“Convenient, Quiet and beautiful!”

Review of Passion Flower

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

RSP G
“Beware...”
Reviewed April 8, 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

This cabin is beautiful however the mice in the cabin were not! I am not an unreasonable person and I understand this cabin is in the woods and creatures are bound to make their way indoors. The problem was the fact that in order to not have to stay in the same cabin with mice we had to pay an extra $150 a night to move cabins. I have stayed in several cabins within the Gatlinburg area and have never had issues like I did with this company. I am very disappointed that they don't have things in place to deal with situations like this besides charging the client an arm and a leg to move into something mice free.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Apr 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay in our Passion Flower. I apologize for any problems you experienced during your stay. When you contacted us about concerns with the chalet we gave you the option of moving to the same size chalet at no additional cost to you, however you requested one of our 4 bedroom plus theater chalets that rents for $289 per night plus tax and agreed to pay the additional cost.
All of our cabins are treated monthly for pest control. After you vacated Passion Flower we had them come out for a complete inspection and they found no evidence of mice or any other pest. We have had 5 different guest stay at Passion Flower after your departure and no one has had a problem with pest. We are glad to hear that you thought the cabin was beautiful and would like to once again thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay.
CT
Reviewed July 10, 2012 for a stay in July 2012

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway
tripledip...
Houston, Texas
“Very disappointing rental”
Reviewed November 24, 2011 for a stay in October 2011
people found this review helpful

I wanted so badly to love this cabin. We had had a stressful summer in Houston with the record-breaking heat and drought, and over-the-top job stress, and we really needed a quiet, peaceful, comfortable vacation. This was our fourth trip to Gatlinburg, the fall foliage was at or near peak during our stay, and overall we had a great trip. The only thing we did not like on the trip was our lodging.

First, the good. The cabin is indeed attractive, light and bright with large windows as the photos show, and the rooms are large and spacious. The giant screen television in the living room worked great, and was a novelty for two people who watch a standard 36-inch set at home. The view off the back balcony was lovely, with mountains and trees in beautiful fall colors. The property was in overall good shape. Having a full-sized washer and dryer was great, and they seemed pretty new and worked well. The wireless Internet connection worked fine, enabling us to keep up with email and news. There were plenty of towels, and the place was generally clean.

However, it was an uncomfortable, poorly equipped, inconvenient house. There was not one stick of comfortable furniture in the house, unless you count the hard wooden chairs at the dining table. The couches sagged, the upstairs bed had a thin, saggy, bouncy mattress and old flat uncomfortable pillows, and the sofa bed was horrible - the mattress looked about 60 years old. There is no bathroom, not even a toilet, on the main level, which necessitated going up or down a flight of stairs many times a day to go to the bathroom, brush teeth, put on makeup, change shoes, etc.

We had rented a two-bedroom unit because my husband has restless leg syndrome and I often have to get up at night and go to another bedroom. Unfortunately, I spent a lot of this vacation sleeping on the saggy couch, because the entire lower level reeked of a dreadful odor that I can only describe as "wet dirty dog." In all fairness, we did call the property manager regarding this so we would not be charged for having brought a pet and contributing to this odor, and he did kindly offer to come investigate and try to deal with it. But in my experience, a smell that bad is only going to go away with replacing the carpet and airing out the place for days. We would have tried airing it out ourselves, but we could not open a single window in the house because there are no window screens on any of the windows, and we did not fancy sharing the house with mosquitoes, bees, and wasps.

So many "basics" were missing in this rental home. There was no hair dryer in either bathroom, necessitating my purchasing one at the local Wal-Mart. The kitchen had no garbage disposal, and although an iron was provided, there was no ironing board. The kitchen had the usual grubby skillet that had to be scrubbed heartily before it was sanitary enough to use, and the utensils, also grubby with caked on food, had to be scrubbed before using as well. There were NO cleaning supplies, not even a spray bottle of Windex, and so off to Wal-Mart again for scrub sponges. The silverware drawer was full of crumbs and had to be washed, etc., etc. You get the picture. We left this kitchen much cleaner than we found it. There were also no extra blankets or quilts in the place.

The rest of the house was pretty clean, but there were lots of cobwebs in corners and windows, and the front porch was covered with them. I removed as many as I could, but it was still pretty creepy. The house was so dark inside that I dreaded night time. At least a third of the light bulbs in the lamps and lighting fixtures were burned out, including the one overhead light fixture in the main living area, which had 3 out of 4 bulbs out. We would have gone to Wal-Mart again and bought replacement bulbs, but the overhead light was about 15 feet from the floor, and there was no ladder. All of the lamps had tiny bulbs, and only by turning on every light in the place was I able to read at night, and get around without bumping into something.

The balcony had, as I wrote, a great view. However, it overlooks the main highway into Gatlinburg below. Because of the trees you cannot see the highway, but you can certainly hear it, with pretty much nonstop cars, whining diesel trucks, and sputtering motorcycles; it is about as quiet and restful as a house next to the freeway. Also, the cabin is not secluded, which the photos might suggest; there is another cabin less than 60 feet away. There were a couple of days of rainstorms while we were there, and the booming of heavy rain and scratching of tree branches on the metal roof kept us awake at night; it sounded like a hurricane.

We never utilized the fireplace, the large attractive bathtubs, or the outdoor hot tub, so I cannot comment on these. We also did not utilize the enormous pool table, which completely occupies what was obviously designed as the dining room, except to set purses and cameras on it when we came in.

I won’t say that this rental ruined our vacation. We had a great time in the area, going to shows and attractions and shopping and eating great food, and especially spending time in the park, with its beautiful fall foliage, wildlife, and sweeping vistas. But our lodging detracted from our trip, rather than enhancing it. It was not a cheap rental during peak season, and I felt that for the money, we should have had a much more comfortable, clean, quiet, secluded, and pleasant-smelling house.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Views, attractive house, TV, W/D
Liked least: Furniture, dark, odor, traffic noise, no bathroom main level
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you for your comments we are happy to hear you had a great time. We apologize for any inconvenience.In regards to how the chalet is equipped the photo's on our website show the actual furnishings in the house. We have checked all the furniture to make sure nothing is broken. The bedroom mattresses were replaced last year. The couch has a queen sleeper sofa and is as nice as you can purchase, however it is not going to be as comfortable as a king size bed. Regarding the possibility of an odor the chalets are always cleaned after each guest departs and we make sure all carpets are deodorized.. At this point there is no odor and we have had no reports of odor problems since your stay, however we will continue to monitor the chalet. Each guest receives a list prior to arrival of the items the chalet is stocked with and a list of things you might wish to bring if you are going to require them during your stay. We will perform a kitchen assessment right away and replace any worn or damaged cookware. Passion Flower is the last chalet on a dead end road and the nearest cabin is over 100 feet away through the trees. There is no through traffic at this chalet so I'm not sure what road noise you could have heard. Sorry to hear that you had trouble sleeping because of the rain. We had our maintenance staff check to make sure no tree limbs that could cause noise were touching the chalet. Again thank you for your review and we are sorry you experienced any problems at all. Had we known about the problems during your stay we would have immediately had someone come out and remedy the situation. We appreciate your understanding and hope you visit us again soon.
La.
Reviewed October 29, 2010 for a stay in October 2010

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing