“Unless your skiing, not really much to do”

Ober Gatlinburg Amusement Park & Ski Area
Ranked #22 of 113 things to do in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Owner description: From downtown Gatlinburg, hop on to the 120 passenger aerial tramway for a ride to this ski area with a 600-foot vertical drop, nine beautiful trails and an amusement park complete with indoor ice skating, wildlife encounter, Alpine Slide, water rides and more.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ober Gatlinburg is basically for people looking to do some skiing, snowboard, tubing in the winter season. I've been here in the winter and in the summer and they have some outdoor activities during the summer like mini golf, water slide, alpine slide but the main purpose of this place is winter sports. They do have an ice skating rink and Carousel in the main building but do I want to ride the tram for that? There's a few shops and some eateries but that's it.

One thing to be aware of if you are interested in tubing you need to buy tickets early and you have to be onsite to buy those tickets you can't buy them down the the mountain.

Overall there is really not much to do up here unless your looking to ski.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,494)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Tram has been in Gatlinburg for a long time and if your looking to head up to Ober Gatlinburg Amusement Park and Ski Resort then this is a good way to do it without driving your own vehicle all the way up the mountain. It's always good to try to get along the windows when getting on the tram but there is plenty of hand straps in the middle to hold onto.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Plan your trip early. Do not wait to the afternoon if you must go.we had never been and it was quit an experience. You wait in one line to wait in the next. Now if you have your own gear.. You are fine, but newbies like us. It was a cattle call. The employees were nice. Especially mikey for teaching. He was very fun! But the longer you were there the ground became more packed. It was literally like " trying" to ski down an ice rink. I had never done this, so I was doomed from the start. Good thing is that everyone was friendly and helpful. The place to me smelled like cat spray. I later looked it up because I found it odd. It may have to do with the wildlife there. Not sure, but it was horrible in some areas. We will go back but with a different plan in mind. We only did the snowboarding.. If that is what you want to call what I did. Lol. The kids would enjoy it just tubing. It is pricey. We are military so it helps. But just plan to go early!!!! Grab discounts when you can! Hope this helps:)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Me and my family love riding the tram up to the ski resort. The shops had a huge sale 75% off. We always snack at the cafe, then we ride the scenic chair lift up the mountain. It is always fun and the staff are always helpful!!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Me and my family love riding the Aerial Tramway. I use to be afraid of heights and get motion sickness very easy, but the ride to the ski resort is very smooth. The staff is very nice and point out interesting cabins and chalets on the way. The view alone is totally worth a ticket to ride. Can't wait to ride it again!!