“Beautiful View”

Ranked #65 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
tosa, wi
“Beautiful View”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here for a few days this past week. It is located by stoplight 5 on River road in Gatlinburg. The location is super convenient. The buildings are older and in need of updates, but at least they were clean. During our stay, our toilet stopped working. I called the front desk who said they would call maintenance. We left for several hours and the toilet was still broken. The maid had been there to freshen up the room. She left the toilet seat up and the toilet was running and swirling like crazy. So happy my husband was able to fix it. I was just irritated that no one from the hotel had bothered to help fix it or follow up on that. The best part was the balcony that overlooked the mountains. If you are disabled or have difficulty walking, request building one or two. We stayed in building five. We had to walk up two very steep hills and two flights of stairs to get to our room. It is not an easy hike. The stay was good otherwise. I did appreciate the free wi-fi that worked well.

Room Tip: Ask for builing 1 or 2. The others require a difficult hike.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are disappointed that we did not exceed all of your expectations. We hope we have the opportunity to host you again so that we may provide the service we are known for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Granite Falls, North Carolina
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I asked for a nice room next to the river for our anniversary. We were put in a building on the backside with absolutely no view - well . . . the view from our balcony was the parking lot with the backside of another building. BUT . . . the worse part was that the room was terrible. As you will see from the pictures, there was mold in the bathroom and stains in the tub. Yes, I shared the info and the pictures with the front desk. The lady checking us out gave us a $30.00 credit back on our charge card and asked me to send the pictures to her and the general manager and she apologized and said that the conditions we found were totally unacceptable. She was very friendly and very apologetic. However, I would not take a chance on staying here again even though she was as nice and as friendly as could be.

One other thing, the bed was probably the most lumpy bed I have ever experienced in my life. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to read that your overall stay was not satisfactory, we are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Jefferson City, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My father had booked us a room for here for my husband and I honeymoon..so after our wedding, we drive up to the hotel, go in and ask for our room, i was 18 and they refused to give me the room that had already been paid for, because it was prom night and you had to be 21, i was standing there with my wedding veil still on and everything, this really made us mad, so needless to say we had to contact my dad who made the reservations, he called the office and they told him that he had to drive up there to check us in, so we had to sit outside the hotel for 2 hours waiting on my dad to check us in, then they said they would give us a complimentary stay for the inconvenience, never happened...we got to the hotel room, which had a fireplace in it, we could not even use it cause when you turned it on it reaked of fumes, needless to say, my wedding day was supposed to be one of the happiest days in my life, and thanks to them i spent it outside in my car for all together four hours, very upset with this place..i am now 23 and have refused to stay at this place since, as well as my family..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are quite disappointed that you left unhappy. We apologize sincerely that you experienced a bit of a juggling act to get you into a room you were not happy with. We truly wanted you to be happy with your room. Yes, we do have an age requirement at our resort for check in and that is in place to safeguard all parties involved. It is never our intentions to ruin someone vacation experience. We pride ourselves in creating memorable vacation experiences that exceeds our guest expectations. I hope you will return to visit again under different circumstances. We look forward to making you happy.
Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2012

check in was ok, nothing special. (staff didn't care I was a westgate owner) . The room was on a steep hill . we were put in an older section , the rooms near the office and pool were newer and nicer. The pools were clean and nice. The room was kinda small (I've stayed at worst places) but it was clean. the A/C made a little noise ! and the doors were glass and had blinds on them.(so the sun wakes you up at 7am) I had to call the front desk for extra towels and they were pretty fast getting them to the room. my daughter needed some makeup remover they didn't have that, even though its on the list of items the offer for free. no paper racks. this hotel is not westgate quality. the room where you got on the elevator smelled like mildew.

Room Tip: im 40 and didn't like walking up the hill to room ! rooms near pool are a lot better than what...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank william423
RTGM, General Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'm happy to hear you had a pleasant stay at River Terrace and I hope you stay with us again in the future.

Valerie DeVarso
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was fine for a one night stay, but I wouldn't' have wanted to stay there longer than that. The pictures on the website were a bit misleading - the lobby/check-in area are in a separate, very nice building. The restaurant also looked nice, but they were closed while we were there. Both were on the opposite end of the spectrum from the rooms.

The first set of key cards we received were coded incorrectly so we had to return to the front desk to have them recoded. The room itself was quite large, but reeked of fake rose petal air freshener. If you are sensitive to smells - forget it. I often get migraines and it was a miracle I didn't get one from the smell. I searched the whole room for the source and finally decided it must have been vacuumed into the carpet - no way to get rid of it.

The bathroom was a bit on the dingy side, but a good size. The bed was a bit lumpy - but not a deal breaker. The staff was friendly, the view from the rooms was nice and overall it was good deal for the money, but I doubt I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor - the second or third level of building six will have the best views of the ci...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suzgoh
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your review. As you found, our staff always looks forward to servicing our owners and guests with a memorable vacation time. We appreciate your compliment on the nice view from your unit. Your feedback will be used to help us make any necessary changes to the resort. We hope that you have a chance to visit with us again!

Ariel
Alabama
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband & I stayed here 15+ years ago on our first trip to Gatlinburg. This past summer we returned to the area with our children and had reservations at another property. The first night I just wasn't happy with that choice so when we were out walking the next morning and passed by the River Terrace I mentioned moving there. Nobody looked very excited about the idea because the place we were already at was "nicer" in their opinions. We did end up moving though and I was so much happier. The location is great and lots of places are just a block or 2 away. Our room was spacious and very clean. By the end of the first full day everyone else was happy too. Both times, we stayed in one of the front buildings, with the pool right outside our door and if we were to return that would be my choice again. We had 1 meal at their restaurant and enjoyed it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, September 29, 2015
Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your stay and would love to have you visit us again. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely, Nat
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Day 1 - arrived to a "in training" young lady which I commented about jokingly when one of the other 4 members replied "we're all in training."
Day 2 - Found that we had a broken/non-working remote control. The "guest services" expected me to come to the office to repair the remote and pick up clean towels. Oh. No more roll away beds; no more coffee tables (in the 2 story suites in building 3 aka the tower. Was forced to call the new owners Westgate Resorts to get this day taken care of . .
I could go on and on. Bottom line was Thursday afternoon arrival, Monday morning departure for a total of $462.00 and change for this "suite." Guest service or customer service - horrible. Cleaning staff - I NEVER saw any and had to endure a non cleaned room for the majority of my stay having towels delivered to my door; only 1 day of made up bed and trash removal.
I will NEVER, ever return to Riverside Terrace and this review is from a 15 year patron. I miss the good old days when you being a faithful got you remembered by name with a complimentary plate of cookies waiting in your room.
I would rather sleep in the forest with starving bears than return to this so called establishment. This is what happens to fine hotels that get bought out by owner or corporate greed.

• Stayed May 2012