“Friendly Staff in a Quaint Location”

River Terrace Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #65 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife, adult daughter and I stayed at the River Terrace & Convention Center recently and were impressed by the helpfulness of the staff. We drove up from Savannah during a bad storm, that had closed some roads with snow and ice. When we finally arrived, the staff were very helpful and upgraded us to a larger room overlooking the river.
The room, although a little dated was clean and comfortable. We were also given undercver parking. The outlook over the river was picture perfect, particularly when it started to snow heavily not long after we arrived.
Due to the weather we decided to leave Gatlinburg a day early, in case the roads were closed. The staff refunded our last night's fee without being asked, which is something we did not expect, but greatly appreciated.
I would recommend this resort if staying in Gatlinburg.

Room Tip: Try for a river view room - it's worth it !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff P
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed are wonderful location in Gatlinburg and
How wonderful staff took great care of you and your family. I am excited to know that
You and your family enjoyed the view from the room overlooking the little pigeon forge river. So on behalf of Westgate it’s been a honor to have you as are guests.

Ray

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Because I booked the rooms thru Kayak.com and I was not sure if we can get ajointed rooms. Spoke with Karen several times, she was very helpful and sweet. The room is outdated and the entrance to the hotel is hard to find. But the hotel location is closed to everything. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank cunn5lz

Thank you for choosing the Westgate River Terrace. We appreciate your comments and are glad you found us to be a great value. We are thrilled to know that Karen was able to assist with your request. At Westgate Our Staff is there to provide with all of guests top level service. Once again thanks so much for staying with us!

Ray

Reviewed February 9, 2014

First of all I read several reviews before I booked with River Terrace. I read bad reviews and good and decided to go ahead and give them a try. Let me tell you for the price I could not have asked for more. The rates were very reasonable for what we got, a king bed (very comfortable), spacious clean room with a fireplace and a balcony that had a very good view of the river and Parkway. The staff was very friendly. On the first morning we placed the "do not disturb" sign on the door because we didn't want our room cleaned that morning. Later on in the day when we returned to our room housekeeping called and asked if we needed anything like fresh towels, more coffee or shampoo, if we did they would bring it right up.
Now granted there was noise from other occupants but I'm sure we made a little noise too. After all this is a Hotel, not home. The fireplace was such a nice touch! My next house will be built with a fireplace in the bedroom, we loved it! I really can't say anything bad about the place, we just enjoyed it. The location is perfect everything we went to do was within walking distance. There was plenty of parking at River Terrace so finding parking place was never a problem even if we did decide to drive somewhere. Great Place to stay and very reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda_Tortorici
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

We always appreciate and value your feedback. Our housekeeping staff certainly works very hard to ensure our guests are accommodated at the resort. We are very glad to have met your expectations and given you a relaxing vacation experience. We look forward to you returning!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Sadly enough my most recent stay at River Terrace was my fourth visit to this hotel, Always before, I had rented just an average 2 queen in the Atrium tower.... but this occasion was a special romantic trip, so I reserved a River View King and spent an additional $20 dollars. Check-in went smoothly and quickly, which was great since we had been on the road for six hours; we were hungry and anxious to get to a restaurant to eat. What was not great was having a that man in the lobby, who stated he was authorized by the manager to give occupants $100....(blah, blah, blah... one of those deals where they try to get you to visit rental property...) He REALLY did not want to take no for an answer. I felt like I was being harassed by a carnival barker.... We returned from dinner to find our room was on the second floor directly above the sports bar/ restaurant and was fairly noisy. as they were playing loud music below.... That was no problem though...as this did not last too long. We found to room to be very outdated, esp. the television but was clean. (Aside from having a wall of glass with a river view and balcony, the rooms in the Atrium are much nicer than these.). Internet service was available but it was so slow. The bed was comfy and the sheets were clean but they do not provide enough pillows. Worse was that we only had 2 towels to accommodate 2 people.... Reading the other reviews, I see this is an ongoing problem that management continues to ignore. Worse, was the fact that it was freezing (snow/ice on the ground) and we did not have hot water.) I called the front desk to report the towels/water and was told that we could come to the front desk for the last 2 towels they had but they had no one who could bring them... also that they had probably ran out of hot water because of frequency of the use by other guests... that we should try again in 30 minutes. It was LATE when I called, so I can understand the shortage of room service to bring towels... could not understand why they so obviously under stock them in the room. (Glad they didn't do this with toilet tissue...) And yes, it was late when I called and I didn't have hot water at 11:30 pm, 12 a.m., 12:30 a.m. or later... and didn't have it in the morning either, as we checked several times. But shouldn't a hotel make sure they have adequate water heating for their guests???? The person at the front desk didn't seem too concerned upon check out....not even an apology. Don't stay here. You can do much better with a $29.99 room in Pigeon Forge than spending $100 here,.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are better than the premium ones...bring your own pillows and towels
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DEBIdeal
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you had during your stay. The comfort of our guests is a top concern for us. The challenges you have described are being reviewed by our Management Team, as they share a common interest to ensure that these issues are corrected. We hope you will give us a second chance to serve you again.

Brittany

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Paper thin walls, I could hear everything going on. Fights going on in the parking lot. It's like staying in the old west. Room smells, parking is awful , did not feel safe! Stay at your own risk, not again

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take all of our guests’ comments into consideration as we are always looking for areas to improve. Please understand that during times of high occupancy it can be difficult to find parking. We hope to be able to exceed your expectations the next time you visit us!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Every year my family visits Gatlinburg, we always rent a cabin. So when my Fiance and I went there to celebrate our engagement, we wanted to be downtown but still have the view and the nature feel. We got just that! We got a room overlooking the river, and the balcony made you feel like you were right on top of the river. We had a beautiful mountain view and of the space needle. They were ducks in the river every morning that we got to feed. The room and balcony were both very large. We will defiantly stay there again! Loved how close it was to everything downtown and to the National Park!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer37093
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

On behalf of Westgate Resorts, we wanted to congratulate you on your engagement! It’s wonderful knowing that you were able to appreciate the scenic view from your room. Our resort is conveniently located near the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Downtown and Dollywood. Thank you for saying that our location is a nice place. We would love to have you visit us soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a room with a balcony overlooking the river and it was beautiful. The room was very spacious and clean. The 1st night staying they were out of clean towels but made up for it the next day. This is very close to downtown and has a beautiful view. The staff was very friendly!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy R
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

We are honored to have provided you with an excellent stay. Our staff members always strive to provide the best customer service experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to you returning.