“Asthmatics (and People with Morals) Beware!!!!”

Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg
Ranked #14 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Sumiton, Alabama
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Pro:
Requested a room with a great view and received it. But of course, the current hotel management/staff had nothing to do with the great view! Compliments to the good Lord on that one!

Cons:
1) Had to take my two sons through a honky tonk to get to our room. There's a bar in the lobby not separated from everyone else. No way of walking around without still breathing the smoke and seeing two alcoholics with their bare legs wrapped around each other. Try explaining that one to a child!
2) Requested a non-smoking room. But what good does getting a non-smoking room do if every time you open the door to your room smoke hits you in the face from downstairs? Or if you open your balcony door the smoke comes in under the door into your room?
Smoke rises people!
3) Water temperature in shower kept changing drastically from really hot to cold and back again. The shower wall hadn't been cleaned in forever.
4) There was a "Pot Party" going on in the room next door to us. My youngest son kept asking, Mom, what's that smell?! They had a drink glass left outside their door for 2 days! Where was housekeeping?
5) Mattresses and pillows were pathetic!! No sleep for three nights.
6) There were no wash cloths left for us during the last cleanup so I called downstairs...they sent us some up right away...THAT WERE DIRTY!. Somebody's mascara was still on it. It was also left on one of the itty bitty towels we had to dry off with.
7) Parking was awful on Fri/Sat nights because of all the "partiers".

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,415)

Hampton, VA
Reviewed March 13, 2006

Every hotel I have ever stayed at has had a cancellation policy requiring notice somewhere between 4PM day of arrival to 24 hours in advance. Gatlinburg Tennessee's Park Vista requires an unbelievable 3-day advance notice for cancellation. So if your travel plans are subject to changes, stay away from Park Vista. When I tried to check in a day early, I was told no room was available in this large hotel (in January?). Then $7 was added to the charge on my credit card statement above what I was told the total with taxes would be. Beware.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2006

I was very disappointed with our entire stay at this hotel. The only positive I can point out is that the maintenance crew did a great job keeping the very steep hill to the hotel cleared during the snow.

When we made the reservation, we booked a double bed standard room. The check in was average with no issues. Until, we walked into our room. There was one bed and a sofa sleeper. I don't consider that a double room. I went back to the desk and the attendant was very rude by saying that is the only room they had for me and that is what my reservation was for. We immediately tried calling several other hotels, but since it was Valentine's weekend, we had no luck. Upon further inspection of our room, we realized we were given a handicap accessible room. The hotel was probably last updated in the late seventies or early eighties. The carpeting was torn in several places, the mattress was very lumpy, the decor was very outdated. In general, this was not the class of hotel we would have expected for the price.

• Stayed: February 2005
12  Thank SOKYFARMER
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed February 3, 2006

We attended a high school band and orchestra event at the hotel. When we went to our room we realized it was not the room we reserved three weeks prior. We notified the front desk and were told nothing could be done. The next day 45 minutes prior to the event as we were literally walking out the door the phone rang. It was the front desk asking us if we could move to another room. We told them no as there was no time to move and make it to our event. While we were at the event, it lasted five hours, they moved all of our stuff to another room. They did not notify us or leave a note on the door or anything. We found out about while trying to open our room door and noticing key would not work and then a stranger opened the door. They offered no apologies for the inconvenience or even acted that they cared that we were upset about the situation. I immediately checked out and will never stay at this hotel again. Well it wasn't exactly immediate. We had to dig through our jumbled luggage for a while to find our car keys.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2005

From reading all the reviews, I was a little nervous about staying at this hotel. However, I received a great rate for the holiday season, and wasn't too worried about not getting a view or having shabby furnishings.
Upon arrival, I was greeted quickly, and received a room in the 2nd floor, 207. I asked if anything was available higher up, but they said it was all booked for several youth groups (uh oh!). One of the glass elevators wasn't working, but it didn't take too long to get to our room with our luggage.
Despite only being in the second floor, the view from our room was still beautiful. We could see the lights of Gatlinburg through several trees. If this had been summertime, we would have seen nothing but the leaves on the trees. It was winter, though, so the view was marvelous. I later spoke to someone who's room was on the 15th floor; they said they had the most terrible winds that shook their sliding door and kept them up all night. After that, I was very happy with my room.
The room had been redecorated recently, and was very pleasant. I wished they had taken another foot or two away from the room and added it to the bathroom, but we still had a king sized bed and a pull out sofa, along with a desk and amoire with a small t.v. One lamp didn't work, but there were three others so it was okay. The balcony was very basic, but it was enough to open the slider and look out. We also left our ice chest outside to keep stuff cool.
The pool area was clean, and my 5 year old loved it. She played in the kiddie pool for awhile, but then discovered that she was also tall enough for the pool next to it, so she also enjoyed the little waterfall from the pool above. My husband complained that the towels they provide are tiny. He wished he had brought his own.
My single biggest complaint about this hotel was the noise. You could literally hear someone sneeze next door. Any conversation in the hallway could be heard CLEARLY in the room. The door of each room opens up to one big common area (a.k.a sound chamber). Now, imagine 15 floors of teenagers, all yelling at each other over the interior corridor, and you can imagine the problems we had. At 1:30 one night, we were awoken to the most intense screaming, with my first thought being that the building was on fire! I went outside and found hundreds of teens hanging out, laughing and yelling at each other. I tried to call the front desk to see if anyone was doing anything to control the noise, but all I received was a busy signal. If this hadn't been our last night, I would have given up what we paid for this hotel and found something else.
I definitely do not intend to come back to this hotel. There are so many others in the area, with stream views and much less chance of being stuck with such terrible noise. I found out that this is a typical clientele for this hotel, so unless you have teens yourself and are mostly deaf, I do NOT recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank ih1dnk
Reviewed December 2, 2005

We decided fairly last minute to travel to Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving weekend. We normally stay in a cabin, but stayed at the Park Vista once before and while we didn't completely love it the first time, the views made up for that fact and that's why we chose it again.
The last time we stayed we noticed some minor things that needed attention; the walls looked dirty on the inside as you rode the elevator up, the room itself seemed a little dark and depressing, the pool area seemed overlooked and smelled so much like chlorine we could barely walk through it. This time we noticed most of those things had been fixed. The walls looked much better (this may sound silly, but it's one of the first things you notice about the hotel while on the elevators), the room was completely made over (we were on the same floor as before, so I'm assuming it's hotel-wide) with new art on the walls (botanical prints), checkered curtains and a more modern bathroom area (stocked with excellent coffee!). We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in, it was lovely! While we didn't swim this time (we spent our too short weekend hiking till we couldn't walk any longer) we did walk down to check it out and it looks fresher and smells much more inviting.
The woman who checked us in and out was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in how our stay went, no rushing about the process what so ever. The view from this hotel is of course the highlight and it didn't disappoint. Last time we had the mountain view, this time we had the city view, both on the 11th floor. The city view was just beautiful with the mountains behind all of the lights on the Parkway. It was chilly of course, but we were able to keep the sliding glass door open most of the time and it was wonderful. I cried, as I do every time we leave the Smoky Mountains, looking out at the city and mountains all covered with dew the morning we checked out. Another plus for us is the fact that the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail as well as the trail to Grotto Falls is on the road right past the hotel. I highly recommend the Roaring Fork Motor trail, it's a breathtaking experience!
All in all, we had an extremely positive experience at the Park Vista this time around and will never hesitate to stay there in the future or recommend it to our family and friends. I hope that these improvements continue as they have truly made quite a difference so far. I've attached views from our room : )

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank seatbythewindow
Reviewed November 27, 2005

We stayed at the Park Vista during Thanksgiving weekend. We arrived around 4:00pm on Thanksgiving day and it was very very crowded due to the hotel having Thanksgiving Day Dinner and a Family Reunion. The Hotel was very clean and neat. The only thing that bothered me was how slow they elevators were (2 out of 3 glass elevators were working), but of course with so many people that is to be expected. My Husband and I just decided to take the stairs from our 9th floor room. This is a wonderful hotel to stay at, if you don't mind it being away from town.

• Stayed: November 2005