“Spring Break 2013”

Ranked #66 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
“Spring Break 2013”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, unfortunately I have one more night to go. When I first walked in, the smell was horrible, Lysol didn't help. I had to go to Walmart and get bathtub cleaning supplies to clean the counters and tub. The furniture is dated back in the 80's and the carpet match the furniture. This was last minute for me but I can honestly say I will never stay here again!! Somethings you can't substitute, hotels are definitely one of them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauryn T
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back on your stay, and we would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced. We hope you will give us an opportunity to change your perception of us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Springville, Alabama
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Decided to stay here on short notice. Was very pleased with room. Although the hotel is older it was very clean and well maintained. We had a room with a fireplace overlooking the stream. I loved the location. It was within walking ditance to so much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and your recent stay at River Terrace Resort. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We all aspire to ensure that all of our guests receive an exceptional experience. We hope to see you real soon.
wi
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently had our wedding reception at the River Walk. We booked the room in the fall with Enola - she had a room perfectly set up when booked. In the mean time, they got a new events coordinator. We meet him a couple of months prior to the wedding and knew we had extra work to do. We arrived the day before our wedding well prepared to do extra work. We arrived and the room was set up, however, some of the chairs were moldy, table clothes were not appropriate size for tables, dust everywhere!, etc. Luckily, we stayed in contact with Enola and she came and saved the day!!! We got different chairs and different table-clothes (had to drive to Knoxville to get). We dusted and help wash glasses. We ended up bringing our own cloth napkins and candles. We brought our own lights for the trees. We spent half of the day there trying to make everything appropriate for a wedding. The general manager (?), Valerie, was also a wonderful asset to the day. She was very helpful and apologetic. After all the hard work, by Enola and Valerie and our family/friends that came to help - the reception hall was perfect. One person said it looked a "billion times better" than when we initially arrived.
The chef for our reception did a great job on the food - we had prime rib, turkey, etc.
The bartender for the night also rocked!! I do not recall her name, but she was superb!
The location was great - it was right on the gentle, flowing river.

POINT OF THE STORY: This can be a wonderful place for an intimate reception, however, be prepared to put A LOT of extra work into it. Enola rocks!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Leslie574
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience here at The River Terrace Resort. We are ecstatic that our management and staff impacted your stay so much! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay! Please come back again soon.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Upon my check-in at the hotel I noticed the rooms were outdated. Most hotels have upgraded to flat screen TVs, DVD players, etc., but this room did not. There was a lot of wear and tear on the furniture and the bathrooms could use an update as well. Although, I was expecting a more up-to-date room, considering the location, the room was very clean. I was surprised to notice how clean and neat everything was upon my arrival and throughout my stay. I was stocked of everything I needed daily and the room would be neat and clean again. The room could definitely use some updates, but the cleanliness made up for it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback of our River Terrace Resort. We take all our guest's comments into consideration as we are always looking for areas to improve. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
somewhere
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you read my review last year I believe I mentioned that when staying at a hotel anywhere your mileage may vary, well I have never proven this more to myself than this stay at River Terrace Resort in Gatlinburg TN. Last year was amazing, allow me to explain my experience this year, which semi ruined me and my wife's valentines day vacation. To begin, it is very hard for anyone to save up for a vacation these days, but I love my wife so we did just that. This is only our second vacation and we wanted it to be very special! So we made it a ten day valentine's day vacation. Now that you know how and why we got there, let me tell you about the stay. Upon requesting the room I had requested a DVD player, which a lot of hotels have now and you can pick them up for around thirty dollars, for a hotel with this much business they denied this very easy and reasonable request. Upon entering the room I could tell there was some wear and tear that was not there the year before(we got the same room). On the walls and the entryway to the adjoining room. The underbelly of the bed on one side was coming undone. Also the room was very dusty, I had sneezed a lot. The bathroom was the worst, when one goes on vacation and the bathroom is terrible it is never a good sign of things to come. The bottom of the bathtub had this huge permanent stain which I have ever seen one so bad before in my life, it made you not want to go in the bathroom because it stuck out so bad it was all you could see. In between the pulltab and the spout for turning on the shower was hair from the previous guest, as well as down the corner of the bathtub siding. On the lower right of the bathtub body near the floor, it was so dirty it was a completely different brown color that stuck out on the tub like a sore thumb, which I refused to clean, and remained dirty during my entire stay! The coffee pot leaked the entire time, and would refuse to work the first day, though I reported it no one fixed it, though it was a huge mess I either cleaned it up or it stayed dirty, room service did clean it once day to be fair. My wife got sick during our stay, and everyday we would come back and expect to find tissues, toilet paper, and the sort one needs during a stay, only to find that 8 out of the 10 days(9days if you dont count the final day aka our departure) the room was not totally stocked of what it was supposed to of been, which made me walk back and forth from office to room, all the time. One of the maintinence people/or room cleaners threw out some beef jerky I bought. To be fair there was a couple days where everything was cleaned up very nice, I guess several different maids end up working one building in the course of a week. Most of the time the floor was not even vacuumed. There is only two trashcans in the room, and both extra small. The light fixtures above both sinks were very dirty. We hated leaving the trash for the maids in such a manner, and apparently they did too because even though they did not feel like restocking everything, there was a few days they left us extra garbage bags. Everyday on my way to the office there was a wet floor sign in the way, I would always move it, and a couple times I even reported it. One day I saw it was finally gone, I was kind of sick and tired of moving it, only to figure out that it was laying around the corner where no one could see it, because I tripped over it and fell hard into the wall. At which time I moved it into the little room with the ice machine, and took a different path from then on. This was also reported to the staff with no apology recieved. The restaurant is very overpriced, however the staff there were quite nice. One night there was a terrible windstorm, you could hear branches take off and hit stuff outside. On this night I could not sleep so I got up, turned on the fireplace, put my back against the stones on the side of it, and began to do some of the writing I longed to catch up on. Suddenly one such branch outside hit either my patio or someone elses, and directly after a loose stone fell off the fireplace and landed right beside me! A few more inches and I am sure I would of been knocked out cold due to the height it fell and the weight. I searched the fireplace the following morning and found a second loose stone. What if this was one of your children who would of gotten hurt because of this oversight? On my final day I asked if there was anything I could fill out for the massive amount of things that happened during my stay so I could turn them all in. I filled out the form and turned it in, and though I got a thank you, still no apology and no sign whatsoever that anything would be made right. In addition there was not even enough room on the form to write down everything that happened! Which is one reasons I am writing this review. I called shortly after our return home to speak to the manager on the matter, however he was on vacation. When he returned I did get ahold of him, I was expecting a apology, and hopefully at least a small refund or a free day for a future stay(in a different room!) However all I got was a unfortunately no. No real apology and no sign that this would be made right for me at all. When you buy food at the store and get sick from it, the company who made the food owes you. When someone breaks a bottle over your head they should pay for your stitches. When you get injured during your stay at a hotel, nearly knocked out/possibly seriously injured in one of their rooms, endured a less than up to par room at a high price, and did not recieve all services promised, they should make it right!!! To conclude, there are hotels, business, and stores out there that will strive to make everything right and better. These stores you will always return to and get better service from. Then there are the ones that in my own opinion(again your experiences may vary from the two I have had so far) that are like River Terrace Resort. Where you may randomly have good experiences, but overall its a real poor bet, especially for the price. If all your looking for is a real sure fire good location, and do not mind paying a lot of extra cash for it. This is a good place to stay. If your anyone else, like myself, I will from now on be staying somewhere else and probably paying half as much, and more than likely actually get everything I pay for.

Room Tip: Hope for the best...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AdamRRR
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with our hotel and taking the time to provide feedback. I am deeply sorry that your stay did not meet our standards of outstanding service. The details you have provided are helpful for us to improve. While our hotel is rather dated, we are always updating, and we hope that you will allow us an opportunity to change your perception of us.
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in Gatlinburg, and we were lucky to find a winner in this place! You are right next to Ripley's Aquarium, and practically on the strip! The rooms are a little outdated, but the location, & value makes up for that. We will be coming back, and plan on making this our home away from home!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Refjmac
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and your recent stay here at The River Terrace Resort. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We aspire to ensure that all of our guests received an exceptional experience. We hope to see you again very soon!
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is an older hotel. Our first room smelled like mold, paint coming of the wall. When we complained, the clerk said she could send someone up to spray the room. We requested another room, they gave us a handicap room. The toilet overflowed. We were to stay 2 nights, but we checked out after one. The clerk did not ask about our stay; she just credited our credit card.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank veryupset3
Thank you for your review of your stay at River Terrace Resort. We take all our guest's comments into consideration as we are always looking for areas to improve. Yes, our hotel is quite dated but, we are constantly upgrading. I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the service that you deserve. We hope you will give us another opportunity to change your perception of us.