“Nice hotel but not worth the money”

Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed April 11, 2006

My daughter and I attended a wedding in Gatlinburg and this was our first experience there--we are returning the first week of May but not staying at the Park Vista. The ride up the very steep winding driveway was ominous and quite tricky to drive down, I can't imagine this drive in the winter. We had made reservations in August and were promised "spectacular views." Our room was on the first floor and our "spectacular view" was that of the roof of the pool area. Our door did not lock. The room itself was average and clean. The restaurant was pricey for the quality. Our friends' reception was held in one of the banquet rooms and was well attended by the staff. The staff was courteous and helpful, our lock problem was taken care of quickly. It is far away from other restaurants and businesses so walking is not an option to get downtown. It is a very impressive building and easily recognizable throughout the town, but the best thing we found about it was its proximity to Roaring Fork Motor Trail. Not a place we will return to or recommend, however.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank laci729
Write a ReviewReviews (3,470)

Reviewed April 4, 2006

My husband and I attended the Tennessee Education Association's convention at the Park Vista. I was worried after reading the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised by our stay. Our room was spacious and clean. Room service brought us a fabulous breakfast. The catering for the conference was delicious with variety and a high quality of food. Hotel employees were friendly. The pool was clean and the mini gym was a nice surprise with the same high quality equipment my gym has at home. Our carpet was a little worn in the room, but it didn't bother me. The beds were comfortable. The ambiance in the lobby was nice. We felt totally safe and at home at the Park Vista. Definitely better than other places we've stayed in Gatlinburg. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank belindai
slidell, la
Reviewed March 30, 2006

This was a family trip to Gatlinburg. We had four rooms booked with a credit card guarantee. We called the afternoon of arrival to tell them that we needed a late check-in and wouldn't be there until 10pm and to make sure they had our credit card number. They did and said it was not a problem -- or so they said.

We got there and the night manager, Miss Virginia, was unbelievable. I have never had an encounter quite like this one! She said that they didn't have our rooms. There were NO other hotel rooms available in the area and we had just driven several hours to get there. We didn't know what to do. We had four young children with us. She knew we were all related and said that there were no rooms. Then she said we could have three rooms after much, much arguing. People coming in after us were checking in and getting rooms. We were together and she wanted to sell one of our rooms to someone else to make more money for the hotel.

With all of the arguing and disagreeing there were no raised voices, no foul language, no name-calling, none of that. We simply wanted our rooms that were guaranteed with the credit card. She wouldn't answer our questions as to whether there were people in every room in the hotel. She was being very deceptive. She threatened to call the police on us and we told her to go ahead. We were not being loud or disrespectful and she had no grounds. She called the police and they came and did nothing because we weren't doing anything wrong.

We had to bunk together for one night and when we got to the rooms it was disgusting. The sheets on the bed were dirty. A roll-a-way bed was brought and there were feces smeared all over the sheets when we pulled them back. The toilets were dirty. It was truly disgusting.

I cannot even begin to tell you about this horrendous hotel. That is all just the tip of the iceberg. If you would like a clean hotel with friendly staff this is not the place to go!

• Stayed: May 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ALCOA,TN
Reviewed March 27, 2006

SIMPLY PUT.. THIS HOTEL HAS BED BUGS! I was awaken on the morning of March 4th with at least a half a dozen crawling in bed with me.I notified the front desk and they had me change rooms. After notifying the general Manager all she had was excuses, actually mentioned that what I saw was LADY BUGS! She done her investigation and said she found nothing and said she had an exterminator come in and he found nothing.After I mentioned that I would like to come back up and see the night clerk on duty and discuss this with her she never contacted me again.THIS PLACE IS ABOUT TO FALL ALSO!!! The furnishings some of which are still there from when this hotel was built in the 70's. TRUST ME STAY ELSE WHERE!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sumiton, Alabama
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Pro:
Requested a room with a great view and received it. But of course, the current hotel management/staff had nothing to do with the great view! Compliments to the good Lord on that one!

Cons:
1) Had to take my two sons through a honky tonk to get to our room. There's a bar in the lobby not separated from everyone else. No way of walking around without still breathing the smoke and seeing two alcoholics with their bare legs wrapped around each other. Try explaining that one to a child!
2) Requested a non-smoking room. But what good does getting a non-smoking room do if every time you open the door to your room smoke hits you in the face from downstairs? Or if you open your balcony door the smoke comes in under the door into your room?
Smoke rises people!
3) Water temperature in shower kept changing drastically from really hot to cold and back again. The shower wall hadn't been cleaned in forever.
4) There was a "Pot Party" going on in the room next door to us. My youngest son kept asking, Mom, what's that smell?! They had a drink glass left outside their door for 2 days! Where was housekeeping?
5) Mattresses and pillows were pathetic!! No sleep for three nights.
6) There were no wash cloths left for us during the last cleanup so I called downstairs...they sent us some up right away...THAT WERE DIRTY!. Somebody's mascara was still on it. It was also left on one of the itty bitty towels we had to dry off with.
7) Parking was awful on Fri/Sat nights because of all the "partiers".

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hampton, VA
Reviewed March 13, 2006

Every hotel I have ever stayed at has had a cancellation policy requiring notice somewhere between 4PM day of arrival to 24 hours in advance. Gatlinburg Tennessee's Park Vista requires an unbelievable 3-day advance notice for cancellation. So if your travel plans are subject to changes, stay away from Park Vista. When I tried to check in a day early, I was told no room was available in this large hotel (in January?). Then $7 was added to the charge on my credit card statement above what I was told the total with taxes would be. Beware.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2006

I was very disappointed with our entire stay at this hotel. The only positive I can point out is that the maintenance crew did a great job keeping the very steep hill to the hotel cleared during the snow.

When we made the reservation, we booked a double bed standard room. The check in was average with no issues. Until, we walked into our room. There was one bed and a sofa sleeper. I don't consider that a double room. I went back to the desk and the attendant was very rude by saying that is the only room they had for me and that is what my reservation was for. We immediately tried calling several other hotels, but since it was Valentine's weekend, we had no luck. Upon further inspection of our room, we realized we were given a handicap accessible room. The hotel was probably last updated in the late seventies or early eighties. The carpeting was torn in several places, the mattress was very lumpy, the decor was very outdated. In general, this was not the class of hotel we would have expected for the price.

• Stayed: February 2005