“Fun Experience”
Review of Old Town Gem Mine

Old Town Gem Mine
Ranked #37 of 137 Shopping in Gatlinburg
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We had a wonderful time, including my 2 year old daughter and 3 year old son. Brittany was great! We found several gems including a nice emerald! We had it cut into 2 - 2 carat stones, and also a smokey mountain topaz, which we had cut into 2 - 1 carat stones and a 4 carat which we had made into a ring. Received them in the mail yesterday! Took the cut stones to our jeweler and said we did very well - we weren't scammed or victims of a tourist trap. That was music to our ears!
We also have several citrine stones and 2 large amethysts, aquamarines, and other gems. They are still in the rough but look forward to getting them cut and made into jewelry.
Will DEFINATELY go back next time we are in Gatlinburg! Great souviners with a story!

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had a great time! Myself, my husband, our 3 year old daughter, and our 1 year old son all had a blast doing this, and got some really neat rocks. We had one of the Smoky Mountain Topaz rocks made into a ring to keep for our little girl. Very, very fun! Our kids loved it! A bit pricey though!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We went in not expecting much, had fun sifting through and finding some "gems" a few the owner said were great quality, i asked could I come back later to have them "cut" he was so rude, he was like "If you don't do it now, you never will, I've been in this business for alot of years and have never had anyone "come back"....what a hateful person,what he did not realize is that at the time we were on a tight budget. I still have the stones, one which is a huge aquamarine and I found a reputable gemstone cutter that said I actually got a great 4 carat stone that is gonna be beautiful!! so you lost your sale "idiot" I would never go there again!! :P

Reviewed October 24, 2011

This was actually more fun than we thought it would be. They let our family of six share a bucket and it took us about an hour to sift through to find the 'gems'. The gems aren't anything great, mind you, but we had fun just experiencing the sifting. We would definitely do this again!

1  Thank CompassionateTravel
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I went to the gem mine in Feb 2011. We got our bucket to mine, After we were done.they showed us the stones we found. They told us we had a good size ruby and that it would make a nice ring. We fell for this and spent 207.43. Then while I wasn't paying attention my husband as a suprise for me had a garnet necklace made for me. This was and extra 98.97. So basically we have spent 300.00. It is now October and we still have nothing to show for our money. We are planning a trip back to Gatlinburg in November and We will be going there to either get our merchandise or our money back and we will be contacting the bbb and reporting them . WHATEVER YOU DO DON;T WASTE YOUR MONEY. THIS PLACE IS A RIPOFF. THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NEVER ANSWER YOUR PHONE CALLS.

6  Thank mjdanner