“Poor customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Nashville
“Poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have stayed at countless Hilton properties, have visited this facility 4 times in past 3 years and had wonderful experiences up until last week. I don't nickel and dime people and expect the same courtesy. As Hilton member I was first charged for internet service in room, which was ridiculous, please don't nickel and dime me on a $275 a night room. When I was a breakfast voucher for one of my children I had been promised in my booking conversation, I requested these - as an aside, the kid is 8 years old and eats practically nothing and the breakfasts cost $5 - so this should not have been a big deal. I was told no by front desk clerk and the manager - based on what the computer had on it. You know what, I don't care what the computer says, I was told I would have breakfasts for all my kids. On principle when I explained what I had been told upon booking - again I was told that is not what computer says and refusal to budge and made to feel like like a liar. Terrible terrible management and customer service, I will tell all I see and talk to please avoid this hotel, very poor customer service and lack of trust in long term customers who have spent a fortune at this place. Absolutely ridiculous, save yourself a bad experience and stay elsewhere in Gatlinburg. There are plenty of hotels who will treat their customers with dignity and respect for their loyalty and patronage and know the meaning of good customer service. I find it mind-boggling that Hilton would train their managers to take such a short-sighted view of dealing with a good customer who has spent a fortune at their properties... over $15?? I think that attitude speaks volumes of their philosophy on what their customers mean to them. I got the message Doubletree Gatlinburg and I'll take my business elsewhere and I encourage others to do the same!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank NashBiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Jonesborough, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed for a week (Monday-Friday) for a business conference. The rooms were clean and adequately supplied. Housekeeping was great! We stayed on the 11th floor and enjoyed our stay but I have two issues. First the parking is terrible! It was a huge conference so I expected the parking situation to be bad but if I were a regular guest on vacation I would be disappointed about having to hike in the freezing cold to the hotel. My second issue is with the wifi..they charge $10 for 24 hour access. If your staying four nights thats an additional $40. It is ridiculous to ask people to pay a fee when the room itself is $150+ per night! Oh and yes they have the trolley but their hours vary..for example in November the trolley stops at 6pm so be prepared.

Nice hotel with amenities but not worth the price. There are better hotels at cheaper prices in Gatlinburg area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bsnurse
Zachary, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

The family suite with a separate room with two bunk beds, was awesome, although it's a little deceiving in the description. I though it was more of a condo-like set-up with a den and two bedrooms. there is a small sitting area (one chair) off the side of the king-sized bed, and the bunk beds were in a separate attached bedroom. It's still worked very well for us. I was a little disappointed there was no microwave in the room. I don't recall ever staying anywhere that had a fridge, but no microwave. They kept a community microwave in front of the elevators one each floor, so that worked fine, as we were only a few steps away. We were there for 5 nights and we really enjoyed the location, the awesome waterpark/pool (I had my wife and 3 sons, ages 6, 4, and 2) and again, the available 2nd room with bunk beds. The hotel restaurant was also great as far as food was concerned, although the waits staff lacked in experience, I believe. It was a busy week Thanksgiving), but they were either inexperienced or understaffed. we had to track down help on a few occasions. Overall a great experience though for the hotel.

Room Tip: If you have kids, this is the place to stay!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, this was our fourth stay over the last few years.i ha requested a king city view but was told once I got there that that was only available on the 4th floor unless I paid an extra $30.00 even though I booked the room ahead of time through Doubletree. The pool was cold and the hot tub too hot but the area was clean. The heat would not come on but eventually started working, the best part of the stay was the campfire area outside of the lounge. Even with the problems it was a good stay and would recommend to others.

Cookeville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel is nice, but everything is overpriced. They do have you as a captive audience, as you have to drive to go anywhere. It is very secluded and you can't walk to any where from the hotel. And I might also add that you have to drive down a very steep and windy road. I would not want to stay there if the temp was below freezing because the road would be dangerous. They charge you $9.95 a day for internet service in your room, which is crazy! I drove past hundreds of hotels on the way to the Park Vista with signs that said free internet. You can get free internet in the lobby, but who wants to sit in the lobby all the time? Oh, and breakfast buffet is $12.00, not including drink, tip, etc. As I said, they have you as a captive audience unless you want to drive somewhere. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Sebow
Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I want out here just to get away for the weekend. This was the perfect get away, and will be going back. The staff was friendly, the place was very clean, and the view from our room was awesome.

Marathon, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

The good...
The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms are beautiful and the views are great. They have an outdoor fire pit that especially nice in the cool evenings, a bar and a very nice lobby area. The staff was super nice and helpful. You get a free cookie at check in which was very tasty. There is a restaraunt on the ground floor as well but I did not try that. They have super nice ball rooms and if you are putting a presentation or needing a room for an event, this would be a top notch choice. There is a Trolley to town that makes its way to the hotel every 30-45 minutes and it beats driving anyday of the week. The shuttle costs $.50 each ride or you can get a day pass for like $2.00. Crazy cheap!!! You can do a trolley switch and it will take you all he way to Pigeon Forge and back you never have to wrorry about parking. The rooms are very nice. Bathrooms are nice and the beds are amazing. Large Flat screen TV's, Nice dressers, refriderators, desk, and just has a real comfy cozy feel to it. The maid staff was tremendous! There is a very nice bird house on the ground floor as well with some little cute birds that are very relaxing if you have time to sit and enjoy them I would highly recommend.

I can't comment on pool as I didn't see it or visit it but I do know they haven't bought a hot tub!!!

The bad...
This list is short, only a few things, but they are important to most of us travelers.

1st and foremost is that it is currently 2012, on the verge of 2013 and they still charge for in room wi-fi...SERIOUSLY??? Its $10.00 PER DEVICE. They offer it for free as well as computer for use in the lobby but who wants to go to the lobby each time you want to get on the net. Very frustrating and you could hear comments being made from all the guests.

2nd, is there are no free continental breakfasts. You can pay $10.00 for breakfast but a free donut is out of the question. Most people don't want a big breakfast before a day of looking around and shopping but a coffee and pastry would hit the spot. Again lots of negative comments from guests rumbled around.

3rd, the air conditioning in the room is loud, and you can't turn it off. I went to the wall switch and turned it off but it still "cycled" about evey 5 minutes. ITs so loud that you could not even hear the TV when it was on. It cooled and heated fine but would love to have slept in peace and quite rather than this diesel engine cranking up all night.

4th, staying on the 15th floor, one night the wind was high and the trash shoot roof flap was banging like crazy. After a few hours I had to call the front desk and the sent folks up who pretty much thought I was crazy because of course it had stopped. They tried to tell me what I was hearing and they were so far out in left field it was crazy and all of a sudden they got to hear it and they were even shocked. I guess they went on the roof and fixed it or the wind finally died down enough for it to stop and luckily it was only the one night.

5th, NO HOT TUB!!!!

Tip - I went down to Pigeon Forge to Food City and purchased drinks and food for our stay as to save money from the hotel.

1 Thank Jhw349