“Hated it!”

Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Brownstown Indiana
“Hated it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

First of all, I booked a "one bedroom" online. Well, let me just say for $600.00 it was a one room!! We had our 2 pre-teen kids with us and they slept on the pull out sofa right next to our bed!! Our lovely neighbors entertained us two different nights doing their laundry at 1 and 2 a.m. Also, we had to climb 5 flights of stairs to our crackerbox! We were escorted to our room by a woman who took forever to explain nothing!! We were given a brochure that stated after the 4th day of our stay they would come and bring clean towels, etc. Not true!! I did the laundry myself one day, just so we would have clean towels! And on the evening of our 4th day, we called and they said "no, that is only if you are staying 7 days." Also, 2 different times we called the "special" # in case there were problems, once at 1 a.m. and nobody answered the phone! We will never stay here again and would never recommend this place to anyone either!

3 Thank mcnat007
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we now have to offer.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Arabic first
TCollin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

My husband and I had previously stayed at Westgate Resort about 2 years ago so I decided to give it another try. I booked it online and called twice to make sure everything was set. We got to Gatlinburg and went to check in at 4:00 like the paperwork said. They checked us into a HOTEL! We went up to the room and no joke I have pics of this! The room was N@sty! There was blinds on the wall and when I opened it there was a wall there, there was dogfood on the floor, the shower had dirty footprints in it, hair all in the tub, pubic hairs all over the bathroom counter and it was tiny! If you was to back up everyone in the room would have to also! I took pictures and called Westgate. They told me that the resort was over booked by 40 people and they were sending them elsewhere. I told them that I was NOT staying there and told them about the nasty room that they had given to me. They then said they would send us to a different motel but it would cost 169.99 more. I said no I booked the resort and thats where we want. We'll they then sent us to Comfort Inn. Didn't tell us where though. We drove until 8:00 that night just trying to find the comfort inn that they had moved us to. We finally found it all the way out past Seveirville on Route 66. The room smelled like cat pee and the air didn't work at all! When we finally went to have the tour at Westgate they said that they would log it into the computer and that was it! I will never travel through Westgate again! Other people that were there for the same tour that we were was also complaining about booking a 5star resort but being put into a 1/2 star roach motel!

• Liked — na
  • Disliked — na
2 Thank terascoll08

Wilkesboro, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

When I made the reservation I was called 14 times to confim that I would be there and sent a threatening email stating that if I didn't show up I would have penalties to endure. Well I showed up for sure and the peanalty was staying at this place.

We also made the mistake of buy tickets for their waterpark online. I paid $90.00 for 2 of us for 2 days. It was would have cost $18.45 per person if I had waited...and then I would have notice that they don't collect the money anyway with most people walking in free...never seen a stamp or bracelet and was never given one for our $90.00.

We were shown to our room by a gentlemen and he took 10 minutes to explain the place to us...it needed about 2 minutes of explanations. He noticed that we did not have towels or pillows for the sleeper sofa but never took care of the situation. The people next door were kind enough to do laundry until 4:00 am and you could hear their conversations....as well as a startling BUZZ every 20 or so minutes...then the person would come out of the room as the washer and dryers are SHARED and into a hallway that is SHARED and bang around and then restart the washer. We called down stairs to ask if they could do something and we were told that they could not. The room looked nice (Just like in the picture) but the matteress was old and it felt old...it was lumpy and bumpy. These resorts allow animals which is nice if your a dog or cat owner...not so nice for you if your not because you will be biten by fleas.

Our room was on the top of the mountain and it was not a problem for us to hike up and down the hill to the pool, but we do strenous hikes often and the traffic is not friendly. It is very dangerous for small children and the parking lot is not well lit so there is a chance you could be hit. They have bus service down and supposingly up too...but even after we called and waited 45 minutes to be taken to the Pool because we had a toddler with us they NEVER came. Couldn't mind a ride back either.

We had a King size bed in a separate bedroom the bathroom was tied together with the full kitchen and leather sofa bed. There were 2 TV's Flat screen and a fire place. There is shared laundry (Small apartment size washer and dryer) and a spa tub in the rooms. It was air conditioned and had ceiling fans. Parking was a nightmare if you could find any and traveling with the lugage is a issue up the hill. There is NO ELEVATORS so people that need ground level beware they were not honoring that upon check in...and not giving refunds if they could not provide the ground level rooms either. There are as many as 5 flights of stairs to climb to go to the rooms. Our room had 4 flights.

We paid $120.00 for 3 nights and 4 days and we had to do a 90 minute tour. There is an additional tax of $38.00 you have to pay when you get there. We thought we really had a deal, but after the tour we checked out immediately leaving one day early because the noise was so bad every night that we were not going to sleep anyway. You have to check out and check out took 1-1/2 hours.

Now for the water park....it is nice, but not $20.00 nice. One of the pools was closed and it never opened we stayed there on 6/20/2008 to 6/22/2008 and should have checked out on the 23rd but left early. They have a shortage of chairs to sit on but they have two levels. Not sure how you actually supervise your child from the second level but they have one. We did not eat at the grill upstairs but they had children food...chicken tenders, hamburgers, etc. They had 2 slides for children greater that 48 inches tall and what I would call a splash area...they did have a lazy river and the tubes were free. Remember don't buy on line and don't buy until they ask you because they probably will not ask you to pay. They provided towels at this pool.

• Liked — It looked pretty
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SGM1994

Cleveland, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

husband was home from Iraq on leave and we went to Gatlinburg on vacation. Was talked into touring this resort and then the sales would not leave us alone until we bought one so unfortunetely we bought a studio apartment. We was given a weekend free and when I went to get this I had to pay for the room and I am disabled and asked for the 1st floor and was put on the 3rd floor and was very hard for me to get up and down the stairs. Husband is back from from Iraq and we want to sell the timeshare and was told we have to sell it ourselves and they could not help us. These people are only out for themselves and no one else. If you are thinking about buying....please don't or think really hard before doing it.

• Liked — room was clean
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rcharris55

Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

Lovely looking log cabin units, but way too many for the limited space. The parking lots were horribly small and near to impossible to navigate through. Our inconsiderate neighbors sharing a washer/dryer used it at 1:30 a.m. one evening, and 2:30 a.m. the next evening. The hotel receptionists were unfriendly and seemed very uninterested in presenting a smile and acting like they enjoyed their jobs. There is no restaurant on the premises (there is a very small general store), so all the meals were eaten outside, which gets expensive. We'll definitely find another place when we visit the Smokey's again.

• Liked — Quite honest, nothing
  • Disliked — Just about everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ohiotommy

Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2008

We had gotten a call from Westgate to spend 4 days and 3 nights at there resort and take a 90 min tour of the resort. I wasn't sure that we could go so I told them that I would call them back within a week. I called them back to let them know that we could go.So they began to register us for our trip. Well they said that they no longer had vacancy at the resort but that they would put us in a newly renovated motel in pigeon forge.They said that we would have a king size bed with jacouzzi and fire place made it sound so wonderful.To make a long story short when we arrived at the motel we were already booked in room 124 on the bottem and right by the pool which I thought was great. UNTILL We went into the room and OH MY GOODNESS what a dump and the carpet was so sticky I refused to take my shoes off .We stayed that night in the room because we knew that we were taking the tour the next morning early so we were going to complain to west gate and ask why we did not have what they promised us. So after we got to west gate we signed in and told the man who was signing us in about being mis led he began to help us get someone to file a complaint. Well let me tell you that 90 min tour lasted 5 hours........5 hours. I was so worn out after them sending us four different people over to our table to try to sell us a time share I was getting so angry and hungry and hurting in my back I could have screamed.They refunded us the next 2 nights and we were on our own.They never tried to help us get another room.But after we got back to the motel we explained to the manager what we were supposed to have and she gave us that room and only charged us $40.00 extra to what we had already paid and the room was great. But let me tell you the people at west gate they don't care about you they are trying to make a sale and that is it. If you don't buy from them they don't like you at all and they try to make you look like an ideot . I will never go back there again. If you ever take the tour listen carefully to what they are telling you about this time share, You are not guarented a place to stay no matter if you own with them or not. If they are booked up they will put you in one of there motels and you are out of luck , no matter if you own a time share. You are never guarenteed a room................

Stayed May 2008
4 Thank AlabamaNon

NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2008

We got a one bedroom suite for $97 a night on their website. No sales pitch, but they do "show you to your room" and explain some of the local attactions, that took about 10 minutes. The room was great! Full kitchen, living room, large counter, a kitchen table and separate bedroom. We stayed on the top floor (5th) but I could see how their might be a problem with noise on lower floors as they have metal kitchen chairs scraping on stone floors. Great if you want to hike the smokies like we did, you can hop right onto the bypass and 'skip the strip' to get to the park. They do have a trolly stop right from the front of the hotel. Did not get a chance to check out the indoor waterpark but was $20/person extra.

• Stayed April 2008