“NO CA$H or tickets are worth the "90 minutes"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Saint Louis, Missouri
“NO CA$H or tickets are worth the "90 minutes"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

It really is true that when something seems too good to be true it probably is. We went on a family trip to Pigeon Forge as we do often. It was my husband and I and our son.
I had never been approached on previous visits about going to a "90 min presentation." I wasn't sure what the time share was really about and I am never rude or impolite to people. I know we all have jobs to do and many of us don't really like what we do. I always try to remember that when dealing with people. I sat and heard them out and agreed that I would attend. They told me I would be served a 5 star meal and we would walk away with $100 even if we didn't buy anything.
I was very naive and should have read the reviews before we went. Rarely do I stay anywhere or go to places without checking the reviews on trip advisor. I don't want to waste my time or money on something that is horrible. But I didn't check and went into this blind.
We went and it was all pretty and picture perfect. They were all so friendly and polite and showed us all around. We hadn't ate all day waiting for our 5 star meal. When we arrived to the place where we were going to be shown a presentation, and eat we were disappointed. The meal was on a buffet table with lunch meat bread and chips. We still remained optimistic.
On several occasions they tried to separate our son from us and take him off by himself. They assured us he would be safe. I refused. I didn't know these people and I would NOT trust my son with them. He was 10, and a very good boy. He doesn't cause problems or throw a fit. So his presents there was not disturbing anyone. They knew what was coming down the pipes however and they wanted him to leave.
The presentation started and they began throwing out prices. Telling us how they don't check credit scores if that is why we are saying no....I said no that is not it we are saying no because we live debt free and we do not want any debt. They went on about how this isn't really debt...I again told them No. That is when they stopped talking to me. They began to only look or speak to my husband. They wouldn't make eye contact with me or answer anything that I was asking or said. We continued to say no no NOOOOOO. He kept getting up and finding his manager and then all of a sudden they found cheaper and cheaper units. We continued to hold fast and say NOOOOOOO. The entire time they would stand up and make these announcements about these people just bought their first time share and everyone clapped and cheering. All I kept thinking was how bad I felt for them. How in a few months I would read their reviews on how horrible their experiences continues to be. At least ours would be over soon and we would learn our lesson.
The final time we said No absolutely not no matter what you do or say we will NEVER say yes to you. The manager jumps up and slams his chair against our table and yells at us. He said that we were just going to continue to throw our money away on hotels the rest of our lives instead of owning a piece of the smokies! Everyone was starring at us. He was really yelling at us. At that point I just didn't care I wanted to go!
We were finally able to be free. He lead us down this long steep stairway and wouldn't speak to us. People where coming up as we were going down and they were smiling, and he was so polite to them. I bet they would soon be disappointed over their 5 star meal! LOL
He practically pushed us to the receptionist who handed us 100 bill and out the door we went. All in all it took 5 hours for a 90 minute presentation.
When we left we were all in a terrible mood. We all felt as if we were in a major battle of good vs evil. We felt like we were so glad to come out alive! :) We will NEVER EVER do that again.
I was disgusted that my lovely town of Pigeon Forge was not crawling with timeshare sales people. I have no idea why they would allow them into such a wonderful place. From that day on when we were going in or coming out of a place and they said..."so yáll from around here?" we would yell YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and take off running!
This is by far the worst most high pressured sales pitch I have ever been in. Please take my advice and do not ever get duped into one of these.
I have read reviews that rated this place 5 stars and said things like people who rate poorly are only trying to get something free. I can assure you that is not the case. We knew nothing about timeshares or what they offer. We had no problem touring and the whole explaining and trying to sell something to us. It was the intense high pressure sales. When we say no they held us hostage. We told them several times we wanted to leave and they would keep bringing in the manager. That was what we object to. Sell but don't try and force something down our throats! Plus when the manager didn't win he had to slam his chair into our table and scream at us. It was terrible!
STAY AWAY!!! When they approach you run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Thank Tennesseelover37
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My sincere apologies to you and your family for having to deal with an overbearing and obnoxious sales person. I assure you that this type of behavior is totally unacceptable to our sales department, and to the Director of Sales. I know he will not accept this type of behavior. Moreover, we are a very successful property with many very happy and satisfied owners. Honestly, none of our sales folks have to, or should, resort to these types of tactics in order to present our product to the general public. I would very much appreciate knowing the names of the sales folks you were dealing with. You can email me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com , or you can call me on my direct line at 865-430-4842. Again, my apologies to you and your family.

Resort General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Arabic first
North Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We made our reservation in January to spend a week in our "upgraded" unit which we had purchased two years prior. We received a confirmation, on January 11, and then we even called a couple of days later to verify the confirmation. When we arrived, all of those units had already been assigned. There were other people checking in whose reservations were not honored. We ended up being put in a "lock-out" unit. A lock-out unit is like an efficiency apartment - the kitchen floor space had standing room only. It was right on the street with LOUD vehicle noise from 5:00 am to midnight. We had to keep the shades closed because you could see right in from the street. We ended up with a small, noisy, dark hole instead of the deluxe one bedroom unit for which we had paid tens of thousands of dollars. After talking to several people at Westgate Corporate, we found out, that if the unit you purchased is not available, you can be put anywhere - and apparently - it doesn't make any difference if you make a reservation or not. When corporate called management and questioned as to why our reservation was not honored, they said because we had rejected it!?!?!?! I guess that was to cover their incompetency. Check-in told us they couldn't find it!!!! They spent at least 45 minutes trying to find a place to put us!! We have been told nothing but lies in regards to purchasing a timeshare here. All they want you to do is spend more money to upgrade. So now I am told by corporate that I need to upgrade to a "fixed" week instead of a "floating" week - more money! Pass it up and get a hotel room - at least hotels honor their reservation confirmations - and you won't be harassed for more money! And we spent a year planning this vacation!!

Room Tip: Go to a hotel. We have gotten rooms at Westgate where the carpet was ripped, bedskirts ripped, fire...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Linda C
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My apologies to you and your family for what appears to be a reservation mix-up. It is true that when an owner rents here at the property outside of their normal deeded week, it is possible to be assigned to a unit type that you did not necessarily purchase. We try very hard to accommodate those requests, however, all owner deeded week accommodations are assigned first. Please contact me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com, or call me on my direct line at 865-318-2995 after you have made your next reservation to come and stay here. If you were to contact me a month or so out, I can review your reservation and make sure everything is in order and that you are assigned to the unit type that you own. It would also allow me to pass along some professional courtesies to you and your family. Again, please accept my apologies for a less than enjoyable stay with us.

Louisville KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT! Unless you like dirt and overall smell. First, we arrived after midnight w two children after driving over 5 hours, and was directed to the wrong room where a security guard let us in where people were staying. After an hour, and endless trips to the desk for help we were guided to our room that stunk! We should have left after that! The next day while we are the pool, and my husband was taking a shower, someone came in our room unexpected and dropped off a crip and playpen - our children are 7 and 10! I guess security or whomever can walk in anytime they like unannounced. The beds were horrible. The rooms need to be updated! I will never forget the smell. I had to wash everything-even clothes we did not pack. I asked the desk if they had anything else, and the response was that they didnt have anything available. Please take my advice and do not stay here. Go down the road to Super 8. It has to be better!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
7 Thank crysd2007
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the issues you had with your room, especially the smell. I would very much like to know the room number of the unit you stayed in so that I can research this situation. You can contact me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com, or on my direct line at 865-430-4842. In addition, I would like to discuss what I can do to make things right by you and your family. Again, my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I love WG but....if you need to prepare before you buy...don't let sales push you into something....but we have been owners since 2000. We always have a great time. Great staff, food, fun....esp at the Bear Falls water park... hear they are putting in a zip line soon!

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want....
1 Thank pamgrams
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your great Westgate Smoky Mountains experience with us. We are happy that you enjoyed so much of the amenities. Mostly we love having you! Your Westgate Family looks forward to your next visit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

First, let me say we are picky. And the reviews here left us iffy but once we got to this resort we loved it. And would definitely stay again. We thought the hotels rooms in Gatlinburg below par compared to this resort (the hotels in Gatlinburg look dated). We have stayed several places in Pigeon Forge (one being a #1 condo) and Westgate surpassed it mainly because the amenities for us and children.
We got the resort early and were welcomed and able to check in early. They followed us to our room and offered to help us take our luggage up. Then they went over all the functions of the room, resort, trolley info. They let us know if we had any problems to just call.
Our room was in the front and true we could hear the traffic when we were on the balcony but nothing major. We loved this balcony and had a wonderful view of the trees (and they were turning). Once we went inside the condo it was quiet.
Our room was wonderful with everything we needed. It was clean.
True the fireplace does smell when you start it but that is a normal smell with a gas fireplace.
We could leave our car and go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge via the trolley. Loved, loved this.
And the resort has vans, a red train and golf carts to take you places if you do not want to walk within the resort. Though we choose to walk most places in the resort.
The resort has many activities (water park and a top notch arcade) for children. Though we did not have a child with us it did make us want to bring our grandchild next trip.
We enjoyed the lounge (we went for Happy Hour and the prices were great) and ate once at the restaurant.
Mon-Sat they have on site activities which we were there Sat and Sunday so we did not get to do any. But, they look very enjoyable.
Location is great.
You cannot go wrong here!

1 Thank ga55
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are ecstatic that you and your family had such an incredible time with us and you enjoyed our amenities during your stay! We would be honored to host you as our guest again in the future!
charlottesville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just left on October 6th. We had a wonderful time. The location on the side of the mountain is great, the buildings and grounds are beautiful. The water park is great lots of fun. Plenty to do on site especially with little kids. Only complaint was the water park was not open late enough closing at 6pm, we where told that there had been a life guard walk which resulted in the early closing. Location made it very easy to get to either Gatlinburg or Piegon Forge. Trolley service was helpful as well.

1 Thank yesiamone
We appreciate the opportunity to have hosted your visit. We are glad you enjoyed the beauty of our hotel and amenities. We apologize for any discomfort you felt with the early closure of the Water park. We hope we will be fortunate enough to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We are currently checked in at Westgate and it has been a complete nightmare!!! Back in July we booked and paid the first night on a 2 Bedroom/ 2 Bath villa. Today we arrived at 2pm and they tried to give us two seperate rooms. I explained we have a 6 year old and that wouldn't work. Checking in takes long enough but the front desk agent went into a back room and came back 10 min later and said they found us one. I paid a $50 (refundable) deposit plus the second nights room rate which paid us in full, and got a receipt and paper with our room number - 250.01. Of course it wasn't ready yet and check-in is 4pm - which is the latest I've ever heard of - but she said we should go out and could come back anytime. We had dinner, saw some local attractions and returned at 9pm exhausted. When we got to the bell desk they took our paperwork and KEPT it - including my credit card receipt - shuffled around some more papers and gave us back one with a scribble mark and room 252.02. We take several winding paths to an end lot and a building on stilts with two levels of about 40 plus narrow, outside steps up to our room. We took one look and knew there was no way we were going to navigate those wet rain-soaked steps in almost pitch black. We have a child and bags and luggage to carry! It's now that I notice this was NOT our assigned room when we checked in. So back down we go to the front desk where I have the displeasure of dealing with the night manager on duty. She gives us the blank couldn't-care-less stare and the canned "I understand" while she clearly doesn't, and tells me the resort is overbooked and that's all that's left. What happened to our original room? She doesn't know, she doesn't bother to check into it, and she wasn't working then! She informs us when we checked in at 2pm and paid in full - that was 'just a 'pre-check in'. And that one nights rate I paid back in July that was 'just the deposit to hold it.' Like my money and time of no importance!! She said the only options are to get a refund back only of what we paid today, NOT our initial deposit, (we have to call general Westgate reservations but sorry they're closed now!), or take a 1 bedroom / 1 bath villa but she can't give us any money back to take a downgrade because she's not authorized to do that!?!?! Nor would she call anyone else who could. At this point it was after 10pm, our daughter is quietly crying and my husband is saying 'PLEASE just give us our money back' and she calls security on us??? Way to terrorize a child! We called Marriott who we NEVER have issues with but they were full so we begrudgingly took the 1 bedroom. When we got to the room there were no lights on outside and we have two double beds and were told it was two queens. Plus we have no refund for the downgrade!!. It's already midnight and tomorrow morning we have to waste even more vacation time talking to another manager. MR. FISHLOCK - If you're reading this, we will be sending you an email and hope you get in touch with us and make this situation right. I am a travel agent and am actually glad it happened to us and not one of my clients! I'd like to hear your thoughts on the horrible, uncaring, unhelpful attitude we received and hope is not common practice of Westgate resorts and their staff!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Kerri M
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay with us. It’s always disappointing to me when a guest has a reservation issue that seems to have a negative effect on the entire stay. My research shows that you arrived at the property with a reservation for a two bedroom lock-off unit. I understand that this type of accommodation would not be suitable for your child to stay in. A true two bedroom would have been more appropriate. Our Front Office manager did make a mistake by assigning you to a two bedroom unit which was already assigned to someone else. That is why you did not get the room number that was written down, however, you were assigned to a unit with a similar floor plan. That unit did not work because your family needed a unit that had little or no steps. Our Front Office Manager would have refunded you your deposit if she had the ability to do so. Since that deposit was collected in Orlando at our corporate headquarters when you first made the booking, we did not have the ability to access the necessary information in order to refund you that deposit. We did make the necessary adjustments to your account the following day. Please accept my apologies to you and your family.

Best Regards