“An Outstanding Week!”

Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Anniston, Alabama
“An Outstanding Week!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Because my husband had to work through Thanksgiving and Christmas, we decided to spend a week in the mountains in January. Being timeshare owners in Orlando, FL , we knew about the quality of the Westgate name. Our lodge unit was beautiful. It was well furnished. The flat screen TVs and fireplace were great. The location was so convienient. The amenities on site were very impressive. The indoor water park and playground were outstanding. The arcade, fitness area, and restaurants were great. We enjoyed the live entertainment nightly, too. We were impressed wtih the well kept grounds also. There had been freezing rain the day before we left, but the parking lot and roads had all been treated so we had no problem with our express check-out. We look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debra W
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of Westgate Smoky Mountain. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed so many of our amenities on property! We all aspire to ensure that all of our owners and guests received an exceptional experience. We are looking forward to exceeding your expectations once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Arabic first
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked a room through Expedia for Westgate Resorts. Somewhere along the way Expedia said I did not have reservations at the Westgate so I did not show up. Westgate charged my credit card $167 for a no-show. I called the company and they were extremely rude and curt about the credit and would not even allow me to move the reservation to a later date. Expedia called the company and they would not give Expedia a break as well as they said the reservation was made. I will never book with them again and will be cautious about this place.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Gaye D
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience. We are glad we were able to get in touch with you and get this issue resolved for you. We would once again like to apologize for the customer service experience that you had, and we would like for you to know that goes against our goal as a company. Hopefully now that we have this issue resolved, you will consider giving us a second chance. Once again thank you for taking the time in informing us about your customer service experience.
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The check in process was one of the worst I have ever experienced. There were 6 attendants working behind the counter and check-in process was taking about 20 min for each guest. There were 10 guests in front of me. Not sure how the math works out on this one, but I waited to check-in for 45 min with only 10 people in front of me and 6 clerks checking in. Also, the time share deal was a nightmare. After a long 9 hour drive and long wait for check in....the last thing I want to deal with is an agent trying to sell me something, asking for SS#'s, etc. It was way too much. When I said I would be glad to go on a tour, but my husband would have to watch the kids ( one who has a disability)- I was told we would both have to go (no matter what). I said we couldn't do that, but I could go alone....the issue kept getting pushed that we both had to go, so I said no thanks. When we got to our room that night the front light was broken, the fire place stopped working on the 2nd day and maintence had to come fix it, and despite the 4 calls made to fix the hot tub in the room- it never got fixed. No hot tub. Concerning breakfast- we tried to go, but there was great confusion with the staff on who was to eat buffet and who wanted to order, so people were waiting in line for a really long time. We eventually left. So, I believe there are many things that really need to be looked at and improved at this resort. I will not be staying at this particular Westgate again. I really hope this resort can make a good turn around because it does have a lot of potential. It was just not a great experience for me and my family. Also, there is conflicting information on line with military discounts being honored at this resort. Don't count on a military discount for anything here.

7 Thank Anne P
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your stay at the Westgate Smoky Mountain. We read the review you provided with great concern and we have taken the details of your feedback under careful consideration.
The opportunities you described are a clear indication that we were not able to provide you with the exceptional service that you deserve. We sincerely apologize that you did not receive the outstanding Westgate Smoky Mountain service that our property is well known for. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked this resort for a January weekend getaway. The main draw was the water park for my children. I waited about 30 minutes to get checked in. The staff was a little impersonal but answered all of my questions. I was told that someone would lead us to our cabin by golf cart and make sure our cards worked and our room was ready for us. The young man never left the parking lot with us and gave us a map to find our cabin. We were never told that we wouldn't be able to see our cabin - 220- from the road or the parking lot we had to drive into. We were never told there would be a walkway to our building. We were not told there were 5 sets of stairs on this walk way and that they might be icy (there was salt everywhere!) My husband recently had hip replacement due to injury and found this trek more than he could do more than once a day. We promptly called the front desk and asked if we could be moved. The person he talked to was reluctant at first, but granted our wish. A young lady arrived and helped up load our things back into our van and into the new cabin on one level. She was the nicest person we encountered at the resort the whole weekend! BTW, her name was Victoria. Overall, we had a nice time and our cabin was great. The water park kept my children busy ALL day!

Room Tip: Ask where your room is actually located on the property.
5 Thank Beth C
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and your recent stay at Westgate Smoky Mountains. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. Your sentiments will be shared with Victoria, she is a "nice" asset to our team. Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges mentioned. We all aspire to ensure that all of our guests received an exceptional experience. We hope to see you return real soon
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Staff went the extra mile to make the stay comfortable. The handicap room we stayed in was very clean and very acceisble to our handicap son. They even came and moved furniture to make it easier for him to get in the sofa bed. the water park was clean and warm. My son was able to transfer from his wheel chair to the setps to get in the lazy river and pool. If you need a lift, the pool does not have a handicap lift. the lifegaurds did offer to help, but if you are completely wheelchair bound they do not have the equipment needed to get you in and out of the pool. This is not a complaint, just an FYI. The maintance crew did an excellent job of keeping the roads and sidewalks and steps clear of ice form the Snow they received on Thursday.

I would not rocommend the resturant, the hamburgers we order were blah...no spices and over priced....9.95 for a hamburger with no taste is to much....3 hamburgers and an appitizer and 2 soft drinks was $50. Full kitchen in room was nice and clean, will use next time or go somewhere else to eat.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are available and were well thought out, note insulation does not exist between rooms...
1 Thank John G
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us and your feedback you presented will be shared with our Food and Beverage Management team. We appreciate your comments and will use them to help our team continually provide an excellent experience for our guests.We will keep your feedback in mind as we constantly assess our amenities and prices to ensure we're providing our guest with the best experience and the best value. we hope to host you as our guest in the near future.
PHILADELPHIA, PA
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently spent a week at this resort. I am a timeshare owner with Westgate and exchanged one of my weeks in Florida to go to the mountains. I was amazed by the place. All the buildings, built like mountain cabins, were beautiful. Trees, mountains, streams of water, etc. helped to make the 3 days of heavy rain just a little thing. The resort is minutes away from Gatlinburg and Pidgeon Forge (to the right and left, respectively). There are tons of things to see in both places, esp. Gatlinburg. Pidgeon Forge is the paradise for shoppers - I almost didn't stop there!!
The water park is spectacular; great staff, great facilities, clean, fun... we all enjoyed it. My 10-year-old nephew had a blast! The only complain we have about it is that they close really early in winter - 5pm. Fri, Sat and Sun it's open till 7pm, which worked better for us.
The accomodations were very good even though we were 3 adults and a kid in a studio. I received a studio for my one bedroom in Florida. They explained to me that the question of the demand being higher in TN than in FL, so (they said) some people exchange up to 2 bedrooms for a studio there. I don't know... Anyway, the only complaint I have is the kitchen area which is way too small and doesn't have enough room for the table. We were also short of chairs. Other than that, everything was clean and new. The bathroom was big and comfortable.
The staff was great. We requested a blender when we came back from Gatlinburg at 1am one night and received it. We also requested to have someone turn on a grill on a rainy night and got it done right away. They went the extra mile to help us each time and we are very greatful.
I would recommend this place to everybody!

3 Thank ANGELES435
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are ecstatic to hear we exceeded your expectations during your stay! We would be honored to host you as our guest again in the future!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were bored being at home over the holidays with (3) girls & decided that it might be fun to take them "snow tubing" for an afternoon. We had never been to Gatlinburg & decided on a whim "why not". Found the WestGate Smoky Mtn resort on trip advisor & thought we would give it a try. I am pretty picky when it comes to hotels so I was a little iffy on trying it out based on some of the reviews & I was even more scared of Gatlinburg. Anyway, first off its a TIME SHARE resort. That is fine with me as long as you know it going in & we did not. You walk through the front door & there are lots of "sales" people sitting around to the right near the beautiful huge fireplace. They did not bother us but it was a bit strange. We had to go through (2) check points to get to the desk. They did not have our reservations on file (we had booked through expeida on the way there) & they did not have my friends. We waited over 45 minutes to get our room. At first, the person that helped us was not very friendly & looked frustrated that we were even there but the person beside her was SO helpful telling us about the hotel. There are a lot of things for kids to do there including the heated pool. They also upgraded our room which was nice for the delay of checking us in. There is also a "gift/grocery" store right off the main lobby. Not the best items (the wine was lacking for sure but there is a liquor store right at the bottom of the road.

A "bellhop" drives a golf cart to your room while you follow behind in a car. They then take
you to the room to make sure everything is in working order. While we did tip him, I found it very odd that he did not offer to carry any of our bags, etc Again, I found the entire procedure strange.

The room was fine. Not the best room I have ever stayed in, but not the worst. It was well equiped with fridge, microwave, stove, deck, fireplace (on a timer) and a picture of Dolly Parton (that cracked us all up!) It was clean. Does it need an update, yes, but for the $$ it is exactly what you expect to get.

There is a "tram" that takes you into town every 30 minutes & it costs .50 per person. Perfect price & the kids loved it. They swam in the heated pool & thought is was the best. We did venture out to dinner & it really is like a panama city or myrtle beach of the mtns. Beware of parking...there is NONE & if you have to park prepare to pay $15-$20. We did make it to the Ober Gaitlinburg to go tubing. You have to get up super early to get tickets (even if your time is not until later in the day). The husbands got there at 7:15 am to get tickets for the 1:00 tube time. The kids loved it & 1 1/2 hours is all you need.

Anyway, back to the hotel. There are several other "resorts" that might have fit us better if we were there for more than one night, but over all it was fine...just fine.

4 Thank carolinaflyway
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities! Please come back and see us again soon!