“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Charleston, SC
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was a perfect getaway for us. We brought our sitter so she and our son slept in the bunk bed room with 1/2 bath. It was very dark which was perfect since, I think they slept later than they would have otherwise. My son LOVED the Wii and the fun chairs to sit in. He liked the pool but it was somewhat small though it was not crowded, I think b/c we were there during a quiet week.

We loved being able to take the trolley downtown and the views from our room were amazing.

The hotel is in definite need of TLC, and some extra furniture. The main bedroom was very spacious yet, there was no where to eat other than on the bed or floor since there was no coffee table or even a side table. We ate lunch there one day and the food was pretty good and fairly priced. Our sitter got room service a couple of times, which turned out to be usual room service prices....expensive.

Room Tip: Higher floors obviously have better views. We faced the mountains (vs downtown) and loved it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MelissaDJones, Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry we failed to meet your expectations with the room decor. We just went through an 11 million dollar two years ago and continue to make improvements every year. We hope this will not deter you from coming to see us again. We look forward to welcoming you back...

Director of Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Someone booked a room for PV with my HHonors points, through reservations center. When I come realize that my points were not registering as they should, I see an invoice in my HHonors profile. Considering that 30,000 points were missing from my acct I frantically open the invoice. It states one room was booked for one night for end of June 2013, and invoice amount paid was $20! Yes $20! I immediately call HHonors and explained my concerns, was told by staff that this was happening a lot lately , they apologized and asked me to pls hold so that they could note the account and credit my points back. I was put on hold, then out in the hold que again and then ultimately another rep picks up who didnt have a clue what was going on. She told me that the hotel had added discrepency notes to this stay. Then I contacted the hotel directly. I spoke with the front desk manager who is condescending, blatantly advised me that she didn't believe the story and didnt like the sound of it from the 'get go'. Advised she would look in to this matter but since things smelled fishy she wouldn't send ok to HHonors to credit back my points. She goes on to tell me that she spoke with the person who checked in, checked the ID. When I ? if they had a copy of the ID and how someone could have an ID with my information she then gave a different story stating she didnt check it but was 'so leary' that she made sure she witnessed the mystery person as they arrived to have key reactivated the next day. I live in a different state, and havent been to TN since my marriage. It is now almost a month later and still going back and forth with PV staff. There was no credit card used or presented either, per Front Desk Manager.
************************************************************************************************************************

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank M E
MelissaDJones, Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hello,

I apologize for all this confusion. I have my Front Office Team looking into this matter. If you could please email me your email address, so I can get back to you with our findings.

Kind regards,

mjones@parkvista.com
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is located in very good location in regards to park access. If you do not want to stay in the only lodge within the park, doubletree Hilton is the choice. We booked the weekend of the 4th July from 6 months ago. The king bed standard room is spacious with updated decor.
Two areas can be improved: elevator replacement ( too slow) and room A/C system ( not comfortable and got a cold eventually)

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lovenys
I am so sorry you had a problem with the noise from the AC and the elevator while staying with us. Our engineers are actively searching for a solution to cut down on the noise but I am still sorry you had to experience these problems while you were with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your time away from home despite the few issued mentioned. We hope you stay with us again during your next trip to Gatlinburg.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed 8 days at the Park Vista. I did not have a good impression from Heather at the front desk at check in. She was somewhat rude and seemed annoyed at our questions. The lady who manages the restaurant was very nice and helpful all week long and accomodated us each day, I can't remember her name but she deserves mention. The hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. The pool was fun for the kids although the clorine smell was a bit much... The views from the rooms are nice and the trolley takes you into town so you don't have to drive if you don't want to. I would have rated this place higher if we didn't have the encounter with Heather at the front desk. Other than that, we had a nice stay but will stay elsewhere next visit.

Room Tip: You can choose city or mountain views. They charge extra for advance choice so I would just see wha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank adiazfamily1
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry you had a problem with our front desk staff, I sincerely apologize and have passed along your comment to the Front Office Manager. Thank you for your compliments on the restaurant, I will share your comments with the staff. We hope to see you again.

Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My boyfriend booked this place because he got a good deal on hotels.com. We were expecting something nice, but not as amazing as what we got! The hotel is awesome, it sits on top of the city and you can see it from the street almost anywhere you are in Gatlinburg. We were big fans of the breathtaking view of the mountains from our balcony.

The road to get to the place is winding and steep, but secluded. The only downside to that is you can't really walk down it to get downtown unless you want to get killed on the twisty road. We had no issue driving and finding places to park that were cheap or willing to validate, however and the hotel has a trolley service. We actually enjoyed being off of the main drag- quieter and more secluded is better in our opinions.

The inside of the hotel is beautiful as well. It's a cylinder with 14 stories and the lobby in the center. Very cool. The pool was amazing- it included a water slide that we used along with the kids staying there. The guest rooms themselves were very clean and seemed recently updated. We had a bit of an issue with our shower- the nozzle wasn't really in the wall right, but the staff fixed it without a fuss when we called. Everyone was polite and helpful, even though the hotel was busy as the weekend approached.

The only complaint we had about this place (and it's a small one)- there's no free wi fi in the guest rooms unless you're a loyalty member. We used our smart phones or went down to the lobby where the internet is free, however, so it wasn't really an issue. We were honestly so busy with things to do in the area, we didn't miss the internet much.

Overall great stay! Would stay again in a heartbeat, especially for the price we got the room for!

Room Tip: Get a room toward the top if you're not afraid of heights :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krista D
Thank you for your wonderful review for our future guests. We really appreciate the feedback. We look forward to a future stay.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at The Park VIsta. It is off the main strip, which is what we wanted and the views from our balcony were awesome. It is very close to the entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and not far from the main street where all the action is. There is a trolley that comes every 30 minutes to take you to and from the main street and it only costs .50 each way. We paid extra for a mountain view room and when we checked in our view was of the loading dock. We told the front desk and they quickly found us a better view. The staff was friendly although many of them were from other countries which I found strange for a hotel in Gatlinburg, TN. I have seen some reviews complaining about internet charges, but if you have ATT or are a hilton honors member it's free.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

A great choice of hotel for our 34th anniversary get-away returning to this hotel from a few years ago. The hotel and been very nicely maintained and redecorated in the lobbies and in the rooms. Beautiful view of both Gatlinburg and the mountains from our 11th floor room. Balcony was a little small, but a nice place to stand, drink morning coffee or afternoon cocktails, and enjoy the view. Comfortable bed, well-stocked bath linens and toiletries, beautiful regional photographs on our room walls, and nice desk and small sofa sitting area with ottomans. Room service for breakfast was punctual and generous with our selection portions. We enjoyed riding the Green trolley route from the hotel front door for $1 round-trip to the downtown for dinner and back up the hill. A great place for a romantic anniversary celebration.

Room Tip: Our view of both city and mountains in room 1109, almost middle of the circle, was an excellent vist...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tennessean2
Thank you for your wonderful review for our future guests. I am so glad you celebrated your anniversary with us and you had a perfect romantic getaway. We really appreciate the feedback. We look forward to a future stay!