“Completely FILTHY” 1 of 5 bubbles

Alva, Florida
“Completely FILTHY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

July 31-Aug 3

I know this is going to sound like a made-up story, its true. Pictures to verify...

When I called to make my reservation, my call was to an India call center. The "reservation specialist" only spoke broken English and I had to correct her several times. Oh well or was it a little foreshadowing of the disappointment to come.

Upon check-in, I was told that a 50 dollar hold will be put on my credit card on top of a 10 dollar a day resort fee. I have stayed in resorts all over this nation and I have never had a hold put on my card. The resort fees are for amenities that other resorts give for free like high speed wifi, local calls, fitness center and printing boarding passes. The "high speed wifi" is TERRIBLY SLOW never moved over 30kbs and a very weak signal. The free local calls aren't free, they charge you $.75 per. The "resort fee" is just another way to nickle and dime you out of your vacation money without offering anything that will be used.

When we got to the room all seemed fine, nice room on ground floor with kitchen-ette. While I unpacked, my five year old son took his shoes off and walked around the room . Within ten minutes of him walking around on the carpet and tile, his white socks had turned black on the bottom. Upon closer inspection of the floor, there is broken glass in the carpet. I have found long hairs (yuck) in the bathroom, a used q-tip (yuckier), used dental floss (yuckiest) and even a bread-tie right out in the open. I had to call housekeeping @ 9PM to come and vacuum the floor for my child's safety and was told "we don't have a vacuum but we do have a shop-vac." Housekeeping finally showed up at 10 pm with the shop vac. I have been up since 5am, drove from SW Florida and the last thing I want to do is wait for my room to be vacuumed. It was less than effective as I now have a collection of broken glass slivers to give to the manager when I check-out. How can a resort of this size and reputation not have a proper vacuum? It baffles my mind to think about that question. It is no wonder this place is just plain FILTHY.

I have GNATS (fruit flys) living in the drains. They are on the walls and buzzing all over any food we are preparing/eating. I took time out for a GNAT hunt, so I was sure they were all gone. When I woke up in the morning, MORE GNATS.

By the start of the second day, we both had stuffy noses and I had to use my inhaler (asthma). I hardly ever have to use my inhaler unless something aggravates my asthma. I took a look at the A/C system. The filters where clean but the outside of the unit has dust all over the outside from NEVER being cleaned. The cooled air outlet has dust and mold all over the inside of the unit. I took the cover off and was absolutely DISGUSTED, the coil has never been serviced. Completely clogged up and moldy.

I took my son to the pool and the water is less than clear. There is a big disgusting puddle of water in between the pool and hot tub due to clogged drains. This puddle of water literally drains into the hot tub. I can just imagine the germs and bacteria the hot tub is producing and passing on to the unsuspecting resort guests. We left the pool almost immediately.

Don't bother with the trolley unless you have 2 1/2 to 3 hours extra to wait for the trolley and to make all the stops. We waited over an hour for the trolley and its suppose to be on a 20-25 min loop. It wasn't even crowded, every place in town had vacancies.

We chose Westgate Resort for our Smoky Mountain getaway because of the positive reviews on trip advisor. I guess its time for new management or something major because our stay was not relaxing or enjoyable. I have stayed in cheap motels that have been cleaner than this "high class" resort. We will NEVER stay at any Westgate resort ever again.

Room Tip: Bring your bug killer, cleaning gear and vacuum...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank R32AutoXer
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Wow! I’m shocked at the condition of this unit. Obviously, this unit should have never been authorized for occupancy. I suspect this unit was out of order and was mistakenly put back in service. I hope you did not stay in the unit and that you spoke to someone at the Front Desk so that we could have moved you to a suitable unit. I assure you the condition of your unit is not in keeping with what the overwhelming majority of the owners and guest experience at this property. I take these issues very seriously. As such, could you email me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com so that we can discuss these issues and perhaps you can tell which unit you were staying in. I would like to communicate with you. FYI, there are no clogged drains at the pool. The puddle you are referring to is a puddle that occurs when water is splashed out of the hot tub. The pool decks get power washed every evening. Not to devalue your comments regarding our shuttles around the property, but I have never received a compliant that anyone had to wait for two and half to three hours for a shuttle. They regularly make a run around property every twenty five minutes. I do hope to hear from you.

Resort General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Arabic first
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Depending on what you are looking for, you may or may not like this place:

If you get energy from being around lots of people, need help staying entertained, don’t mind listening to lots of noise or participate in a long sell job - you will love this place
If you want a quiet, peaceful, relaxing retreat - don't stay here.

Over all the staff was helpful … at least as much as they could be. Everyone we talked to was friendly, but VERY rushed. Like most large corporations these days, the resort is clearly overworked and understaffed.

We had a several concerns with our stay:
- I tried to call the resort a few days before we arrived to confirm the reservation. I called 3 times. Each time I got a "Main Phone Operator" who transferred me to the front desk. Each time - no one answered the phone - I just got a voice mail box.

- When we did arrive at the resort, the lobby was very crowded & very loud - to the point that we were screaming at the reservation person just so they could hear us.

- Once we were in our room, we tried to connect to the internet but were locked out. We eventually found a card in the room indicating we could call a 1-800 to help with internet issues. When we called the number, a recording told us to make sure we had our "reservation number" and "phone extension number" - if we did not have this info, hang up and contact front desk. We tried to call the front desk 5 times throughout the day - each time we got a busy signal. We finally ended up stopping by the front desk after dinner. We talked to attendant #1 who really didn't know how to help us and referred us to attendant #2 who ended up helping attendant #1 find the required number. She then proceeded to tell us that internet will cost $5.00 a day. Really? Who charges for internet these days?

The really interesting part was once we actually connected to the internet, we found out that the connection is really $10.00 a day.

Another sad discovery was that once we connected to the internet, the connection was VERY poor. We tried to watch a movie on Netflix but the connection froze and was dropped every 10 minutes.

-The room was an average hotel room for the most part except for the noise factor. The floors and walls are VERY thin. We heard our neighbor’s TV most of the time we were in the room. One night we went to bed listening to a noise next door that sounded like a pair of shoes tumbling in a dryer. Any time someone in the rooms next to/below us shut a door, the walls would shake. We tried to keep the balcony doors open for some fresh air, but since our room was right next to the Gatlinburg Parkway the traffic noise was too loud so we had to shut the doors.

- The room clearly had not been cleaned correctly for quite some time. See attached photos of the tub. The Jacuzzi jets were covered with mold. The shower curtain had orange mold growing on it. The tub was discolored with black dirt. The tile and grout had mold also.

- The staff gets around the property on a fleet of golf carts. Not sure what the point was, but when we were loading and unloading the car, several staff members would drive by us and yell. We found this very odd and disturbing.

- If you are not already an “owner” of the resort, the main focus of the staff is to get you to become an “owner” NOT making sure you enjoy your stay. Because our reservation was a raffle prize at a fund raiser, the true owner of the time share requested that we fill out a survey so they could be refunded a deposit. The front desk did not know about this survey so they sent us to the sales office. We walked into the room and were quickly greeted by a sales rep who said they would find the survey and then disappeared to a back room. Eventually a manager came out and said they needed to know who our personal concierge was – which we did not have any knowledge of. The manager disappeared into the back room again. Eventually a third person entered the building and introduced themselves as our person concierge & wanted to give us a tour of the resort. We let the concierge know we did not have time for a tour and were leaving early for personal reasons. They did not like this answer and tried several times to get us to stay. This entire process took over 30 minutes & we ended up leaving without the survey. The sad reality was that the sales rep and manager were not trying to locate a survey – they were scrambling, trying to hook us up for a tour before we left the resort – even though they let us to believe they were trying to find the survey.

In conclusion, I am sure many people don’t mind the drawbacks of this resort but personally, for the price, renting a cabin in the woods is much more cost effective and MUCH more relaxing than renting a single hotel room here. Even though we did not actually pay for the room, we did ask about the price if we wanted to return – we were told our room (and only the room) would have been $180 for non-members and $140 for members. This price obviously does not include internet, indoor water park or many other activities available at resort.

6 Thank cincygirl101
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My sincere apologies for the many issues you had with your room and the various other challenges that you describe in your comments. Although we strive for perfection in everything we do from cleaning of the units to doing what we can to insure that all of our guests are satisfied with their stay, it appears that we dropped the ball with you. It also appears to me that your main concern and disappointment was the noise and activity around the property. As a family resort which usually has approximately 2000 guests on property at any given time, I understand your thoughts. As other issues come up, they seem to stack on top of each other with the end result being an unsatisfied stay. I would very much like to discuss these issues with you and see what I can do to make things right by you. Please email me at david_fishlock@wgresorts.com. Again, my sincere apologies to you and your family.

Best Regards.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here on our family vacation. I do not have a single bad thing to say about this place. The location was great and beautiful. It was not to far from anything in the area. The Welcome Center is right across the street so we were able to get information about the area whenever we needed it.

The room was spectacular. It was definitely the cleanest room I've ever been in. It appeared that they had thoroughly cleaned every aspect of the room TWICE! They supplied us with almost everything we needed in the kitchen, including paper towels. I don't like to use towels more than once and called for new ones often. They were always brought right away and by smiling faces.

My children had a great time in the pool. It was never too crowded and very clean. We didn't get a chance to use any of the other facilities on the premises because we had so much planned. I will definitely be returning and bringing my entire extended family with me. Maybe we can enjoy some of them then.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rena312
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your amazing stay with us. We certainly appreciate the many positive comments you passed on regarding your stay and our property. It’s wonderful to hear that you “definitely will be returning and bringing my entire extended family.!” We thank you for your business and look forward to your return visit.

Newport, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have stayed in many places in many states and also in Mexico, but this place by far was the bomb! we had a two bedroom suite, with balcony, fireplace, & hottub. Need i say more.
The water park is a must - very relaxing and especially enjoyed the cool water jacuzzi in the large pool. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top of the hill, top floor - no noise!
1 Thank Jimmy D
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Your positive comments are very much appreciated. We thank you for your business and look forward to your return trip.

cullman alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

WE had a wonderful time at westgate! Kids loved water park as well as the parents. Staff was very helpful and nice! Will stay there our next trip to the smokies!!!!This facility is convenient to all the smokies has to ofer. Your close to the action but you seem like your way off in the mountians ! GREAT PLACE!

1 Thank john m
Thank you for taking the time to tell us that you feel we have a “ GREAT PLACE “ here at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa. . We appreciate the feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that the kids loved the Water park, that the staff was helpful and nice, and that you will be staying with us again in the future. We also thank you for your business and look forward to your return trip.

Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a great time at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort. The views were spectacular and the service was great. We will definitely be back. This was the most relaxing vacation we had in a long time. The indoor waterpark was great for the kids especially at night. The market had a lot to offer and prices were very reasonable. Everyone at the resort was very friendly. We had a lot of fun at the resort and visiting the nearby attractions. Thank you.

3 Thank Janine R
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your great stay with us. I, and many of our owners and guests will agree, that the views on property are spectacular. You should see the views when the leaves change in the Fall! Thanks also for telling us about the great service and the friendly employees you experienced on property. We thank you for your business and look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Gilbert, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I really wanted to like this resort since my in-laws are owners. They put us in the wrong room type. The first room (a one bedroom) was shaped like a long closet, facing the parking lot, no balcony, barking dog next door. The place they moved us too was in the attic, but at least a balcony. Very small one bedroom, lots of people in all amenities,broken game room, not enough parking, waterpark was ok, but kids must be 48" to ride the slides, so small 7-year-olds were disappointed. I would look around next time.

Room Tip: It is very difficult to walk anywhere on this resort, it's on the side of a mountain. Get a roo...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay with us. My sincere apologies if we assigned you to the wrong room type. We do have several different one bedroom room types so it’s very possible that some one bedroom units would seem smaller than others. There are always lots of people on property at any given time because there is a very strong demand for our accommodations. We do run a very high occupancy during most of the year. I would really like to have you and your family stay with us in the future, however, I wish you and your family the best when shopping for room accommodations in the future.