“First AND last time visit!”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Marietta
“First AND last time visit!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2005

The Westgate was such a disappointment! When we drove up it looked great, a little congested but our hopes were still high. After all we had seen all those virtual photos of these great rooms with garden tubs and the works. Check-in was interesting and in all fairness the young lady who checked us in was very nice. A gentleman in a golf cart escorted us to our studio, it was a bit of hassle, but I'm flexible! Then we arrived at our room...whoa! It was like a cave, one little window when you enter the room then you’re in this LITTLE slanted roof, cave-like structure that has an uncomfortable sofa bed jammed right next to the queen size bed! I could forget about the bath that I was looking forward to because this unit only had a stand-up shower! You could hear the neighbors like they were in the same room and you had to keep the ceiling fan on or die! We ran to check out the next morning – 1. Because they charge your credit card an addition $60 bucks if you are not out by 10:00 on the dot and 2. I discovered I have claustrophobia! To add insult to injury they overcharged me for the room! When I mentioned it at check out I got the run around and finally a number that was of course even more run around! This place is the pits!

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
27 Thank bosachica
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2015
Thank you for your inquiry. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we have improved on.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Arabic first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2005

FIRST, they put us in the wrong room-we were to have a balcony, jacuzzi, stereo, large screen tv-BUT we were put in a tiny motel type room with a kitchenette, soap, shampoo or ice machines are not offered. The walls and ceilings are paper thin. Very noisy. Room service woke us up at 11:45pm because they had the WRONG room that had called. We asked for a wake up call in order to be on time to our sales pitch-no one ever called. Thankfully there was an alarm clock in the room. At the sales pitch they tried to make us buy by offering us the CORRECT room for our last night. When we didn't buy anything it was never mentioned to us again. Too much hassle to deal with to ever return there. Listen closely to their "pitch" and don't buy without reading the fine print. To top it all off-this was our HONEYMOON trip! What memories.

• Stayed March 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2005

Our family of 4 stayed in a studio unit the week of March 28-April 2, located behind the construction for the waterpark and playground. This unit was also in close proximity to the main heated pool and hot tub and main building.
We did enjoy our vacation and the vairety of things that the area has to offer. I'm sure in the future when the waterpark is complete and there are a more activites available, (horseback riding, larger fitness centre) that I'd give the resort a higher rating.
The unit was small but sufficient for our needs, and very clean. However the sofa bed was not comfortable and the noise from other units carries too easily. We awoke out of a sleep at 7 am one morning, when someone was leaving on a sightseeing tour. Keeping the air unit on does help drown out some of the noise.The heated pool and hot tub were an assest and we used these at least every day, although the hot tub should have better maintainence. There was always ample towels and paper products dropped off to our unit by the cleaning staff and they were frequently at the pool, wiping off chairs and emptying garbage containers.
The staff at the front desk could be more helpful though, as we felt like we were disturbing them asking questions. The sales reps seem to 'exaggerate' on the number of activities for owners. As we were laying by the pool, sales reps were going past telling potential owners of the Thursday night 'pool parties' for owners. Curious about this, we inquired at the front desk and were told 'we are the last ones to know'. Our customer service rep for the week was out of town and when he was back, he was late for our pre-approved time.
We would still come back to this resort, although I don't quantify this as a 5-star resort, but there is potential for the future, with more amenities and customer service oriented staff. For this resort, you must be willing to venture out and discover things on your own and through other guests.

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

NE Tennessee, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2005

My husband and I went to a presentation 3-12-05 and elected to buy a timeshare while we were there- a 1 bedroom, yellow week. The property really is beautiful and we decided to invest in taking vacations.

I remembered reading about the cancellation policy on one of the documents I signed. I asked if I would get all copies and was told yes, I will even give it to you on a CD. I received a case with a lot of literature and an envelope with the paperwork in it and went home- we live about 90 miles away.

After doing some math, I realized that for the next 10 years, I would be spending 2,000 per year on this week alone, and that I had taken "yellow" time that we couldn't use with our daughter's school, but was told we could book red time (peak) as long as it was within 30 days. After reading reviews and seeing paperwork about the maintainence fee increasing $100 within a couple of years and trouble getting booked, I decided to double check the cancellation policy to see how much time we had to think about it.

IT WASN'T IN THERE. After finagling with the CD, (a document ID is required, and it doesn't say to look at the CD sleeve. No problem as I am fairly computer literate, but a lot of people aren't) I found a 109 pg document, looked at the index for right to cancel and scrolled to it. It only said 15 days to cancel if you have not toured the property. On the very first page, in caps (by law, I am sure) I found the info to cancel- 10 days if you HAVE toured- now I am not an idiot but breezed right by that.

The "closer" had given us his business card, & said to call within 30 days if we needed help- the address on it was in Florida, but was not the right one to cancel. It also said requests must be made in writing, not a telephone call. Needless to say, certified letters (return rcpt requested) are now on the way to the resort and the address in Florida to cancel. I am not willing to take this kind of chance on our family's vacations. I can book it online for a lot cheaper with all the same benefits of being an owner anyway.

34 Thank Simply_Renee

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2005

I have just returned from a three(3) day vacation at the Westgate Resort. We stayed in a studio type room, but it was very nice, not crowded, and I've read some opinions about other people visit of how bad it was, like noisey, or couldn't get service when asked for it. Well, it was not noisey at all, and we got great service when we asked for it, and it didn't take but about five(5) or ten(10) mins., for them to get there. Yes, I did buy one of them and haven't had the time to make any complaint yet, because this was my first time staying there, so don't know how payments, or reservation problems or any things else, but if I do, I will write about it, but as of right now on February 21 - 24, 2005, my family and I had a great time. And about the other things that they said they are building on the site, on Tuesday Feb. 22, they broke ground for the new waterpark right in front of where we were staying, how do I know this, because we, my family witness them breaking ground. As for now, great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2005
15 Thank Jeffrey S

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2005

We toured Westgate Resort back in 2003. And yes they did try to talk us into buying a timeshare there. We declined but the salesperson asked us if we wanted to try it out by purchasing a weeks vacation and we did. We went January 21, 2005 and stayed 5 nights of our 7. We were first told we could split the week but found out when we placed our reservations we couldn't and since we didn't have enough vacation time we could only stay 5 nights instead of the 7. Our 2 bedroom unit was very nice. We never heard another person even though the other two units in our building were occupied. The staff was very nice and accommodating and yes they asked that we meet with them again and again the salesperson tried to sale us a timeshare and again we declined. We felt like we were under no pressure to purchase. My advice to anyone if you have doubts about buying the timeshare purchase a week's vacation to see if it is right for you BEFORE you buy or sign on the dotted line! This resort would be great for a family with young children. From what we could tell there were lots of activities to do plus there will be more (they told us) in the future. Our children are grown and we just didn't think it was right for us. Plus, when visiting the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area we like to stay in different places and different cabins so it wasn't for us but....even though we didn't buy we still got great service from the staff and everyone was very friendly and the unit was as nice as a cabin would have been.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Cedarburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2005

We were there the week after Thanksgiving, 2004. We too endured noisy evenings and called security many times. Some times it helped & other times it didnt.

We also had problems with our fireplace not working. 3 calls and 1 day later it was fixed.

So much for the promised improvements, there are none. Over 4 years we recieved promises with nothing ever happening.

We had to watch our grandson swim outdoors in 30 to 40 deg. weather while we sat on chairs in our winter atire.

The front desk was less than friendly, actually down right RUDE & We were not given the rooms that we reserved 10 months in advance.

The rooms show extreme wear and tear,& they say what do you expect? Where did our $400.00 + maint. fee go?

There are many new hotels in the area that are a better value and happy to have you stay with them.

We didnt find 1 person there that really new what was happening. They kept referring us to someone else and they didn't know anything either.

36 Thank SteveSallyK