“Poor management reflected by staff actions and attitude”

Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed November 30, 2012

It is a real shame. This is a beautiful location and a nice facility, but it is very poorly managed. I have stayed here numerous times. This week my wife's agency has its employees attending mandatory training there all week. During lunch on Wednesday, my wife was served some tough, gristly beef. She had just decided she would have to skip lunch when she became choked. As she was passing out, one of her co-workers performed the Heimlich and saved her life. This was in the main dining area. Staff saw it occur. No one with the hotel has ever checked on her or said anything about the incident. I am at the other end of the state. I sent flowers to her. Staff could not take them into her class at 3:30, so they said they would take them to her room where she would see them when she got out at 4:30. They did not. They left the flowers sitting somewhere until after 5:30. Meanwhile My wife had come and gone as some co-workers took her out that evening for shopping to cheer her up. When I complained, the desk manager said she would comp my wife a breakfast for the next morning. The next morning the desk told my wife she was lying, that there was no record of any comp for her. When I called to check on this, the employee who was supposed to have issued the comp was snarky in tone with me. She said she would issue my wife a $25 gift certificate to the gift shop. When my wife came to the desk, she issued her a $20 gift certificate instead, and was snarky in tone with her, acting like she was looking for a handout. Most places would have been checking on my wife's health and emotions, most out of professionalism, the others out of trying to avoid a lawsuit. Not the Park Vista. Their response was a mix of ignoring, neglecting,passive agression, and lying. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that the manager was on vacation this week and unavailable. When my wife asked to speak to one, she was told that he was tied up in an appointment with the auditors. I will never recommend this hotel to my friends again, which is a real shame, as it is a nice property in a great location, just suffering for poor management.

9  Thank swedoamerican
Taryn B, Guest Relations Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. It is very unusual that anyone of our staff members is rude to our guests and I can assure you that I have spoken to the front desk staff regarding your comments. Our main priority is for all our guests to feel welcome during their stay and leave satisfied. We apologize for the proplems you experienced as we did not know about your wifes food problem. Again, please accept my apologies and I hope that you will consider staying with us again..

There are newer reviews for Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg

Reviewed November 29, 2012

My daughter and I spent Thanksgiving at the Park Vista, and we enjoyed the wonderful holiday buffet. The mountain view from our room was wonderful, and the location was convenient to everything. We had room service a couple of times, ate in the Firefly Lounge, and I even managed a few minutes by the fire pit. However, people seemed to stay camped out by it, so it wasn't easy to get near it. I would recommend at least two more fire pits to accommodate more guests. Overall, I would go back, and it was definitely worth the money!

Room Tip: I was on the 12th floor, mountain view, near the elevator. I found it quiet, with an awesome view.
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have stayed at countless Hilton properties, have visited this facility 4 times in past 3 years and had wonderful experiences up until last week. I don't nickel and dime people and expect the same courtesy. As Hilton member I was first charged for internet service in room, which was ridiculous, please don't nickel and dime me on a $275 a night room. When I was a breakfast voucher for one of my children I had been promised in my booking conversation, I requested these - as an aside, the kid is 8 years old and eats practically nothing and the breakfasts cost $5 - so this should not have been a big deal. I was told no by front desk clerk and the manager - based on what the computer had on it. You know what, I don't care what the computer says, I was told I would have breakfasts for all my kids. On principle when I explained what I had been told upon booking - again I was told that is not what computer says and refusal to budge and made to feel like like a liar. Terrible terrible management and customer service, I will tell all I see and talk to please avoid this hotel, very poor customer service and lack of trust in long term customers who have spent a fortune at this place. Absolutely ridiculous, save yourself a bad experience and stay elsewhere in Gatlinburg. There are plenty of hotels who will treat their customers with dignity and respect for their loyalty and patronage and know the meaning of good customer service. I find it mind-boggling that Hilton would train their managers to take such a short-sighted view of dealing with a good customer who has spent a fortune at their properties... over $15?? I think that attitude speaks volumes of their philosophy on what their customers mean to them. I got the message Doubletree Gatlinburg and I'll take my business elsewhere and I encourage others to do the same!!

11  Thank NashBiz
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed for a week (Monday-Friday) for a business conference. The rooms were clean and adequately supplied. Housekeeping was great! We stayed on the 11th floor and enjoyed our stay but I have two issues. First the parking is terrible! It was a huge conference so I expected the parking situation to be bad but if I were a regular guest on vacation I would be disappointed about having to hike in the freezing cold to the hotel. My second issue is with the wifi..they charge $10 for 24 hour access. If your staying four nights thats an additional $40. It is ridiculous to ask people to pay a fee when the room itself is $150+ per night! Oh and yes they have the trolley but their hours vary..for example in November the trolley stops at 6pm so be prepared.

Nice hotel with amenities but not worth the price. There are better hotels at cheaper prices in Gatlinburg area.

1  Thank bsnurse
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The family suite with a separate room with two bunk beds, was awesome, although it's a little deceiving in the description. I though it was more of a condo-like set-up with a den and two bedrooms. there is a small sitting area (one chair) off the side of the king-sized bed, and the bunk beds were in a separate attached bedroom. It's still worked very well for us. I was a little disappointed there was no microwave in the room. I don't recall ever staying anywhere that had a fridge, but no microwave. They kept a community microwave in front of the elevators one each floor, so that worked fine, as we were only a few steps away. We were there for 5 nights and we really enjoyed the location, the awesome waterpark/pool (I had my wife and 3 sons, ages 6, 4, and 2) and again, the available 2nd room with bunk beds. The hotel restaurant was also great as far as food was concerned, although the waits staff lacked in experience, I believe. It was a busy week Thanksgiving), but they were either inexperienced or understaffed. we had to track down help on a few occasions. Overall a great experience though for the hotel.

Room Tip: If you have kids, this is the place to stay!
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, this was our fourth stay over the last few years.i ha requested a king city view but was told once I got there that that was only available on the 4th floor unless I paid an extra $30.00 even though I booked the room ahead of time through Doubletree. The pool was cold and the hot tub too hot but the area was clean. The heat would not come on but eventually started working, the best part of the stay was the campfire area outside of the lounge. Even with the problems it was a good stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel is nice, but everything is overpriced. They do have you as a captive audience, as you have to drive to go anywhere. It is very secluded and you can't walk to any where from the hotel. And I might also add that you have to drive down a very steep and windy road. I would not want to stay there if the temp was below freezing because the road would be dangerous. They charge you $9.95 a day for internet service in your room, which is crazy! I drove past hundreds of hotels on the way to the Park Vista with signs that said free internet. You can get free internet in the lobby, but who wants to sit in the lobby all the time? Oh, and breakfast buffet is $12.00, not including drink, tip, etc. As I said, they have you as a captive audience unless you want to drive somewhere. I wouldn't stay there again.

6  Thank Sebow