“Great place to stay with kids”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
San Francisco Bay Area
“Great place to stay with kids”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

The rooms are clean and spacious. Very well equiped kitchen and living area. Resort has indoor water slide park, children's playground, swimming pools and dog run all on the property. They also have some organized activities and the trolly to town stops on the property. The downside is that right now if you are staying at the top buildings it is very far to the swimming pool and you need to take the shuttle to the pool which can be a hassle. They are supposed to build a new pool at the top in the future. Also, some of the ajoining walls seem thin and we could hear neighbors conversations, arguments and music.

1 Thank SFBayAreaTraveler_9
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Arabic first
souderton
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Our stay at this resort was amazing. Everything was perfect. there were no bugs. It was clean and welll appointed. The staff was extemely friendly. the only criticism that I had was the misrepresentation of a welcome breakfast which turned out to be a ridiculous attempt to upsell our current timeshare ownership. We were very pleased the resort is a great deal of fun and the location is perfectly centered between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I was very happy with our stay

Boones Mill, VA
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I have to admit I was nervous about going to this resort after reading some of these reviews!! Just like another person has written on here, SOME PEOPLE LOVE TO COMPLAIN!! And typically most people will write a review if they want to complain and if they had a great time, they do not. Just like the news, all the focus is on the negative and not the positive. We did stay in the efficiency unit, yes it is alittle small, but you do have a mid-size refrigerator, small stove (no oven) , dishwasher, and a microwave. Not to bad, because you do save ALOT of money by cooking your own meals. The bed was comfortable the couch was AWESOME. The A/C unit was alittle loud. The bathroom was nice. The swimming pool at bottom of hill was very crowded after the waterpark closed. Alot of traffic, but to be expected. Good security. The on-site store is conveinent. Overall Great time!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Tupelo, MS
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My family and I went to Gatlinburg to celebrate my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. We had reserved a condo with 3 bedrooms and a common area so we could all be together for the week. When we got there we were told that there was not a condo available. I showed them the reservation conformation and they stated that the resvervations were not made through them, but through an agency and they would not honor the reservation. In time, they did give each couple A room each with a queen size bed, a small couch, a tv and small refrig. There was no tub--just a shower and there was NO cleaning of the rooms the entire week--not even clean towels or clean sheets for 8 nights! There was a fee of $5 per 15 minutes to use the WI-FI and there was NO cellphone tower unless you had Verizon. There is a charge of 75 cents for each local call including calling the front desk or another room on the site. There were several golfcarts zipping around the grounds and they hardly looked up to see if anyone was coming, so you have to drive and walk at your own risk! The toilets overflowed in the entire building one day and another day the toilet didn't flush. The front staff was rude and obnoxious. You also have to pay to use the waterpark on the grounds. There is a pamphlet in the rooms that say that they "would make sure you have a comfortible stay and they would make right any problem during the stay." THIS IS A LIE!! The staff could care less about you. The staff in the restuarant were not interested in seating you quickly, even when no one else was in there. I would NEVER go to this place for any reason--even if it was free. The only positive thing was that the night time security officer named Scott was nice and helpful. He had been contacted when my brother had been given a key at the front desk to a room that was already occupied by someone else!!!!!!

3 Thank dixiethunder

Ohio
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I have read all of the bad reviews on this website and can honestly say that I think some people just like to complain.
My family and I have traveled with Westgate for the past 3 years and have taken four vacations in Westgate Resorts. We have never had the problems that some of these people have had.
We went in May to Gatlinburg and were so impressed with the room. There were five of us and we were very comfortable in a one bedroom. Not the efficiency but a true one bedroom. (I think this is where a lot of people's complaints come from). Our kids slept like babies on the pull out sofa and my husband and I had no complaints with the bed or bedding.
The staff was incredibly friendly and we had no wait time checking in or being shown to our room. Our kids absolutely loved the waterpark which was free to us because we are owners. The shuttle picked us up whenever we wanted to go down there and brought us back to the room without any problems.
Food was great at the restaraunt. We had breakfast there. Also saved a ton of money by eating meals we could cook in our kitchen. (Yes, they need Teflon pans!)
Great location because both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and the GSMNP are just minutes away.
We didn't have a problem with any noise (except the loud toilets). Not a big deal!
We got to bring our dog with us which was wonderful.
Tons of stuff to do in the area! Never were bored.
I think it depends on the kind of person you are. If you focus on the negative then you are going to be unhappy....in life as well!
I could spend a bunch of time saying they need more green spaces to walk the dogs and the pans didn't have teflon and the shower mirror fell off of the shower wall (fixed within 30 min) and there were golf carts, and the hill was steep where we parked...blah blah blah
But seriously, we had an awesome vacation and the room was what we expected with a very friendly staff. Great location, great service, great experience!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

New Jersey, USA
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Each villa has everything you could need. The resort had an indoor water park and 2 outdoor pools. They were expanding while we were there. It will soon have much more and a restaurant. The resort was situated nicely btween downtown Gatlingurg and Pigeon Forge. Smoky Mountain National park was very close also. This area is booming and we had no idea there would be so much to do.
The resort has a log cabin atmosphere yet all the ameities. The only downside was the amount of people taking tours to buy timeshares.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

Sharpsburg, Georgia
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Wanting to get away after our daughter got out of school, we made reservations at Westgate for May 30th, checking out June 1st. I saw some questionable reviews on Trip Advisor and was a little bit nervous about staying there, but we kept our reservations. Here's our experience.. The room was very nice.. we upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom and was impressed. Granite countertops in the kitchen, Maytag appliances, fireplace in living room, two bathrooms, awesome view. Not one staff member approached us on a timeshare presentation. I've seen reviews where people complained about the pillows, but the hotel does not claim to have the luxurious bedding some hotels do, so they shouldn't have been surprised. The sheets were a little bit like hospital sheets (stiff), but once again, they promised no upscale bedding, so it was no big deal to us. I guess "the bad" part, if you can call it that, was some noise from other guests entering their room. The buildings are set up like condos, so you share a foyer with another guest, so you do hear them come and go, but it's no big deal. Other than that noise, I heard no more noise in the room than any other hotel we've stayed at. Now, for "the ugly" and I do mean ugly.. After our first night's stay, I noticed I had some bug bites on me. I didn't remember getting bit while walking around Gatlinburg at night, so I just brushed it off, but I was woken in the middle of the night, scratching. On the morning we checked out, I woke up, went into the bathroom, looked down and saw little black bugs on my ankle!! GROSS!! These bugs were biting me while I was sleeping. We were able to kill six of the bugs, put them on a paper towel and kept them to show the staff when we checked out. Totally disgusted, we hurried up and finished packing. I went in the bathroom to make sure we had everything and I noticed that I had two more bugs on my ankle. These bugs jump like fleas, though they don't look like the typical dog flea you're used to seeing on dogs. So obviously, the whole room is infested with these bugs. Does the hotel not spray their rooms for bugs? They charge a fee for pets, so what is that fee going towards? My husband went to check out, told them about the bugs and was told this was a housekeeping problem. He waited a good 15 minutes for someone in housekeeping to show up.. they apologized, but wondered why we waited until we checked out to report this.. Well, had we known the first day that it was bugs in the bed, we would have, but until we saw them on me, we had no idea. We assumed we'd get a call back regarding this, but my husband ended up calling the manager. She knew nothing about the incident and after my husband explained everything, she said she'd look into it and get back to him. This morning he calls me from work to say that the manager offered us free water park tickets for our inconvenience. Are you kidding me? My feet look absolutely awful. I have between 3 and 5 DOZEN bites on my body. I have bites on my abdomen, legs, arms and back, too. We should have been offered some kind of refund on our room, if not the full amount. It's a shame that a nice hotel like this has a problem with bugs, (I've seen another review about bugs) and you'd think they'd do a little more for the guests who do have to experience this, but they obviously don't care. We were actually thinking of going back there for Thanksgiving, but after this experience, we will never stay at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort again. I'd post photos of my bites, but I don't wanna gross everyone out. I highly suggest that you call the hotel directly if you're thinking about going there, and ask them specifically if they've taken care of the bed bug problem. If they say they don't have a bed bug problem, make your reservations elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family