“Beautiful with unique fish”

Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies
Ranked #2 of 90 things to do in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, TN, is literally teeming with life - over 10,000 exotic sea creatures in 350 individual species. There are more fish in this aquarium than there are people living in the entire town of Gatlinburg!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went to the Aquarium on Thanksgiving Day. I have been here before and I love it. On this day I was ill and needed the assistance of a wheel chair. I still enjoyed the aquarium. There are a couple of places to get food. Restrooms are around the aquarium. There are not enough benchs. If I would have had to walk I would not have made it. Mobility imparded people would have a hard time with wheel chairs. I really enjoyed the aquarium and will go back again next time I go to Gatlinburg. All of the staff is very friendly and helpful. We did not have any teens but we were all family and adults. This is something they do not allow in the questions so this was the best answer or closest. The aquarium is beautiful and I enjoyed watching them feed the penguins a lot. This was the first time I have seen that. I have seen them swim with the stingrays before on our last visit. But the penguins are so cute you want to take them with you. They have a huge variety of fish of all kinds and seeing the way they put all of this together and such a good enviroment that is not only beautiful but safe. It has some educational parts that teach about water filtration. I love the coral area. And not to mention all the colors of all the fish and the different styles and kinds. It is amazing how they can keep all of them alive in such different requirements. They do great work. Well worth seeing.

Write a ReviewReviews (12,950)
All reviews
in 247 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 158 reviews

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Ripley's is a really cool aquarium. Very well laid out, you can find a way to see everything. Kids loved the pet a ray section at the end. Exhibits are very vibrant and the whole place is well maintained. Very clean overall and just a good time for a family. The only real drawback is that the place can get a little too crowded at times because it is right in the heart of downtown Gatlinburg. Just pick your spot in the day to go.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

As far as attractions in the immediate area go, this is definitely the best place to go. It is huge and has some great displays. The highlight is the underwater tunnel. It is full of sharks and very long with lots to see! Go!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I believe it was great. Got to see different animals and enjoyed watching them as well and the amazing sea animals and the huge tank with the big fishes. We thought it was a great place to visit.

1  Thank LMJ_2011