“Don't go there!”

About You Salon & Day Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are a full service AVEDA Salon, Spa and Chiropractic. Located in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We offer Bridal services, hair cuts, color, blowout, Massage therapy, Skincare, Chiropractic and much more. You can visit our website to view entire service menu.
Walkertown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Don't go there!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I called around Gatlinburg back in August to schedule a time for me and a group of 6 girls to get manicures and pedicures for my wedding in October. We all live out of town, but I was recommended by another nail salon to call All About You Salon and Day Spa to accommodate a party of our size. I made reservations, and paid half for a deposit. It is quite expensive- $45 for a manicure and $55 for a pedicure, but that's to be expected from an Aveda salon. When we got there, we were seated upstairs in a waiting room together. They called two of us back to begin manicures and pedicures and the room only had two stations for manicures and two stations for pedicures. Not quite enough to accommodate 7 girls (and they only had two girls working with our group). While they started working on the first two, the rest of the girls sat in the waiting room. I was a little annoyed at this because the whole reason I chose this salon was so we could all be together while getting our manicures and pedicures. After a while, I simply asked the two girls working if the rest of the girls could come back and sit with us while they waited. With their only being two seats for manicures and two seats for pedicures, you can imagine it was pretty crowded, and awkward for us all to be back there, but we made it work. As far as the manicures and pedicures... AWFUL!! Seriously, a child could have done a better job painting my nails. Even my toe nails were chipping later that night, which I was told is due to old polish. Also, I asked the girl doing my nails if she could do the gel polish, and with kind of an attitude, said "hold on, let me go check." Up and left for at least 20 minutes, then came back and told me she couldn't because it would take too long- another 15 minutes. All of my girls were displeased with their nails as well. The pedicures were hardly that, more of just a polish. They did not massage, nor scrub the dead skin off. This salon is a disgrace to the Aveda reputation. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Alison E

Upper Sandusky, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“If you must choose this salon ask for Michaela!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My daughters wedding was yesterday, we chose this salon because of the reputation of an aveda salon. We all waited at least an hour past our appointment time for starters, second the stylist that did one of my daughters hair continued to talk snotty and roll her eyes when I asked for her to pin a couple spots that was sticking out, I really believe it gives aveda a bad reputation, I gave this salon over $400 and only 2 of the girls I could recommend Leah and again michaela. I hope this heps someone choosing the salon for their wedding, on the upside my daughter the brides hair was gorgeous! Overpriced and snotty stylists!

Visited September 2012
5 Thank Corky32
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ugh!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Not happy at all with my experience here. I was quoted 25.00 for a blow out (which I had to explain to them what is was-seriously?) I told them I had very long, very thick hair. They said 25.00. Great! I am used to paying more for a blow out but if that is what they insist the charge is......I get there and they kept me waiting 45 minutes for my appointment (no apology for the wait). The woman at the register made a comment about my hair in the vein of--"you have a lot of hair"- said with a frown and a snarl. What's that all about? The girl who did my blow out did not comb my very long, thick hair before wetting it and putting shampoo on it and it ended up tangling. She acted like it was a big pain in the butt that she had to comb out the snares. Except she used a brush to comb out the tangles and it hurt. A lot! The whole time she made me feel bad that my hair was tangled. Then she told me how dry my hair was. None of this was said kindly. Kind of of accusatory. All said with a frown and exasperated tone. Then she burned my scalp with a too hot blow dryer---ouch! and hey I have really dry hair remember? why use the intense heat? Then she said I really needed such and such treatments and blah, blah, blah! More things to make me feel uncomfortable. Like I was the biggest pain in the butt that they had to blow dry my hair. I go to check out and the charge was 45.00!!! Wait..I was told 25.00 and they laughed and laughed and said...."oh, the 25.00 is in there somewhere!" Their exact words. Awesome. My hair felt awful--I think the girl used thickener in my very thick hair and it gave my hair way too much texture. And it was frizzy, too. Awesome. Bottom line...stay away from this very unfriendly, untrained place.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank belleresa
Leavenworth, Kansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Massage was great but well short of time limit”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Background: 90-minute couples massage. We arrived 30 minutes early due to paperwork we knew we would have to fill out. There was a digital clock in the room so we used this to track our timing. We were brought into the room five minutes prior and were ready within two minutes. However they did not arrive until five minutes after our massage was supposed to begin. Then they finished with ten minutes to spare in our massage. That said the massage was terrific, but paying their price for a couples massage (2x massages) where we were both shorted 15 minutes (30 minutes total) is totally unacceptable. It was the end of the day and the two masseuses implied that they were tired and would have to adjust their techniques to get through a 90 minute deep tissue massage. If this is the case then I would suggest that they adjust their policies to compensate for this vs. schedule this type of work and fail to fulfill their obligations. I believe it is unacceptable to pay for a 90 minute massage and only get 75 minutes (x2 in our case). Due to this time shortage, a 5-star massage was reduced to 2-stars for the reasons stated above.
Sustain: The massage was excellent.
Improve: Their ability to tell time.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank James S
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very nice stylist, but a bit underwhelming for the price....”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I had a bridal package appointment for my wedding. The package was a spa manicure, spa pedicure, hair style, and makeup application. The manicure was the fastest, most basic manicure that I have ever received at a salon. The pedicure was done in a tub with hot water, not in a typical pedicure chair. I was OK with that, but the pedicure was also the most basic pedicure that I have ever received by a professional. Both of them combined took only about a half an hour. Very underwhelming for the price. I had the same stylist for my entire package. She was very nice, talkative and a good hair stylist. My hair was beautiful. It was not a very complicated style though, (my hair was down, curled, with a little up on the sides for my blusher veil) so I have no idea if she would be as good with a complicated, bridal updo. The makeup application was pretty good, not fantastic, but OK. The makeup that they use on the customers is not new (it has been used before on other customers), so if that bothers you, don't have your makeup applied here. My stylist went very heavy with the eyeliner. I had to fix it myself after I left the salon. Everything else with the makeup application was OK, and it did last throughout the day. I bought some lipstick from the salon, so I would have touch-up applications. Don't ask for a sample....the sample they give you is ridiculous. It is one application, if that. You are better off buying the lipstick, if you like it. They have Aveda makeup in the salon, so the quality of the product is good. All in all, for the price that I paid for the package, I thought it was just kind of average, and the mani/pedi was underwhelming. If I had to do it all over again, I would have my mani/pedi done before I left for my wedding, and I would have just had my hair styled here. The Salon is good, but the Spa, not so much.

Visited February 2012