“Pubic Hair...and dirty panties”

Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Pubic Hair...and dirty panties”
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We called a few days before arriving to confirm reservations. We asked if we could have a room on an upper level and told that would be "no problem". It apparently was a problem. We were given a room on the first floor with an awesome view of the loading zone and a glimpse of the mountains. At check-in I was told that there were NO other rooms available. This was around 3:45pm. We went up to the room and were immediately disappointed with the view. Upon further inspection we found a pubic hair on the bathtub, cigarette butts on the balcony and poop like stain on the bathroom floor.

We called the front desk to complain and again request a room change. We were told at this point that the only room available was the room next door. I asked what their refund policy was and they told me that if I wanted a refund, I would have to call Travelocity. I called Travelocity and explained the situation. They placed me on hold and called the hotel. The hotel told travelocity that they (the hotel) would find another room for us. Travelocity came back on the line and told me to call the front desk within 15 min and we would be moved to another room. We were satisfied with this and began to gather our stuff.

I called the front desk after about 10 min. The manager came on the line and told whom she thought was travelocity , but in fact was me, that there were NO other rooms available and that they would NOT be able to move "the guest". After informing her that she was speaking to "the guest", I asked about the room next door and was informed that that room was no longer available. I asked her to come to the room and see what we were upset about. She agreed to do so. In the meantime, I called Travelocity to inform them that they were not going to move us, request refund and find a different hotel. Travelocity puts me on hold again to call the hotel back. As I'm on hold, the manager arrives. We show her the view, she agrees that it's not ideal. We show her the cigarette butts and she said she would have housekeeping come clean the balcony. Then we proceed to the bathroom. We show her the pubic hair. She's upset about this, but makes the comment that it's probably from housekeeping. I dont understand what she meant by that and probably dont want to know. We then show her the stain on the floor, which to me looks like smeared poop. I didnt get close enough to actually see, but from the distance of about 4-5 ft...it looked like poop.

Well, after seeing all of that, suddenly a room on the 3rd floor comes available. The time is also getting late, and we're running out of options. We agree to moving to this room. The view wasnt stunning, but it was much improved. We gave a quick inspection. We didnt see any pubic hairs so we were good. Travelocity comes back on the line and says that they were not able to get anyone to answer their call back to the hotel. I explain what just transpired and thanked them for their help. Travelocity was very helpful.

We go and unpack a few things, get dressed and go out. We came back to the hotel and went to bed. Speaking of beds, if you LOVE SUPER SOFT BEDS, this place is for you. Personally, we thought they were awful. When we woke up and the covers were disheveled, we found a used ketchup packet, an empty soda bottle (not ours) and a pair of ladies panties (also, not ours). Upon this discovery, we were past our breaking point and left.

Recommendations for this hotel:
1. Better housekeeping staff and room inspections by mgt.
2. Better mattresses.
3. Honest employees.

Kudos to the manager though, she did try to help.

• Liked — They do allow pets
  • Disliked — Pubic hairs and dirty panties
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
11 Thank BarleyJack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
ws, nc
Reviewed November 20, 2008

The views are awesome. The pool is awesome. The hotel is older but average. The room was clean. The bathroom was super tiny. The balcony was covered in pigeon poop and we even had quite a few bird vistors. The beds were super soft.

The trolley comes right to the front door for travel downtown which is nice. The bar was good. The buffet was pretty bad. The food was cold. The waitresses were slow and every "clean" coffee cup had stains or something dried in there. The hotel staff in general was less then helpful. They seemed pissed off to be working. Hotel guests are bothersome. The gift shop is very tiny and the food items are way over priced.

I think I'll stay at another place next time that has an indoor pool. It will probably be about the same and less expensive.

• Liked — Swimming Pools
  • Disliked — Buffets/gift shop
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank wendyatjurney
athens tn
Reviewed November 14, 2008

This is a wonderful high class hotel with lovely mountain views, excellent food, and a wonderful pool.

• Liked — View of Gatlinburg
  • Disliked — This hotel can be expensive
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tennesseetrumpet
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We stayed at the Park Vista for the second time due to meeting being held here.
Had a room overlooking Gatlinburg and mountains-view was wonderful.
Room was clean. Bedding looked new. Lots of pillows. Bed was comfortable. I think that the rate should have been a little cheaper than $117 per night which was a convention rate.
The hotel is a little out of the way of the main Gatlinburg traffic, but we consider this ok -don't want to be on main street in Gatlinburg. We rode the trolley down into town for 50 cents per person. Or you can get a daily pass for $2 at the visitor's center. Be sure to check this out if you want to go down into Gatlinburg and you can even do a transfer and go into Pigeon Forge.
We ate the breakfast buffet and it was great. Ask for coupon at front desk if you did not get one on check-in and they will even give you more if you ask. Can't beat the price or the food. Will cook your eggs, waffles, pancakes to order at the breakfast buffet. Don't hesitate to try the buffet here before you try the other pancake houses around town.
There are a lot of previous negative comments about how old the place is. The floors in the elevator look a little worn and the carpet in hallways look worn. But our room was very adequate.

• Liked — The view from the hotel and the breakfast buffet at Eleanor's
  • Disliked — access to wireless internet cost an extra $10/day-we did not purchase and therefore did not have internet access. We always like this to research local restaurants and local activities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank maynardmac
redhatQM
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The view was fantasic, the hotel itself was OK, the food was good and things went downhill from there. Some of the women at the front desk were haughty. The AC/heater cycled on and off, on and off and kept us awake. The bed was awful!! My husband and I both had back pain. I never have a problem with my back, but after being home for 3 days, my back is still sore. My husband broke his back at work several years ago and has pain off and on. However, he finally put the ironing board between the mattress and box springs to make the bed more comfy. We left a day early because we couldn't take that bed another night. When we told the lady at the desk we were leaving early and explained why, she just said she was sorry about that.
Obviously, we won't ever go back there!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank redhatQM
Tennessee
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We just returned home and this was one of the best stays we've had in Gatlinburg. Park Vista was clean, friendly, and comfortable. Loved the Trolley service and not having to drive everywhere. We will return and recommend this place to family.

• Liked — Convenience and view
  • Disliked — Unruly children
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 13, 2008

After a day of hiking and sightseeing in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, my family and I drove into Gatlinburg, TN looking for dinner and a place to stay for the night. Driving around we saw Park Vista up on the mountain overlooking Gatlinburg. I told my husband we should check it out, for the view from up there had to be spectacular. We pulled up and I was impressed with Park Vista's beautiful and inviting lobby (the kids loved riding up in the glass elevators overlooking the atrium). We got a two-queen-bed room on the 14th floor overlooking Gatlinburg. The room was nicely decorated and up-to-date, and the bathroom was very clean. (And there were plenty of extra pillows--always appreciated when traveling with children!) My husband and I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and the view of Gatlinburg at night after the kids went to sleep.

We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and found that the food was good. Nothing fancy, but good for what we were looking for and convenient for our family. The breakfast buffet was $2.99 per kid not including drinks, which seemed like a good deal for a hotel restaurant. There was a breakfast buffet coupon included with our room when we checked in--$2 off per adult, so we took advantage of that as well.

The grounds around the hotel are beautifully landscaped and include a playground that our kids enjoyed. Overall we had a very positive experience and would recommend Park Vista to others. Just one thing I would warn about: the driveway up to the hotel is quite steep, so make sure your brakes are in good order!

• Liked — spectacular view
  • Disliked — steep incline to get to and from the hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family