“Very disappointed in Holiday Inn... this is a scam”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very disappointed in Holiday Inn... this is a scam”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

When making a reservation with Holiday Inn recently (one of three weeklong reservations), I was told that I qualified for some special promotion. Being that it is Holiday Inn/IHG, I thought they were above any kind of bad business practices. Anyway, I was told by someone that I could STAY AT the Holiday Inn Club vacation in Gatlinburg-Smokey Mountain for this $199 deal, and get the money back if I just gave them 2 hours on a Saturday morning. I am so mad at myself for even biting at this one. I know better. Anyway, I did it and after learning more about this deal, they will not refund my money now. I am now finding out that it is not to stay at this location, but at an area hotel... one of three in the area... and that I go over to this location (that I was led to believe I was staying at) for the 2 hour presentation. I'm sorry, but that is NOT what I was told on the phone. I have also clearly been told that this is not an exception, but that you never stay here unless you pay for some $400 package. It is not based on availability. I guess I will just go get my money back, but I am really disappointed in Holiday Inn and their practices with this. If they would just refund my $199, I would be happy, but they will not do it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank bahiablue
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hello, Jenny B
I am sorry you had issues with your reservation for our Marketing Tour Package. I wish you would have called and given me the opportunity to try and help resolve the issue of staying here prior to giving such an unfair review, as you did not even stay here with us. If you would have stayed here you would have realized that my staff and I will do everything possible to exceed your vacation expectations. Feel free to contact me here at the resort if I can be of any assistance in the future. I promise to work hard to meet your expectations if you actually ever stay here with us. Don Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Over from England and visiting my son and daughter in law in Charlotte we decided to take a trip up to Gatlinburg for a couple of nights.

We booked a suite based on two bedrooms, one two queen size bed with a separate bathroom and one with a king size bed with the bath in the bedroom!? And a good sized lounge with a gas fire and some very comfortable chairs plus other table and chairs to eat a meal at in a civilised manner.

Rooms were of nice size, with full kitchen which was well equipped, the only minor niggle was that even though book in was 16:00 we had to wait twenty minutes but as reported elsewhere the staff kept us entertained during our wait.

It is within walking distance to downtown Gatlinburg but be aware, it is an eight to ten minute walk back up the hill quite steep (as befits a road up to the mountains), which at the end of a long hard day walking it is quite a relief to get back up to the hotel.

No on site catering beyond a never ending supply of coffee and a small shop supplying the basics for use in the kitchen.

It is a holiday hotel and people do expect to use the facilities, which were for us sufficient, although the out door pool did look as if it could do with a bit of clean but that should not detract from the overall image of a team of people polite and friendly who appeared to be working hard to please customers who sometimes did not seem to want to be pleased.

All in all just right for our purpose which was somewhere to stay to get a taster of the region.

Room Tip: Aim high the view down over Gatlinburg is stunning
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello Cliver 2029, I am glad y’all had such a good time with us! We tried to create an experience of swimming in one of our local river swimming holes at our outdoor pool. We finished the bottom of the pool with a brown glass beaded material called Jewel Scapes , that has color variations, which is normal , giving the appearance of the “river bottom”. I assure you the pools are very clean. I want to thank you for noticing how hard my team try’s to please ALL of our guest ALL the time. I hope y’all will come back and see us next trip to see your son and family , bring them with you. Don Ward
Fort Walton Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Gatlinburg Holiday Inn is the perfect destination for anyone who plans to be on the go in the Gatlinburg area. I have stayed in Holiday Inn's all across the country as an Elite Member, and I can say that my experience with the staff here was different from any other location. As long as this isn't the standard I will continue to visit Holiday Inns.

The room we had was quite nice with a well equipped kitchen, which was extremely handy since the resort doesn't not include a restaurant or lounge. The mountains are the focus, and there are nice views, from some rooms. Our room had a balcony that we could stand on to enjoy a view and if we wanted to sit we could pull back the curtains and still see part of the view while sitting in the living room. The center of the complex sports a wet area pool and hot tub surrounded with plants for a tropical feel. The surrounding buildings and vegetation makes it a challenge to keep the pool clean, but it looked like they tried.

There must be better places to stay.

Room Tip: No room service. No restaurant . No bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FWB_Foodie
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hello FWB-Foodie I have sent you a private message in hopes to obtain the information I need to correct the experience you had with my staff. I look forward to your response. Don Ward
DENHAM SPRINGS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Sofa bed broken beyond repair. No one came out until midnight the day I called on it. 2 broken rocking chairs. Large stains on carpet. No one seems to want to get back with me. We stayed 3 nights and the last night was the only night we could use the sofa bed!!

2 Thank ROBERTA S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just checked into this hotel. My mother and I were coming to gatlinburg /Pigeon Forge area for one night and my Uncle lets us use his points to stay. We have done this several times over the years at Holiday Inn and never had a problem before . However at this hotel they asked my mom for her drivers license and a credit card in case of damages to the room . Which was fine but this has never been asked of any other holiday inn since we are staying on points. They already charged her card $115 deposit which will be refunded if no damages are found when we check out oh and it will take 7 to 10 days to get the money back !!! Noone informed us of this when the reservation was made oh and also we were told to come back in a few minutes to get parking pass which I'm sure is when they are gonna try to sell us the timeshare !!! Not happening !!! This hotel sucks as far as customer service goes!!!

5 Thank Amanda4530
Hello, Amanda 4530
Thank you for your review of our resort and your experience staying with us. I apologize for such a late response. I want to assure you that your comments where read when we received them and any corrective actions where made if needed. I promise that we will continue to work very hard striving to meet the highest expectations that our guest have become accustom to while staying with us. I hope to see you and your family again as your travels bring ya’ll back to our beautiful Smoky Mountains and the surrounding area. Don Ward
Covington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I absolutely LOVE this place! This was our families second visit to this hotel and it was wonderful. You CANNOT beat this hotels location. You can walk to everything on the strip. This place is by far the cleanest hotel we've ever stayed at. The staff is EXTREMELY helpful and courteous. Everytime I passed an employee I was always greeted with a smile and a have a wonderful day or a I hope you enjoy your vacation! Thank you for making our vacation comfortable and amazing :-) We will be back :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tamara C
Well welcome back Tamara H! It delights me so that ya’ll had such a great return visit! Did your momma come back with you this time? I hope all is well with your family. Now on your next visit make sure to let us know what your expectations are for that stay, because I truly mean it when I tell folks that we work very hard to not only meet our guest expectations but to exceed them time after time for your most recent stay and for the many many more to come! Hope to see y’all soon! Don Ward
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here multiple times and have always had a great stay. This past time was even better. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. You always saw a smile on their faces. My three year old loved the parrot in the lobby. We will be staying here again and are looking forward to it!

• Stayed September 2013
Hello and thank you TN wife! Your review is so appreciated as it speaks to the “heart” of my team! I can’t wait to see y’all back. When you do return make sure to contact me we will get your little one up to Parrot Mountain , talk about Parrot’s . Hope to see you soon! Don Ward