“Good for the little and big fishes too”

Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies
Ranked #2 of 119 things to do in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, TN, is literally teeming with life - over 10,000 exotic sea creatures in 350 individual species. There are more fish in this aquarium than there are people living in the entire town of Gatlinburg!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Reviewed August 22, 2014

This is a smaller than usual aquarium with some unique exhibits as well as classic ones. The coolest in the sting ray; Sharks; Crabs all are very well featured. A few hours to kill before dinner, this is the place to be with your family.

1  Thank Smith R
Dakota E, Manager at Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thank you for the review! I’m happy that you had a great experience! The fact that you mentioned you enjoyed a lot of our animals means a lot to us! We hope to have you back soon! Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (12,158)
All reviews
in 245 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 160 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We visited this aquarium during our recent trip to the Smokies. The moving shark tunnel is very impressive and my son bonded with a penguin that would mimic his movements. You could spend 2.5 to 3 hours here and really enjoy yourself. There were a few animal encounters, but it would be nice if there was a few more hands-on stuff for the kids. Overall, I highly recommend visiting here especially if it is rainy or very hot day in the Smokies.

1  Thank Megan L

Thank you for the review! I am glad that your experience was everything you expected it to be! We hope you will come visit us again soon! We love to read that you enjoyed our exhibits and that your son bonded with a penguin, that is hilarious that it would follow him around, they are funny and entertaining animals. Thank you!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to the aquarium. It takes a couple of hours to really see everything but it is time well spent.

Thank you for the review! I am glad that your experience was everything you expected it to be! We hope you will come visit us again soon! Thank you!

Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

I have been to a lot of different attractions and theme parks. This ranks as one of the best experiences I have had. It ranks above Busch gardens and is on the same level as Disney. It is on a smaller scale than Disney, but they do an excellent job. I honestly can't imagine an aquarium being more breathtaking as this one. I was completely shocked about how great this aquarium was. It beats out the National aquarium in Baltimore by a mile and is much cheaper to boot. They must have hired someone away from Disney, because they are doing something extremely well here. Again, it was one of the best attraction experiences I have ever had. I wanted to stay longer, but others were ready to go. DON'T MISS THIS! It is worth every red cent!

Thank you for your review! I am very glad to read your comment, it lets us know that we are doing our job for our customers. It means a lot to us that you mentioned that we are on the same level or close to Disney. I wish that you could have stayed longer since you wanted to but hey, maybe next time! We hope that you will come back to visit us again soon! Thank you!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 21, 2014

This aquarium was pretty fun. There was an impressive moving sidewalk that takes you through part of the aquarium. We liked this because you didn't have to bump into people to look at the exhibits. We got to pet a jelly fish. This aquarium is not quite as impressive as the ones in Chicago or Boston, but for a smaller aquarium it holds its own. The shark tank is impressive. We would go again.

Thank you for the review! I am glad that your experience was everything you expected it to be! We can't for you to come visit us again soon! We love to read that you enjoyed the jellyfish and the shark tunnel. Thank you!