“I Was Hoping for Some Mountain Air!”

River Terrace Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #66 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Atlanta
Reviewed July 16, 2005

The beautiful Smokey Mountains. They were not kidding when they said the area was smokey. At this resort I had ordered a non-smoking room. When I opened the door, I got a big whiff of...cigarette smoke. I ran away from my room, which hadn't been updated in at least 30 years, and I entered the restaurant. Instead of smelling some country cooking, I smelt...cigarette smoke. I am not a smoker, and I don't find cigarette smoke to be very appeasing. Smokers may not have a problem with this hotel, but if you want clean air you should look elsewhere. Even if you are able to receive a room that doesn't smell so bad, you will notice that the room will take you back to the 70's, literally. And that's not a good thing. The only updated appliance in the bathroom was the toilet seat. The only truly good thing about the room was that it had very comfortable mattresses. Cable TV worked fine, and the room came with a fridge. The staff was average. The resort is huge, anbd could really use some renovation. It does have three nice looking pools, but no fitness area. The price was around $100 per night, so I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton. The hotel might have been nice in the 70's, but it isn't today.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2015

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have updated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we have to enjoy.

There are newer reviews for River Terrace Resort & Convention Center

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 30, 2005

We stayed from June 17-June 22nd 2005. We stayed in the duck watch building. We had an awesome view and was close to everything. Yes, it is an older hotel but it was very clean and quiet. Our kids loved feeding the ducks from the patio.

The pool and grounds were very clean also. An added plus was you could cut through the walk ways leading from river road to the parkway and be right in the middle of everything in minutes. We loved it and will stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 29, 2005

One of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in, certainly in Gatlinburg. I was very pleasantly surprised with the River Terrace. I've seen it for years, but never stayed there. I chose it at the spur of the moment based on a coupon in one of the magazine available at a rest area. We got a $49.95 rate at the last minute during Spring Break, so I was willing to overlook a lot of problems as long as it was clean.

I was pleasantly surprised. We had a room in Bldg. 5. It was obviously an older building. The decor was odd--nothing really matched, but it was spotlessly clean. The sheets were blindingly white, as were the towels and the bathroom floor and walls. The carpet was also spotless. I actually began looking for problems and couldn't find any except for some light mildew on the ceiling in the bathroom...very slight. Other than wear and tear, the place was neat as a pin.

The room was enormous. We had two queen beds, two large armchairs, a small table, a full dresser, a large mini-fridge and microwave and still had a ton of room. There was easily room for a roll-away or a crib in the room. The bathroom had a sink, plus there was a sink in the dressing area with a coffee maker. The closet area was large as well. We were given plenty of towels and washclothes, too.

The hotel is brilliantly located. The trolley stop is practically next door. My kids loved watching the ducks play in the river out front. You cannot beat the location of this hotel, especially when you take into account the price. The front staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and even let me leave my car on the grounds for a couple of hours after we checked out so I could let the kids ride the trolley before we left town.

We'll use this hotel as our base in Gatlinburg. It may not have the glitz of the big chains that are being built on either end of the parkway, but you cannot beat it for value, location and hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2005
4  Thank kimmmah

Easley, SC
Reviewed March 29, 2005

My son and I stayed at the River Terrace last year. The hotel is older and needs updating. The room we were given when we first got there had a moldy ceiling from a water leak, however, when I complained to the staff they immediately moved us to another room without question. The cleanliness could be improved but the staff is very helpful and the location is wonderful, within walking distance of most of downtown Gatlinburg's sites. When we needed a toiletry item late one night we simply called the front desk and they had a security guard bring it to us. Also, whenever we needed directions there was always someone friendly to handle the questions. The fresh baked cookies served in the lobby everyday are a delight! I've been to newer cleaner hotels but that didn't have this type of friendly service.

• Stayed: July 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

HUNTSVILLE ALABAMA
Reviewed February 14, 2005

Hotel was clean but old. We were in buinding #5, the room was a good size with fridge and micro wave.there was no water pressure and we could not regulate the hot and cold water in shower. We asked for a different room but they said they had nothing else; even though we saw several empty buildings . We were close to everything. If you stay there ask for a room in a newer building, in advance.

• Stayed: February 2005