“so much to do”

Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
New Jersey, USA
“so much to do”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Each villa has everything you could need. The resort had an indoor water park and 2 outdoor pools. They were expanding while we were there. It will soon have much more and a restaurant. The resort was situated nicely btween downtown Gatlingurg and Pigeon Forge. Smoky Mountain National park was very close also. This area is booming and we had no idea there would be so much to do.
The resort has a log cabin atmosphere yet all the ameities. The only downside was the amount of people taking tours to buy timeshares.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Wanting to get away after our daughter got out of school, we made reservations at Westgate for May 30th, checking out June 1st. I saw some questionable reviews on Trip Advisor and was a little bit nervous about staying there, but we kept our reservations. Here's our experience.. The room was very nice.. we upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom and was impressed. Granite countertops in the kitchen, Maytag appliances, fireplace in living room, two bathrooms, awesome view. Not one staff member approached us on a timeshare presentation. I've seen reviews where people complained about the pillows, but the hotel does not claim to have the luxurious bedding some hotels do, so they shouldn't have been surprised. The sheets were a little bit like hospital sheets (stiff), but once again, they promised no upscale bedding, so it was no big deal to us. I guess "the bad" part, if you can call it that, was some noise from other guests entering their room. The buildings are set up like condos, so you share a foyer with another guest, so you do hear them come and go, but it's no big deal. Other than that noise, I heard no more noise in the room than any other hotel we've stayed at. Now, for "the ugly" and I do mean ugly.. After our first night's stay, I noticed I had some bug bites on me. I didn't remember getting bit while walking around Gatlinburg at night, so I just brushed it off, but I was woken in the middle of the night, scratching. On the morning we checked out, I woke up, went into the bathroom, looked down and saw little black bugs on my ankle!! GROSS!! These bugs were biting me while I was sleeping. We were able to kill six of the bugs, put them on a paper towel and kept them to show the staff when we checked out. Totally disgusted, we hurried up and finished packing. I went in the bathroom to make sure we had everything and I noticed that I had two more bugs on my ankle. These bugs jump like fleas, though they don't look like the typical dog flea you're used to seeing on dogs. So obviously, the whole room is infested with these bugs. Does the hotel not spray their rooms for bugs? They charge a fee for pets, so what is that fee going towards? My husband went to check out, told them about the bugs and was told this was a housekeeping problem. He waited a good 15 minutes for someone in housekeeping to show up.. they apologized, but wondered why we waited until we checked out to report this.. Well, had we known the first day that it was bugs in the bed, we would have, but until we saw them on me, we had no idea. We assumed we'd get a call back regarding this, but my husband ended up calling the manager. She knew nothing about the incident and after my husband explained everything, she said she'd look into it and get back to him. This morning he calls me from work to say that the manager offered us free water park tickets for our inconvenience. Are you kidding me? My feet look absolutely awful. I have between 3 and 5 DOZEN bites on my body. I have bites on my abdomen, legs, arms and back, too. We should have been offered some kind of refund on our room, if not the full amount. It's a shame that a nice hotel like this has a problem with bugs, (I've seen another review about bugs) and you'd think they'd do a little more for the guests who do have to experience this, but they obviously don't care. We were actually thinking of going back there for Thanksgiving, but after this experience, we will never stay at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort again. I'd post photos of my bites, but I don't wanna gross everyone out. I highly suggest that you call the hotel directly if you're thinking about going there, and ask them specifically if they've taken care of the bed bug problem. If they say they don't have a bed bug problem, make your reservations elsewhere.

3 Thank 2Beagles4Me

Virginia
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We traded in another timeshare for this one before reading the reviews on this site, so we were not expecting much when we got there. We were pleasantly surprised that our 1 bedroom condo was big enough to fit pack in plays for our twin boys. We were in building 304 on the 2nd floor, and this unit was right across from the restaurant and gym, near the pool and the waterpark. We liked our room, but the studio that we saw was tiny. Not too much noise from neighbors but the golf carts & construction equipment made us feel like we were in the city. My kids enjoyed the waterpark, my wife and I enjoyed the on site restaurant and the pizza delivery option, and the place was right between Gatlinburg & Pidgeon Forge. By taking the Gatliburg bypass we could be in the GSMNP within minutes which is where we spent most of our time. We canceled the sales pitch since we have owned an Orlando time share since the 90's. My only issue with the staff is that they gave us the wrong address to the Emergency room when one of our boys was sick - thank God for our car's GPS! Great location, good amenities on site, cabins were hit or miss, staff was friendly, the kids liked the water park. Too many golf carts zipping by and the cabins being too close together is our main issue. It would be nice if they added some free weights in the gym and added dumbells up to 120 lbs, but I was able to get a decent workout there.

1 Thank Geogr4_Sam

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We just spent a few days at Westgate in Gatlinburg. We had a studio which was a bit small, but it did have a kitchen. The room was clean, but the walls are like paper. If I would have raised my voice only a little, I could have easily carried a conversation with someone next door. Studios, evidently, do not have a balcony. The outdoor pool is heated which is nice on a cool mountain night. I have seen in some other reviews that former guest speak of the staff trying to sell them a timeshare. I did not have anyone try to sell me anything. The staff were nice, and I was for the most part pleased. I would not suggest getting a studio though. Spend the extra money, if you can, and get a larger room.

portland maine
Reviewed May 17, 2009

got to stay at relatives' time share. the unit was pretty but loud. it had a balcony which was nice. there is a great little playground for the kids, and the waterpark it totally awesome. However, I was troubled by what a heinous development this is from an environmental standpoint, it is so poorly designed and they just carved off the top of one of the mountains to slap a big ugly apt complex on it. depressing.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelpatch

Lehigh Valley, PA
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We are not Westgate owners, but booked this resort as a trade. Had I read the reviews prior to booking, I may have been scared off. Glad I didn't, because we really liked this resort. The resort was just far enough from Gatlinburg to be away from the noise and crowds but was a designated stop for the Gatlinburg Trolley; a real plus since parking in Gatlinburg was a hassle.

We found our units to be very comfortable and well stocked with everything in working order (could use towel racks in the bathrooms). We actually found the beds to be more comfortable at this resort than at the Opryland Hotel (the last leg of our trip).

The staff was friendly and helpful. Although there was a pitch to attend a resort presentation, it was very low key and the staff member wasn't the least put off when we declined.

We didn't use the water park (no kids along on this trip) but it appeared to be a really nice spot for families with children. The resort also offered some free activities/entertainment on the property which we took advantage of and enjoyed.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at this property and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your inquiry. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we now have to offer.

Mappsville, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Overall we enjoyed the resort. It is very clean the staff are very helpful and on the spot if you need anything. The first night we checked in was a disaster, the kitchen was missing alot of the utensils and we had to contact the staff to get them replaced. We checked in with small children one is a baby. No one thought to let us know that there are playpens and high chairs available. We took a stab in the dark and was pleased to find that they were available. The person who shows you your room will tell you of a tour of the resort and give you a date. We found out during the tour that it was really a sales pitch to buy at their resort. Buying your tickets through the resort concierge may not be the best price, we went to the aquarim and found the tickets cheaper there. The city of Gatlinburg has two places that children can fish free and the kids were able to catch their first fish there. If you exchange into this resort, you don't get the same amenities that the owner who traded their time through Interval International does. We received maid service midway through the week, I've stayed at other resorts where we were told in advance of the service and once the service was performed the maid left a note to let you know they had been in your room, none of this was done. You will have to pay $40.00 per week internet service and if you want to use the onsite waterpark the adult ticket is $18.00. If your aware of all this when you exchange in and your in agreement then you should have a good time.