“Best value in the smokies”

Gatlinburg Town Square Resort By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Best value in the smokies”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed with GTS 28 Dec thru 4 Jan 13. We had a one bedroom condo. I was very concerned after reading some reviews, but I am so glad that I booked this condo. The furnishings are as nice as I have had in the 15+ yrs of spending New Years in The Smokies. Our condo had a creek outside by the balcony and a mountain view. The fireplace was going as we arrived and the snow was falling outside our glass balcony doors.....a winter wonderland. The bed was comfy and everything was clean and very comfortable. I booked this condo thru AFVC and will do my best to book it again for next year as soon as possible. I don't know where these other people are staying, but this condo exceeded my expectations. The indoor pool was great for our grandchildren and the location by the strip was awesome.

Room Tip: Choose the phase II rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kathy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Thomaston, Georgia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family (which consisted of me, my partner, our four year old son, and my mom) stayed in room 501 in Phase I December 7th through the 14th. It was an RCI exchange and I believe most RCI guest stay in Phase I. We were somewhat concerned because we had read several negative type reviews but I would have to say that we were pleasantly surprised. We checked in after dark (be aware that the office is up the road from the actual resort) and it was an easy and friendly process. Our biggest complaint that goes along with everyone else's is parking. The parking area is underground with limited space. Pretty much every time we parked, everyone had to get out except me because opening the doors without banging into the car beside you is a true test of kindness. We have an Explorer...so an average sized SUV. It usually barely fit. There were some larger vehichles...they have some parking skills! The room was very clean and spacious. It was two bedrooms on the corner so it had two balconies. There were clean modern appliances and modern furniture. The kitchen is fully equiped and wall to wall appliances. There is only working room for one person at a time. If two people are trying to use it, you have to sort of work around each other. The master bathroom was really nice...garden tub with two sinks and lots of space. There were plenty of closets and extra blankets and pillows. They give you a few starter items such as dish and dishwasher detergent, kitchen garbage bags, paper towels, and toilet tissue)...but if you're planning on doing a lot of cooking and cleaning, you'll need to get more. The 'fireplace' is basically a heater designed to look like a fireplace that is turned on by a wall switch...it never even gave off any heat- just looked like it would. The tv was nice and there was one in all three rooms with dvd/vhs combo in den. The only other biggest complaint is the wifi. It was there..but we had better speed and more reliability from the motel 8 across the street! The resort itself is a hearty walk (15mins downhill to the street and uphill back so you don't want to be bringing back a lot of shopping items) from the main street...so we didn't walk down the street much. My mom has had bilateral knee replacement so the one night we ate in Gatlinberg, we paid for a parking lot. We usually ate in Pigeon Forge and spent most of our time there. We took enough laundry for the week because we were concerned with the washer/dryer comments we had seen. There just happened to be a laundry room on our floor...though it was a good walk from our room. The washer and dryers were very clean and free...they are actually like the set we have at our home. We ended up washing all our clothes before returning home so we wouldn't have to when we returned home. They had some events scheduled every day but the event person was sick the week we were there so I can't report on those. The indoor pool was so hot we couldn't stay in it...like a hot tub hot. The outside pool was closed but the area was nice. They also had a small play area, a ping pong table, and another outside game for kids to enjoy. We saw lots of rain so not any use...but they were there. The hot tub was very nice. We enjoy a hot tub outside when it's cold...we went out a couple of nights and enjoyed the night air. When we arrived, the guest bathroom didn't have a shower curtain..but someone brought one up. Every employee we met was friendly. If you are expecting a first class resort such as Marriott's reputation, then you may be dissappointed. However, if you feel most average priced Econolodges are clean and you get your money for them, then you will like it here. It is nice and clean on an average scale. Great to us as a family is a Disney resort...any Disney resort. I don't care for Gatlinberg because of the parking issues...there is more to see and do in Pigeon Forge...so we have no plans of staying here again...but only because of Gatlinburg. If it were in Pigeon Forge, we would consider it. I am always scared to stay at a place we have never seen...but this was better than we had imagined. There were some general upkeep and housekeeping issues that could be improved on, but overall, we enjoyed the condo. If I had one two suggestions that would make a big difference, better wifi and use one of the several closets for one of those washer/dryer stack combos...because most resorts these days have washer/dryers in them...it's become pretty expected. I selected average most of the time because very few places these days are above average...I expect a clean, spacious room with friendly staff...and that is what I got.

Room Tip: rooms on corners are spacious with great views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Richarda M
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. The room, accommodations, fire place, and hot tub in the rooms were amazing. The only downside is that the location is 1/3rd of a mile from the Gatlinburg Parkway up hill. However there was a cheap shuttle that stopped right in front of the hotel. We are planning on coming back for our anniversary!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Bjcornell
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This property has a fairly good location, with a short walk to the strip. The accommodations.....let's start with the rooms. The rooms are large and spacious or small and adequate. Our stay is a combo of two units, the small room joined with the large suite. So we had plenty of room, 2 fireplaces, 1 1/2 kitchens, 2 jetted oversized tubs, 2 showers, and 1 balcony on the creekside. Simply beautiful. Well appointed rooms, but some of the appliances and electronics need updated. They have a nice indoor heated pool, an outdoor pool that closes in the winter, and an outdoor jacuzzi that is open year round (but they struggle to keep it cleaned, with all the trees around). This property has the funkiest elevators ever. You have to push the button, and then back up against the wall in order to see which one comes available, and sometimes the same level is on different levels. (yeah, go figure that one out. YOu would have to see it to understand). But it all works out in the end. Funky, but fun place to stay. They have alway been, over the years, attentive to our needs if something breaks or goes wrong. They are a good group of people trying to accommodate their guests for a great stay. They do their best. If you go, keep and open mind, and realize this isn't a Marriott or Hyatt or Hilton (and frankly, I have stayed in some of those that are worse), and you should have a great stay.
~ Jeffrey

Room Tip: Ask for the larger type room with a blacony and living area and full kitchen, and ask for creek side...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jeffrey S
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was in October during the peak season. The resort is an easy 15-minute walk from shopping and dining and only minutes by car from the Great Smoky Mountains. Our second floor one-bedroom balcony unit was clean and included a well-appointed kitchen, a gas fireplace, king bed, TV's in living room and bedroom, jacuzzi tub, washer/dryer, and good WIFI. The sofa was long overdue for replacement, was like sitting in a hole. Another negative involved insufficient luggage carts. The day before checkout guests secreted carts in their rooms to be sure they had access to be able to make the rather early 10AM checkout. Toting a weeks worth of luggage to the garage without a cart involved many elevator trips and long delays waiting for elevators. Other resorts assure proper sharing by employing carts too tall to clear room entry doorways. This resort should consider such a solution.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Patrick73_12
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The property was very clean. We had a 2 bedroom lockout. My only complaint is the sofa and king size bed were not comfortable. They look nice but after sitting on the sofa (which is a sofa bed) the cushions sank which made it very uncomfortable. The bed when another person would get in made it feel like you were on a hill. The pillows were not the normal big soft fluffy pillows I am use to from Diamond International. The bedding did not fit the bed, and the bathroom ammenuties were very skimpy. Out side of that the place was great and I would come back for a visit. Location was very good, just up light 8.

Room Tip: I do not know about the other floors, or the other side, but ours was on the 1st floor and we heard...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lsa13
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We traded with RCI to stay here and couldn't have been happier. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The master bedroom had a king bed, a TV, 2 closets (with 6 hangers each), a dresser, and a huge master bath with jacuzzi tub. The second bedroom had 2 twin beds a closet and at tv. The living room had a flat screen tv that worked fine and comfortable furniture. The kitchen was small and oddly layed out, but worked fine. I would stay here again. We could walk down to the main street (about 4 blocks down the hill) or we could drive into the Smokies or Pigeon Forge ( a commercial wasteland).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple