“Sucks and still waiting to be resolved- with no hope”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Smithfield, Virginia
“Sucks and still waiting to be resolved- with no hope”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

So far- I'm happy to have my health! I was assured a one bedroom deluxe room with 750 sq feet. I checked in - and I kid you not, its not more than 500, which is the one bedroom regular. I called the front desk- manager assured me I was in the right room. I bathed the baby (8 months) - went back down to the front desk because the pack n play did not fit in the one bedroom. The manager again assured me that I had more square feet than I had reserved. Well, with two dogs and an 8 month old, square footage is important. I called the manager again and she informed me that all concerns had to go through reservations- which conveniently was not open on New Year's Day. So unfortunately we dealt with it. On Jan 2 I called reservations- almost blew my top- reservations told me I had to deal with the manager at the location- go figure- I sat on hold with them for 15 minutes before they instructed me to walk down (temp is about 34 degrees) because "the front desk is always open!" Needless to say the front desk manager informed me that rooms here do not go by square footage- simply amenities. Which would be nice- take for instance a fire place as an amenity for a deluxe room... Too bad it's so hot on the third floor (while 34 outside) that we are running the AC... Which, we also have two dogs and a baby- that was fun trying to lug all of that up 3 flights of wet stairs! So with all of that being said, the room is extremely loud and the employees/staff run around in loud gas powered golf carts all day/night- and I did walk from the entrance to my cabin carrying pizza, uphill without one offer for a ride- granted quarter of a mile- but it was raining!!! Also don't be fooled- the washer/dryer is shared between you and whomever is staying in the unit next to you. The family and I were considering purchasing here when we first booked; however, after this experience, thank goodness they lost 3 perspective in our family- I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm with the resort the square footage you reserved. Don't stay on the third f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank Steven C
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to relay to us the challenges you experienced with your stay. We would like to apologize for those experiences and would love to assist you with getting a resolution to your personal situation. Please contact us at WGSMguestrelations@wgresorts.com so that we can work on getting a solution for you. It is our goal to provide the best customer service to all of our guests, and although we may have initially failed, we would cherish the opportunity to make it right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Arabic first
tennessee
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Myself and my family stayed on site from 12/23/2012 to 12/30/2012. It was a great expierience and the water park was great. The rooms were great and I own a two bedroom unit which is great. The only problem I have are the renters that don't respect the units and their neighbors. they don't respect the occasional thin walls of units and don't respect themselves enough to keep track of their kids.These problems are few when you request a room on the top floor. The pools are great,waterslide was great.the resturant was great. The security staff are totally inaducaute for their jobs ,but do what they can with the help they have on staff. The rooms were clean and if you can find a person that wants to rent their unit, you can stay for a inexpensive price.The staff was very heplful and were very curtious. Thanks Westgate..

Room Tip: rooms on top floor are great
1 Thank TennesseeHillbilly
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and our sincere apologies for the inconsiderate neighbors. We do discuss the quiet period with families, but unfortunately, not everyone adheres to that policy. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay despite the challenges mentioned. We all aspire to ensure that all of our owners and guests received an exceptional experience. We hope to see you real soon.
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

(If I could give no green dots, I would do so.)

My wife and I have two small boys (ages 4 and 9). We planned to stay at Westgate Smokey Mountains from December 29-January 1. We spoke to Andre via phone with Westgate on December 20th. He took our information (yes even our credit card number). He was told we wanted to stay at Westgate Smokey Mountains. Andre said we will get an email and gave us a confirmation number. We also informed him that we did not want to attend any timeshare meetings. He said that was fine and we could still get a room at Westgate Smokey Mountains. We never got the email. The next day (December 21) we called and spoke to Amber at Westgate. She said everything was fine and took our email address again. No email ever came. On December 28th, my wife called Westgate and advised them we never got an email. Amber stated they had the wrong email address (an extra "r" in our email address). She would send us an email within three hours, but insured us our stay was good. No email ever came. We show up at the resort. Our boys saw the water park and were thrilled. My wife goes to check in and they can't find our information. Josh (white male that said he was the welcome manager) said the only information he could find showed us staying at James Manor (several miles away in Piegon Forge). He was told this was not what we wanted. My wife advised me and I spoke to Josh. He was not helpful and a complete JERK. He would not answer my questions and said the phone calls come into a central office for Westgate in Orlando. He was asked if they were Westgate employees. He said yes. He was asked if he was a Westgate employee. Josh said yes. I asked for Josh's boss. He said he was highest ranking person there. Later, I found out this was not true. Beth (manager) said this was not true. So, we left with no room at Westgate. We drove to James Manor in the snow. The room was horrible. Old musty motel with no parking. I was willing to pay for a more costly room at Westgate just because I did not care to take the time share meeting. I knew that going into it. But, I was never told I would be put at another motel. We reviewed our credit card bill. Westgate charged our credit card on December 20. They did not forget this, but had problems sending us all of the information.

We left James Monor at stayed at the Wilderness at the Smokies Resort. This place was so much better. The staff was great. The room cost covered their water park and it was huge place.

I will never, never, never, stay at anything connected with Westgate. I strongly recommend Wilderness.

11 Thank Keith S
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 15, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we now have to offer.

Best regards,
Ariel
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed December 30, 2012

As an owner at this resort since 2003, I must concur with many of the positive and negative reviews on this website. From the outside the resort is absolutely breath taking and what you would expect from a supposed five star resort. However, looks can be cosmetic and thus deceiving. Since becoming an owner, I have witnessed innumerable improvements to the resort's property; as well as, significant improvements to guest services. While the resort “takes pride in creating the ultimate vacation setting and offers a variety of amenities and activities for all of our guests to enjoy”; the resort’s staff on more than one occasion has woefully fallen short in providing exceptional customer service. On our recent visit to the resort, we are experiencing problems with adequate parking. On our first night, we had to wait 30 minutes to be transported to our cabin because there was no place to park. Subsequently, we have to be back in our cabin by 8:30 pm if not earlier to find a place to park. As for service in general, I find the resort's staff to be friendly and courteous, but not always attuned to the specific needs of owners. Their solution to complex problems is an upgrade( i.e purchase more expensive and overly priced timeshare property) at the owner’s expense. The resort's staff is great at giving lip service but many often fail to follow through with the request. Our current cabin is beginning to show its age. The laminate is peeling from kitchen cabinets; the shower door requires adjusting so water pours onto the floor when taking a shower and the cushions on the leather sofa need replacing. My back has given me a fit due to the lack of support. As one who has traveled throughout the US, Canada and Europe, this resort is OK but no match for a true five star resort. I would give it a 1 perhaps a 2 star rating. But as an owner this resort has disappointed me on more than one occasion. Before booking here take your time and review as many reviews as you can to get at true perspective.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have less noise.
5 Thank Hot4jak
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at our property. I am disappointed that our property design and decor did not meet your expectations. We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our resort, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that our owners and guests experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure you find that level of service at our resort. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we look forward to your return with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.
Manchester, Tennessee
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort and Spa is a good looking hotel from the outside looking in, but has many problems inside. A do not disturb sign is an invitation from the staff to knock repeatedly and enter in any way. The wall and floor separation between guests is minimal; so every word and sound will be heard. Finally the appearance of a competent staff is superficially; lots of carts and People, but no desire to actually resolve issues. We had loud booming music into the wee hours of the night, we has screamers at 3:30am, and we had cleaning staff that looked like bank robbers.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
4 Thank B200Manchester
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. All of our staff is there to provide you with a customer service experience unlike any other. The experience that you have shared in your review falls far below the standards that we have set for our staff to follow. We sincerely thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your comment will be shared with the appropriate resort management. We hope that the experience that you had with these particular team members will not keep you from staying with us again.
Usa, Japan
Reviewed December 29, 2012

From the moment we parked , it was very crowded and busy, check in wait took 30 mins and the process took another 20 mins. They provided u with high pressure sales pitch during check in and charge extra for resort fee. The room is smaller than a hotel room with windows in the walkway. Parking is small and few. Check out is at 10am , won't honor my request for a late check out, waste off money.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank allstart1234
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us. We were saddened to hear that your arrival experience was not up to standard. We recognized that we had issues with the check in times for our guests on busier check in days. Because of this, we have recently implemented several new check-in procedures to aid in reducing the check in time. We have been successful with the changes, and will continue to make more changes until we reach a satisfactory check in time for our guests. We thank you for your business and sincerely hope you stay with us in the future.
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We bought 7 years ago. The year after we bought we upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom deluxe sleeps 6. Well now we find out that the paperwork still has us in a sleep 4. $5000. they took from us to upgrade with nothing added. They said that they wanted to sell us a 2 bedroom now for additional money. Deal sounded good to doing a option to buy the 2 bedroom week, however they have you pay money for 24 months to hold the option for you and it does not have a 3 day right to cancel.. Do not sign anything at Westgate. They are out for the money and the next year the person who helped you this year will be gone and there is nothing you can do about getting the shaft. Read everything and beware they are out for the almighty dollar. Place itself is O.K. sales atmosphere is the pits.

3 Thank K H
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We apologize for the challenges you experienced with our sales department, and we would like to see if we can help get this resolved for you. Please contact us at WGSMguestrelations@wgresorts.com. Once again thank you for letting us know about your stay.