3,093 results
All reviewswater parkindoor waterparkmason jarshuttle servicetimeshare ownersbedroom deluxepigeon forgefull kitchensmoky mountainwasher dryerlazy riverspring breakfamily vacationtrolley stopconciergecabinaccommodations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were bored being at home over the holidays with (3) girls & decided that it might be fun to take them "snow tubing" for an afternoon. We had never been to Gatlinburg & decided on a whim "why not". Found the WestGate Smoky Mtn resort on trip advisor & thought we would give it a try. I am pretty picky when it comes to hotels so I was a little iffy on trying it out based on some of the reviews & I was even more scared of Gatlinburg. Anyway, first off its a TIME SHARE resort. That is fine with me as long as you know it going in & we did not. You walk through the front door & there are lots of "sales" people sitting around to the right near the beautiful huge fireplace. They did not bother us but it was a bit strange. We had to go through (2) check points to get to the desk. They did not have our reservations on file (we had booked through expeida on the way there) & they did not have my friends. We waited over 45 minutes to get our room. At first, the person that helped us was not very friendly & looked frustrated that we were even there but the person beside her was SO helpful telling us about the hotel. There are a lot of things for kids to do there including the heated pool. They also upgraded our room which was nice for the delay of checking us in. There is also a "gift/grocery" store right off the main lobby. Not the best items (the wine was lacking for sure but there is a liquor store right at the bottom of the road.

A "bellhop" drives a golf cart to your room while you follow behind in a car. They then take
you to the room to make sure everything is in working order. While we did tip him, I found it very odd that he did not offer to carry any of our bags, etc Again, I found the entire procedure strange.

The room was fine. Not the best room I have ever stayed in, but not the worst. It was well equiped with fridge, microwave, stove, deck, fireplace (on a timer) and a picture of Dolly Parton (that cracked us all up!) It was clean. Does it need an update, yes, but for the $$ it is exactly what you expect to get.

There is a "tram" that takes you into town every 30 minutes & it costs .50 per person. Perfect price & the kids loved it. They swam in the heated pool & thought is was the best. We did venture out to dinner & it really is like a panama city or myrtle beach of the mtns. Beware of parking...there is NONE & if you have to park prepare to pay $15-$20. We did make it to the Ober Gaitlinburg to go tubing. You have to get up super early to get tickets (even if your time is not until later in the day). The husbands got there at 7:15 am to get tickets for the 1:00 tube time. The kids loved it & 1 1/2 hours is all you need.

Anyway, back to the hotel. There are several other "resorts" that might have fit us better if we were there for more than one night, but over all it was fine...just fine.

4  Thank carolinaflyway
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My extended family stayed her for an extended weekend. The property that the resort sits on is beautiful but the cabin design is terrible. There is absolutely no privacy between the cabins. My immediate family of 4 stayed in a 1-bedroom cabin. There is a shared entry way with another cabin. You can hear EVERY sound as if they are standing in your bedroom. Conversations, doors closing and the washer and dryer that ran 1 night until 3am! The customer service at the front desk needs improvement. We waited for over an hour to check in while the manager on duty paced back and forth behind the counter past 2 unused terminals. When we finally started the check in process, there was no apology for the wait, just excuses about how many people checked in that day. It was a friday before a long holiday weekend. They should have been prepared. After the long wait, we were told we could wait again for someone to show us to our cabin or find it ourselves. After a long drive and waiting so long, we chose to go ourselves. Before we could leave the lobby, we were stopped because we were given the same cabin as the guests in front of us in line. After waiting, AGAIN, we got to he car only to discover they didn't give us a parking pass which is required to enter the property. After returning to the lobby, I was offered no apology, just handed a pass as if I was a bother. They repeatedly tell you that they are a 5 star resort but the customer service is not 5-star. DO NOT participate in the timeshare tour unless you have already decided you want to purchase. They refused to take no for an answer. After 3 hours and the fourth person coming to our table, under much pressure, I purchased a vacation package to return just so I could leave. I even told Amanda I felt as if I had to purchase something in order for them to let me leave. She made no comment, except to ask for my credit card to complete the sale. The indoor water park was fun for my daughter but the bathroom and changing area was filthy, not like the 5 star resort they claim. Towels and even a dirty diaper were on the floor and no cleaning staff to be found. The smoky mountains are beautiful but unless you don't mind loud accommodations and non-existant customer service, I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't choose a 1-bedroom. There are guests on both sides and no privacy.
2  Thank Smiley39
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the issues you experienced. We have taken note of each one and will pass them onto the appropriate members of or staff. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Please accept our apologies if you felt the check in process were too long, especially after a long journey. We take pride in our exceptional service and will work with them to improve going forward. Again, please accept our apologies and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Wow!!!! Is all I can say!!! An amazing view from the snow white mountain side and sunny clear skies............. We arrived late Saturday evening and the air was brisk! Got settled in our 1bdrm cabin, turned on the fireplace and heat and unfortunately about 20 minutes later the fireplace exploded, so we had to be moved to another cabin. The occupancy was at 90% so unfortunately we got a downstairs cabin but made the most of it. The cabin was very accommodating to our needs and our stay had begun. Woke up early Sunday morning for breakfast and got our tickets to the 10,000 gallon indoor Water Park for the kids and made the most of our day. After the kids finished enjoying the water park, we got ready for dinner to go to the Smoke House Grill Restaurant onsite. The food was delicious and hefty in portions tooo..... By the time we finished din din, the kids were ready for the gameroom which featured a variety of fun games to entertain!!!!! Check out was simple, we basically did the express and overall our trip to Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort was Great!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors are alway's good but if you can also get one in higher elevation is even better!
1  Thank mswoodey
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Wow, what a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a terrific stay. It sounds as if there was a challenge with a faulty fireplace, but it is great to hear we were able to get that resolved quickly for you. We will definitely pass along the wonderful comments about the water park and the restaurant. Please come back and visit anytime and once again thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a beautiful resort, that truly is as accommodating as it is breath taking. It always sounds cliche to hear that a resort is appropriate for couples or families alike, but that statement holds true at Westgate. The rooms provide panoramic views of the smoky mountains, and the resorts amenities will never leave you lacking. Check-in services greeted us with a smile and helpful information for our stay, after which we were personally escorted to our impressive suite, complete with a fireplace, full kitchen, and in room jacuzzi tub. Meals at the resort's restaurant were both affordable and delicious, and the entire staff from head chef on down, were all so polite. It was everything from taking a dip in the heated pool, to sipping on coffee while siting on our own personal balcony that made this trip worthwhile. If you've been contemplating a trip to Gatlinburg, TN, or you just need a few days to refresh yourself, then Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort and Spa is a wonderful decision.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brian L
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide such kind words about our property and staff. We will definitely pass your sentiments on to our restaurant and check in staffs, as well as our engineering department who work so hard on maintaining our property. Our goal is to provide the best customer service possible, and it is always wonderful to know when we succeed. Come back and visit us anytime.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for the 1st time this weekend and I was very impressed! After check-in, you are escorted to your room, shown where everything is and your bags are brought in for you. Our studio was great with a fireplace and fully stocked kitchen. Everything was spotless and the bed was super comfy. We enjoyed the waterpark, which was kept very clean given the fact that it was PACKED!!! The indoor/outdoor hot tub was my favorite feature, and my girls loved the waterslides and lazy river. At night, we ventured out in the cold to the heated pool and hot tub, and it was so nice to sit there under the stars with the steamm billowing all aroun! The heated pool , in my opinion, needs to be a few degrees warmer. I had a massage in the spa , which was amazing! The only meal we had on site was breakfast. We did the breakfast buffet, and it was pretty much what you get in a lot of hotels for free, except it was $30. The service in the restaurant was not good. We had to wait to be seated, even though there were many empty tables, because they didn't have enough wait staff. I had to ask 3 times for a glass of water. There are some hidden fees...a "resort fee" which is added on, my $55 massage was $67 with tax and gratuity added. Overall we loved our short stay there and would visit again for sure. The reasons I did not give it 5 stars was the poor service in the restaurant and the hidden fees.

1  Thank Peggy S
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

We are glad to hear that your weekend trip was a great one. We will definitely pass along your compliments to our spa and water park, and we will make our restaurant manager aware of your concerns with the service. Hopefully next time you come visit, we can turn your four star stay into a star memory.