“Absolutely Wonderful”

Ranked #66 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
North Ga
“Absolutely Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

Everything about the hotel was wonderful. The louge and restaurant was very nice. The room was excellent. The staff was very friendly. And not to mention location, location, location. Thank you River Terrace for a wonderful weekend getaway.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank onehundred
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have updated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we have to enjoy.

Ariel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
CLearwater
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

The location is lovely, but everywhere in Gatlinburg is. It is an older hotel, like most there. The staff are very nice. The design was out dated, but again most hotels in Gatlinburg are out dated. So if you prefer a smashing room at the Four Seasons or anything close, then you will be disappointed with Gatlinburg.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kensiesfate

Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

I don't know why there are so many bad reviews about this hotel! I've stayed at this hotel for many, many years. Its your average hotel w/an excellent location. The view and landscaping is very beautiful w/a nice river; very quiet and tranquil. The rooms are very clean and are your basic rooms. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't go on vacation so I can spend time in my hotel room. All I need is a room that is clean w/the basic amenities and a great location...this hotel is just that! You can't beat the rates either. If your looking for a 5 star resort don't go to Gatlinburg. Its a family town w/Holiday Inn type hotels. This isn't Rodeo Drive people. I would most definitely stay here again. Actually I am, staying here in October for my honeymoon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SkiddySkidders

Chattanooga TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband and I have stayed in Hotels before with some bad reviews and found a totally different experience so I booked the River Terrace for a 2 night stay this past weekend in spite of the negative comments from a few months ago.

What a disappointment! This place is beautiful from the outside. So beautiful that you would never guess that the rooms could be so bad. We were in the Mountain View building and upon opening the door I noticed the horrible musty odor. It never went away the entire time. There were no lightbulbs in the bedside lamps and even after taking a lightbulb out of the dressing area and putting in the lamp, it still would not work.

The thermostat for the heat didn't work. It was either run the heat with the room 100 degrees or turn it off with no heat at all. There are no working outside ice machines at all in the winter and the hot tub was closed. The lady at the desk said that both of them were broken.

Housekeeping is severely lacking to almost non-existant. The carpet was filthy, furniture old with finish worn off, doors were chipped and paint worn off, we had a 1/2 full bottle of complimentary shampoo in our amenity basket which meant it had been used and housekeeping didn't seem to think it was necessary to throw it away and replace with a new bottle. Bedside table had something icky in it when I reached inside for the phone book. The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable or I would have seriously considered leaving the place.

After our first night as we headed down to town, we stopped by the office and asked for 2 chairs for our balcony, (others had them but we didn't), and also 2 more pillows. Upon our return the chairs were outside our room(manager had called maintenance for these) but the pillow request was ignored which takes me back to the housekeeping complaint.

The only positive about our stay was the River Terrace is very convienent and the view from the balcony is nice but not nice enough to withstand the numerous negatives.

I could not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they were my worst enemy. We will NEVER stay here again and I have voiced my complaint with Hotels.Com also.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unclean Rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank SharonCruise

Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

This hotel was terrible!!! We stayed here because of a convention. When we arrived we were impressed by how beautiful everything looked on the outside. We were excited and were hoping for nice rooms, as soon as we walked into the room we were extremely disappointed. We had booked three rooms and they were all the same. They all had a musty smell, soiled carpeting, stains on the chairs and bedspread, the bathroom linoleum was peeling, the sink was rusty, the wood from the cabinets had peeled off.. Very poor lighting, all of the rooms made us feel like we were staying in a cave, very dark. We felt like we couldn't take our shoes off due to the filty condition of the carpeting. We will not be staying here again, there are much nicer places in Gatlinburg to stay that are clean.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank tab47

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

My 15-year-old son and I stayed here for 5 days (4 nights) in June, 2007, and had a blast! The staff was VERY friendly and helpful--had a problem getting to my room because of a physical problem I have and they changed my room immediately with no complaint. The rooms were attractive and clean. Because of a few complaints voiced on the 'net I brought a supply of anti-bacterial wipes and cleaning supplies--they were NOT needed. Best time I ever had on vacation!

• Liked — Attractive rooms--extraordinarily helpful staff
  • Disliked — Not all of the buildings had elevators which I need and didn't know till I got there.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Harvester1

Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

My husband and I took a quick getaway to Gatlinburg for Labor Day weekend. I was looking forward to staying at this hotel because I had always thought it looked so cute from the outside. There is a wonderful little creek running along the outside of it and it is within walking distance to all the attractions. However, when we got to our room we were VERY disappointed. The room had this very wet musty smell to it. My husband has mild asthma and within the hour of being there he was pulling out his inhaler. I have no breathing problems at all and even I started feeling like Iike I was having problems breathing. This had nothing to do with altidude because as soon as got out of the room we could breathe better. The carpet even felt damp from the mildew. The beds were ok, not the best, not the worst. The bathroom was very outdated and dirty looking. The tub did not drain and would fill up to about mid calf when taking a shower. My husband called maintance to come up and fix the shower and they did but we aren't sure what they did because they didn't seem to put any Draino down because the shower never drained properly at all. We were so dissapointed with our stay that we checked out a day early and went home. When I did check out the staff did not seem to care about our stay or anything even though I was politely trying to tell them our problems. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple