“Great time in Gatlinburg.”

River Terrace Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #65 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
birmingham, al
“Great time in Gatlinburg.”
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I was a little bit skeptic of this hotel after reading all the bad reviews of it after i booked it. We arrived and the staff at the front desk were very friendly. We go up to our room in building 3. It was great!!! You could tell that it had recently been remodeled. Fresh paint on the walls. I never smelt any "odor" that everyone has been talking about. Our view from the balcony was great. Plus the hotel is right in a great location. its everything i was hoping for and then some. It was a great room for the price we paid. It is not a 5 star resort, so if you dont go into it thinking that it is, like some people who wrote reviews on this thought it was, it is excellent. It is about average for a 2 star hotel in Gatlinburg. My only complaint about the whole experience is that the spa was closed, and i was really looking forward to that. They are still in the remodeling phase so hopefully soon they will be done with it. I am planning to go back to Gatlinburg this February and i will be staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — The location and the room.
  • Disliked — The spa was closed.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have updated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we have to enjoy.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
louisville ky
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We arrived at 3, our room was ready so we checked in. We stayed in the Duck Watch building. Our balconey looked out over the river and we fed the ducks every morning. The room was huge and we could tell it had been recently remodeled. It was very clean although a little smelly, but I took air freshners and lysol, so I took care of that problem. There were 2 sinks, both outdated, the beds were comfortable. Only one pool was open, but it had a nest of some kind of giant wasp looking things at one end that flew everywhere so it as a little frightening to swim. Part of the patio on the pool level is was blocked off because the concrete was cracking and my guess is the hotel doesn't want to take a chance that it will fall in the river with their patrons on it. There were ramps to the second floor, no stairs or elevator. The grill had a pretty good breakfast buffet for $5.95 and their burgers and fries are also pretty good with good prices. I booked our stay several months in advance on their website. A couple months later I called the hotel to ask a question then a couple days before we were to arrive I called again to ask another question to be told the reservation had been cancelled by phone when I called before. They reinstated the reservation at that same price I booked it. I booked the Stay and Play package which included waterpark tickets everyday for all 4 of us at $79 a night. The waterpark is the nastiest one I have ever seen. The water was murky and very salty from other peoples' sweat. It is very small, I went once and my husband and children went 1 more time. They spent most of their water time in the one working pool at the hotel but had to stay at one end of it because of the giant flying wasp insects. The hotel took out the hottub. You get what you pay for. I don't think I will stay here again.

• Liked — Convenience to the main parkway for shopping/view from the balcony-feeding the ducks
  • Disliked — sliding glass door on the balcony did not lock/waterpark/outdated sinks/smelly room

cincinnati
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We travel to Gatlinburg yearly, and decided to try this property since we didn't need an indoor pool (we go every October). I have always been intrigued by the location.

We arrived at 2:45. I checked in, only to be told I didn't have a reservation. I had booked online in February, on the hotel's own website. Fortunately, I had printed my confirmation prior to leaving. Didn't matter. The hotel was "FULL", and no rooms were available.

I asked to speak to the manager. She was puzzled as to where my reservation came from. I told her, the River Terrace website. She checked with "Westgate" who owns the hotel (more about that later), and they couldn't find my reservation either. She was able to magically find me a room. 6th floor, atrium building, with the previously described view of the roof of the other building. The atrium building was filthy. Cobwebs and dust everywhere. Stains throughout on the carpet. We entered our "nonsmoking" room, only to be greeted with the unmistakable stench of stale cigarette smoke. The room itself was very sparse. As if it were an overflow room, or "hospitality" room.

Two hours later, after finding another hotel, we demanded a refund. The front desk clerk said "No, you'll have to pay for tonight". We again asked for the manager. She remembered our circumstance, and refunded our visit. The explanation for the smoking - "We can't control what our guests choose to do in the rooms".

On to the Westgate issue. Westgate owns this property. They have a new indoor waterpark in Sevierville. It was obvious during my extended stay at the front desk that those there for the timeshare "sell" were the priority. People were being checked in, only having to pay the room tax charge, were being given tickets for various events in the area free of charge. Westgate, in my opinion, was using the hotel for these guests, and couldn't care less about those of us merely wanting to enoy a vacation.

Bottom line -- STAY AWAY from this property. There are too many wonderful mom and pop hotels in Gatlinburg that truly care about their guests.

ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Our familly visits Gatlinburg every year, We usually stay at the Park Vista Resort but decided to try something different this year. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! The web site advertises rooms with a view, the view we got was that of the back of another building and the parking lot. It was terrible. We were on the first floor and did not have a balcony, we had a side walk with plastic chairs that we shared with the entire first floor. As soon as we realized this we went to the front desk and requested a room with a private balcony, we were told they were all booked up and there were no more rooms. This did not appear to be true as we watched people arrive and check in for three days after our request. We had made our reservations three months in advance but this gave us no advantage with room selection. The room was old, dirty and outdated. The electric outlets in the room and bathroom were outdated non-grounded and could pose a real safety hazard. The bathroom door would not close. The drop ceiling was old and water stained. We could not close the blinds and exit the room, this meant that anyone walking by could look into our room. There was no phone book or any other information about anything in the room. We stayed for three nights and were disappointed from the beginning. Never Again.

Now the only positive things about the hotel was location, it is within walking distance of everything downtown which was nice. The AC was old but very cold and the bed's were not bad. But not nice enough to ever stay there again. We'll go back to the Park Vista from now on.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The View and lack of privacy
1 Thank Gatlingoer

Newry
Reviewed July 3, 2008

When we arrived at the hotel we thought this is nice not the best but ok. On the third day of our visit house keeping came and changed the beds only to take a set of female and male underwear and put them on the floor, I asked the girl where she found them and she told me in the bed, This was not our underwear and the girl herself was shocked so We promtly went to the desk and spoke with the mangeress, told her that this room had obviously not been cleaned for us coming and asked to be moved rooms but after a couple of hours she imformed us the only rooms available where of a lower quality I thought she was very unhelpful so we checked out and moved to a new hotel. I would advise anyone who wishes to stay here to do so at your own risk.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — someoneelses underwear in my 8 year old daughters bed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank HolidayloversNewry

Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Many problems with this hotel. My first and last visit.
First, the internet access is limited. Beware of the website-it looks much better than it actually is! I called the hotel directly two days before my arrival and requested a room with internet access. I was assured by the clerk that I would have it.

When I checked in I was given a room on the back of the hotel. There was a stack of lumber and two huge garbage bags right by the door of my room. The whole parking area was littered with construction garbage.

I did not find any internet connection or instructions in the room. After trying for a while, I spoke with the front desk clerk and ask how the internet connection worked. I was told to pull the plug out of the phone and use that????????? When I stated that would not work, I was offered another room which I declined. On top of that, the furniture was filthy and the bathroom walls had a variety of stuff splattered on them. I ask for a refund and was offered a partial refund and did not accept that.

After this I left and located a nice room at another hotel. I called back to the River Terrace from that hotel and requested a refund explaining the deceptive promise regarding the internet and the unacceptable filth in the room to the hotel manager. They were very short and told me how wrong I was, but did finally refund my money. Trust me-it is a pleasure NOT doing business at this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Filthy rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Jazzilu

Clarksville, TN
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband and i just got back from our quick weekend get-away to gatlinburg.
We planned to arrive at 10 a.m. and see if our room was ready but because of construction we didn't arrive until almost noon. It took us a while to find the hotel itself also because the road to it was shut down for the arts and crafts festival. With a one month old screaming bloody murder in the back seat we were ready just to relax. Luckily our room was ready and we made our way to it and relaxed a bit. We reserved a room with a king bed but got one with two queens. Which was fine with us. It was a little cramped with two beds, an armour and a big table, plus our baby bed.
Since we only stayed a night we didn't unpack but the drawers did look a little on the worn side. The shower worked great. Everything was clean in the room. The walk up to the second floor got tiring because we were also pushing a stroller up the high incline.
We had a great view. We spent a decent chunk of the morning sitting on the balcony listening to the stream and the birds. Drinking coffee, watching the baby sleep. The hotel is set back from the main parkway keeping it pretty quiet but even quieter before every one is awake and everything is open.
The front desk was super nice and very helpful letting us know where things were at the hotel and around the city.
One of the pools was closed, unfortunately it was the one closest to us. The restaurant was alright, there are a bunch of others in the area that were better. It was close and well priced.
The only problem we had was the room wasn't the best for midnight feedings.
We plan to come back to gatlinburg, but maybe not to the river terrace. Id say its better the the motel 6 type places in the area but not better then some of the higher end places. Good for its price range, even better if you can find a room for a deal.

• Liked — The view, the ability to just get away on a reasonable price.
  • Disliked — Room size. Felt cramped even before we brought our stuff in.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family