like a hammock. The elevator only worked going up to 2nd floor but not down. Blood was found on the sheets (pics on blog) and room smelled musty and of stale cigarettes in our non-smoking room. The room phone would only work if messed with, then stopped working completely. Wi-fi was a joke! We were across from the main office and could barley get a signal, let along get it to let us log in. Husband got stung by a wasp up his shirt in bed at 3 am, no one would answer the front desk phone when we tried to call then. The Air Conditioner was not working properly and I kept waking up sweating despite it being on the coldest setting and full blast. Woke up to ants covering the bathroom floor, despite being up 3 stories. Shower was draining super slow. Also parking was super tight as well. We did not stay the 2nd night but checked out and found another hotel instead! The only perk was the location on the Parkway but so not worth staying there for our family!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Gatlinburg hotels

Montverde, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Quality Inn for a second stay while in Gatlinburg..our first visit was wonderful, this time the reception staff wasn't quite as friendly, the rooms were not as clean and the maintenance was shabby.
The location is great, and overall we enjoyed the room...however, we had a maintenance concern while there and called the front desk on the first night to be told the issue would be taken care of the next day (a flickering fluorescent light bulb on the back porch). When we returned to our room after a long day, the issue was not resolved, so we went downstairs to inquire about it. We were told, rather rudely, that maintenance was gone for the day. When I told the gentleman that is why we called the night before, he grudgingly said he would send someone up to fix it. I also mentioned that the hairdryer wasn't working. We went to dinner. When we returned, a hairdryer was sitting on the edge of the counter (they didn't even install it...we did in about 30 seconds) but they did take care of the light bulb.
After our first night, we made our own bed and went off for the day. We did receive towel service but no other cleaning was done (trash not emptied, etc). Not a big deal, but added on top of the other "issues" it was apparent that the hotel staff does not remember they are in a service industry...their product (the rooms) and their service (front desk, cleaning and maintenance) all fell short this trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
White House, TN
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and two daughters were in Gatlinburg during the 4th of July week, and stayed at the Quality Inn Creekside. This is the first 4th we stayed in Gatlinburg, but we visit several times a year. The Inn is much better than most Gatlinburg accommodations in the same price range. Very convenient location right next door to the Calhoun, Cherokee Grill and Smokey Mountain Brewery shopping center. Most of the center is now vacant, but location, location, location is key to this inn. These three are good meals next door to In.. Howards is an old established steak house next door to the driveway to the main Inn complex, and as some reviews note they have additional rooms on top of the hill where we stayed. Clerk touted as being best for the fireworks show. Had mountain view, second floor room, but trees were the only view we, or any rooms on this side had. Other side viewed parking lot, which would have been better for the firework show. We did have a visitor one night, a mother racoon that provided some amusement. The steep driveway to the hill rooms is an issue, but the elevator is readily an alternative. Down hill not bad. Up hill for only the more fit. At the bottom of the steep hill driveway is the Pancake pantry so food is covered morning, noon and night. The inn pool is down the hill next to the Leconte Creek which runs through the Inn parking lot. Condos on either side of hill rooms has pool for condo use only. Inn pool is salt water heated, and a big hit with the 13 year old who spent as much time there as possible. Small kiddy pool attached. No adult spa pool, some rooms have in room spas. Most of rooms on lower parking lot have fireplaces as well. Unlike most pools, this one has a creek for the adults to enjoy while the kids are in the pool. Very relaxing. Breakfast at Inn is standard fare. They did provide Krispy Creme doughnuts. Much better than powder doughnuts at most hotels. Clerks run tight ship. Pool closes at 10:30 sharp. They lock the gates, no exception, so run for the nearest gate as soon as you see them, or let them choose the gate you leave by. Rooms were standard fare. Clean. Very small bathroom, door barely cleared the toilet. Microwave and fridge next to the entry door. Small dorm size fridge. Issue if people coming in and out, fridge door and entry door compete for same space. Hair dryer had better days, but usable. Sink is outside bath area, so early risers will wake the late risers. TV reception is NOT great. Old style TV. Normally do not spend much time in room watching TV but very rainy week. ONLY major complaint is the WIFI. I am seasoned traveler but connecting to laptop was impossible. Connection to smart phone required reboots several times a day to make connection. Daughters Iphone was no better, and her laptop would connect at times. Pool connection was totally different, rarely any connected. If you go on the 4th, fireworks occur at intersection #3 on other side of Gatlinburg. From the parking lot, most did not clear the trees. The 4th of July parade ends at the National Park entrance, so the Inn is near the end of parade route. If you are there for the candy and handouts, walk to the other end of town. Overall we will return to Creekside Inn. Staff helpful, rooms better than most, price better then most. Grounds and parking lots may appear messy, they did remove the Christmas tree debris behind the maintenance shed while we were there, but appears they are fixing up the AC units, and that may be the reason for the disarray. Our AC unit cycled on and off, short cycle every other time, so it can be annoying. If you like sleeping with door open for mountain air, and sounds of nature, hillside mountain view would be best. No one can see in with trees. Recommend if you cannot afford the BEST places in town, this is a VERY GOOD alternative.

Room Tip: Hill side balcony parking side if there for 4th fireworks or New Years fireworks which are near the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is not for everyone. A little older and not the most modern. If you are on a budget and like to frequent family owned businesses this is a good choice. Larger, older rooms, some suites on the original Creekside property and a New Tower just north on the property. Smokey Mountains Brew Pub is on site as is a small collection of local retail shops. Property is very well located for Smokey Mountain day trips and Downtown Gaitlinburg entertainment. On-site breakfast is low quality, but plenty of places walking distance.

Room Tip: There are some large suites on the lower property, also some walk out to pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I shared room 141 overlooking LeConte creek during our oh-so-short honeymoon in August of 2001 and it was wonderful -- clean, everything worked right, the TV was large enough to see from the king size bed when we surfaced, fun continental breakfast, great staff, and we could visit two of the Burg's best restaurants in our slippers (Howard's for breakfast and Best Italian for supper)! Also, the Cherokee Grill (perfect dinners), a great live-music beer hall, a super wind chime and candle shop and a first-rate barbecue restaurant are all just footsteps away.

We have visited almost annually since, stereo-recorded the creek after midnight for solace (gave copies to the hotel staff and our family & friends for stress relief), and will go back as many anniversaries as we can.

You will love it!!!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the creek if you can!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This place is very close to downtown Gatlinburg right off the strip. They have two buildings and depending on which building you end up in will determine your enjoyment. The first building (which I call the main building) is right off the strip next to the office. This one has a creek running next to it with balcony rooms. This one is also on level ground with the strip. The second building is a driveway up the strip and has no creek or balcony rooms and is uphill off the strip. If you get in the first building it is really nice, if you get in the second building not so much so. They do have a free breakfast which is really nice, eggs, biscuits and gravy, and other hot items, if you want to save a little money on food. This place is about as low price wise as you will find in Gatlinburg and is right off the strip which is really nice.

Room Tip: Try to book a creekside room so you don't have to walk uphill.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family