“Quick Get Away”

Ranked #65 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Elberton, GA
“Quick Get Away”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We traveled to Gatlinburg for quick get way. We didn't book a hotel but took our chance on finding one in the area. The location of this hotel was excellent. You can walk everywhere and never move your vehicle. The staff was excellent. Rooms are you basic hotel rooms. We had a fireplace, but it for decorations and not for heating the room. The decor is dated but clean. If you are looking for clean and convenient, this is your place. If you are looking for perks, I would try another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us at the River Terrace Resort. We hope that you be our guest again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Meadowview, Virginia
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are spacious and I like the fact it had two sinks one in bathroom and one on the outside of bathroom, beds semi comfortable, walking distance to the down town shops. I wouldn't stay again cuz it is awkward for the entrance to your room. Not the best I've started but also not the worst so i wouldn't recommend to a friend...

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Renee W
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for staying with our hotel and taking the time to provide feedback. I am sorry that your stay did not meet our standards of outstanding service. The details you have provided are helpful for us to improve. This is not the experience many of our guests tell us about, and we hope to welcome you back to provide a quality vacation.
DuQuoin, Illinois
Reviewed December 6, 2012

DO NOT stay here. Hotel room was broken into on 11/11/12. Security people not helpful to tell us to call the police and make out a report. Did not find information out until we were back home. Housekeeping left door open or someone. Came back to our room with our friends who could verify that door was open after a show to find door open and necklace stolen. Gatlinburg police very nice. River Terrance security did not even question our friends who was with us or ask for description of stolen item. River Terrance security said our home owner insurance agent had to call to even receive a report. What a joke. My first experience to have something stolen. Wasn't sure how to proceed. Hotel gave no help or information to tell us. Just wanted necklace back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nanapoppy2014_
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We are so sorry to hear about your missing item. We understand how disappointing it can be when you loose something of value to you no matter the circumstances. Our loss prevention team takes these situations very serious and always hopes for the best outcome. We have followed up with our team and appreciate you reaching out to us to look in to the reported missing item.
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed December 5, 2012

December 5, 2012
This place was a dump. I should have known by how the reservations were handled. I was told that the Westgate Resorts policy was to charge a $200 damage deposit to my credit card and that I would be reimbursed at check out, provided there was no damage. Nice...

Also, their cancellation policy requires 72 hour notice rather than the usual 24. I only persisted with the reservation because I had bad information thinking that the rest of the team was staying there. I sure paid the price for being ill informed!

We checked in our room in building 6. It was dark and there are no signs around the buildings, so to find our building we had to get out of the car each time and look close up at the door numbers...that's right, just like the Bates Motel, the doors to this "resort" were all facing the parking lot.

When we got to our room, the folks in the room next door were standing in their doorway and outside drinking and welcoming their friends as they drove up...a party was just getting started. I don't begrudge a party, but the walls were thin and we really needed a good nights sleep. I called the front desk and asked to move rooms.

We were moved to "The Atrium" building where the rooms were inside. That was an improvement, but the rooms were still old. The beds were 70's style springy-bouncy types with thin pillows. The rooms were dark with only two 40 watt lamps to light the entire space.

I knew that there was no way we were staying there a second night, so I turned on my laptop to look into accommodations elsewhere. The internet didn't work, so I called the front desk. The lady said she would have the maintenance guy "reset the box." Hoo-boy. It never came on.

It was a cold night, so I went to turn on the heat and the heater vents were filled with dust and lent. They were disgusting (see pics). There was an exposed outlet in the wall too, which seems to me be a fire hazard. The couch by the elevator looked like someone had changed many diapers on it...disgusting. (see pic)

The carpet was filthy (judging from my dirty socks after walking around the room) and the refrigerator was leaking (which I discovered after walking through the puddle in front of it).

I tossed and turned and finally when I was fed up trying to sleep I turned to my iphone to look for new accommodations (thank you Verizon)! It took a while but I found a great room at the La Quinta in Sevierville for the next night. My decision was vindicated when I woke up the next morning and discovered no hot water for a shower and the coffee machine didn't work.

I believe that the good reviews on this board are either people who don't get out much (sorry) or they are fake reviews posted by the a third party, hired by Westgate. There was nothing comfortable or attractive about this place. (See pics).

Don't be duped!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AVogt_11
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we were troubled to hear of the challenges you faced during your stay. Your feedback has been shared with our management staff and we will be investigating how to ensure these challenges do not occur again. We hope you allow us to alter your perception of our property in the future.
South Carolina
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is, at best, a fair to middling place to stay but the per night price may lead you to expect more than they have to offer. The beds were comfortable enough but the bathtub drain was partially plugged so by the time I finished my shower, I was ankle deep in bathwater (maybe not gross to some but it is to me). Also, I stayed for two nights and I didn't notice until the day that I was to check out that there was drops of dried blood on the side of the mattress and box springs. This leaves me with two conclusions and I don't know which is worse. Either they don't change the sheets regularly or they don't care that there is a biohazard present on one of the beds that they are renting to the public. I would definitely stay somewhere else if I were to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dunk145
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay and property. We are truly disappointed for the challenges you faced and that is definitely not the service we aim to provide. We hope you will accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you encountered and hope that you will give us another chance to better your perception of our River Terrace resort.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My family and I spent Thanksgiving eve-weekend here for my son's football tournament. Our room was very large, comfortable, and served my family of four well. The room was clean. You can tell that this is an older property, but it is very well maintained. We did have issues with hot water for showers, but maybe this was because hotel was at capacity. The problem was solved by showering late night/very early am. They do have washers, dryers, and a restaurant on-site. Microwave and mini-fridge in room were helpful. Excellent location right off strip in G-burg. FYI..Gatlinburg charges for parking. Park at the hotel and walk.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room with a balcony overlooking water.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank refinedruffneck
Thank your for your review of our River Terrace Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. we were troubled to hear of the challenges you faced during your stay. Your feedback has been shared with our management staff and we will be investigating how to ensure these challenges do not occur again. We hope to see you in the near future so we can exceed your expectations.
Jackson, Ohio
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just spent five nights and was very pleased! After reading other reviews, I wasn't sure what this $83 / night room would be like. Opening the door we found a very large room with king bed with sheets that were changed every other day. Clean carpet and bathroom. Maid service was great each day, always fresh towels and cleaned room. Very roomy balcony overlooking the river. Location very central to Gatlinburg parkway. We left our car at motel and walked everywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric B
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are delighted to hear that we satisfied your need for a truly distinctive vacation. Please come back and see us again soon!