“For those who enjoy shine”

Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine
Day Tour: Moonshine and Wine Tasting from Gatlinburg
Ranked #4 of 113 things to do in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Ole Smoky is the first federally licensed moonshine distillery in the state of Tennessee. A visit to Ole Smoky is the true moonshine experience. As you approach the entrance, you can detect the distinct smell of our grains cooking and fermenting. You'll see authentic working moonshine stills and experience the process from beginning to end. Our distillers will take the time to visit with you and answer any questions about the history and lore of moonshining in East Tennessee.After you see, smell and hear about the process, we offer tastings of our Award winning shine! Samples of our Original Unaged Corn Whiskey, White Lightnin' and Moonshine Cherries as well as Apple Pie and Blackberry flavors - plus we offer seasonal and special flavors that aren't available in package stores. And of course, you'll be able to buy plenty of moonshine and Ole Smoky merchandise to take home with you.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 16, 2013

i really enjoyed the overall look and feel to the place. Unfortunately, I went on a Sunday - so I was unable to purchase any to take home, but they did have samples that I tried. I only gave it 3 stars due to the price of the shine (had I been able to buy it). Its not full strength "white lightning" moonshine, but the cost is. My fave was the blackberry shine. I could see this stuff being dangerous (tastes like candy - but lights you up). As you can see, I had a little Captain in me that day.

Its something to do - and its on the strip so its not like you have to go out of your way to find it. I'd recommend seeing it once. I did notice that the town liquor stores had the shine for sale too, but at a slightly raised price.

1  Thank TracyP5
Write a ReviewReviews (6,150)

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I had 5 teenagers so they wanted to go to the distillery. After going to others it was definitely a let down. Good tasting of food and drinks!

1  Thank bbarthels
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is great, and if you are tiny like me you can get a nice buzz! Moonshine tasting is available. You get all flavors. Watch out for those cherries! Woo! They have all sorts of things they make with their moonshine...the jellies and jams are AMAZING. The staff is all so polite and so fun. Def. make this a stop on your trip to Gatlinburg!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I thought this was the best attraction on the Strip in Gatlinburg. You could see the actual making of the moonshine with placards that explained the process. The gift shop had a huge array of Ole Smokie t-shirts, barware and hats. The tasting room offered little shots (to those of legal age) of their variety of flavored and plain moonshine. White Lightening will grow hair on your chest, but the flavored versions have less alcohol and less bite. We bought a quart jar of the blackberry and got the screw-on pourer in the gift shop. The rest of Gatlinburg is nice, but after a while the stores all look the same. This was a fun change, plus they had a guitar/banjo duo playing in their courtyard with places to sit and enjoy the music.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you like shine, this is your place! :) We came here a few times during our trip and defiantly spent more money then our hotel. We purchased some of their salsa, bbq rub, apple butter, bbq sauce and of course SHINE! You can sample each of the different types of shine as well as the sauces and salsa! Our only regret is that we didn't buy a sampler box of shine to take home with the other flavors because where we live there is only apple pie, blackberry, white lighting and original and the other flavors are to die for! :) If you like whiskey or flavored hard liquor this is the place for you!

2  Thank Mefoley