“Stopped by for a tasting”

Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine
Ranked #14 of 119 things to do in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Ole Smoky is the first federally licensed moonshine distillery in the state of Tennessee. A visit to Ole Smoky is the true moonshine experience. As you approach the entrance, you can detect the distinct smell of our grains cooking and fermenting. You'll see authentic working moonshine stills and experience the process from beginning to end. Our distillers will take the time to visit with you and answer any questions about the history and lore of moonshining in East Tennessee.After you see, smell and hear about the process, we offer tastings of our Award winning shine! Samples of our Original Unaged Corn Whiskey, White Lightnin' and Moonshine Cherries as well as Apple Pie and Blackberry flavors - plus we offer seasonal and special flavors that aren't available in package stores. And of course, you'll be able to buy plenty of moonshine and Ole Smoky merchandise to take home with you.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time ever tasting moonshine.com and I have to tell you it was a truly an experience I won't forget. The young lady started off with the flavors first:peach,blackberry,apple pie,starwberry to name a few, when she got to the 100% proof, my chest was burning and the flavor was way to strong for my taste. Overall I had a great time, a small buzz and a good experience.

1  Thank LILMAMA35
Write a ReviewReviews (6,824)
All reviews
in 66 reviews
"tasting"
in 1,558 reviews

Reviewed March 16, 2013

You park behind it or under it for $5. Walk up stairs to an open air shop area with bluegrass being played live onstage. You can smell the mash fermenting and you can see the actual stills at work making their yummy shine. When you go into the shop, they have free tastings of everything and all the staff are friendly, fun, & knowledgable. Make sure to bring dollar bills or coins for tipping the staff, but you can come back and do another tasting later. They don't care and are really fun and nice about everything. We bought blackberry, blueberry, and strawberry moonshine. So yummy! Not a kids place at all or for the weak. But we were there for the experience and loved it so much we came back into Gatlinburg for another visit. Great place! And a definite must do if you visit the area!

1  Thank AMetzger02
Reviewed March 16, 2013

i really enjoyed the overall look and feel to the place. Unfortunately, I went on a Sunday - so I was unable to purchase any to take home, but they did have samples that I tried. I only gave it 3 stars due to the price of the shine (had I been able to buy it). Its not full strength "white lightning" moonshine, but the cost is. My fave was the blackberry shine. I could see this stuff being dangerous (tastes like candy - but lights you up). As you can see, I had a little Captain in me that day.

Its something to do - and its on the strip so its not like you have to go out of your way to find it. I'd recommend seeing it once. I did notice that the town liquor stores had the shine for sale too, but at a slightly raised price.

1  Thank TracyP5
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I had 5 teenagers so they wanted to go to the distillery. After going to others it was definitely a let down. Good tasting of food and drinks!

1  Thank Brandi B