“I was so please of room and kindness of the staff”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort
Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We were in awe about the room. Very clean wth 2 bathrooms. Easy acces to downtown.
We needed a nice vacation and this fit the bill. We will recommed to our families. Which they are coming up in October. I love the fireplace with auto timer on it. The jaccuzi being right in the master bedroom was lovely. Washer and dryer were a plus. Full size kitchen and hugh table to eat dinner at. View over Gatlingburg was a plus too. I can't really say anything bad about it. We were treated very good. The staff was awesome. It's a great place for family or a family to take a break and get that fresh mountain air...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort

Reviewed March 14, 2011

The Condo for no hotel is this adequately furnished. It was a beautiful 2 bedroom with a fireplace (THAT WORKED), Ceiling fans throughout, the guest room had a queen and a full size bed and if necessary the sofa, although you would not have know it by sitting on it, was a queen sleeper. The kitchen was furnished with enough dishes and flatware for 8. Everything was clean. There were plenty of paper products and sufficient towels for a weeks stay. The staff was friendly and willing to help in any way they could. The ceiling fans worked exactly as they should, we didn't use the whirpool tub but it was clean and there was never any shortage of hot water. The indoor pool was cloudy and had to much chlorine in it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2011

My family and I stayed in a two bedroom suite, the beginning of March. The staff were very nice and helpful. This is the only place my family wants to stay when visiting Gatlinburg. The location is very convenient, close to the main strip but also far enough that you dont hear all the noise.
We decided in the middle of our stay that we wanted to add two additional nights to our stay. The manager was very helpful in arranging it for us.
The rooms are stocked with everything you will need.
I highly recommend this resort. We loved our stay.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 11, 2011

My husband and I were needing a quick get weekend getaway, and this was prefect. The front desk staff were great, and so helpful in every way. They recommend place to eat, things to do. Check in was quick and easy, the room was better than we ever thought a room away from home could be. It was clean, smelled nice as you walked in and the bed was quite comfy. Was in a good location that we never had to get in our vechicle to go anywhere else all was with in walking distance or a trolly ride which you could catch right out in front

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Great Vacation Resort. Our 1 bedroom villa was awesome. The staff is the best. They went out of their way to be sure everything was perfect with our stay. Tried ot get to know us even though we were only there for two nights. Extremely friendly.
Super location in Gatlinburg. You can walk to everything.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Orange Lake has done it again. We gave this HI hotel a chance because we LOVE Orange Lake Orlando and we were hoping to receive the same standard of quality. From the attentive front desk staff to the lovely smell as we entered the room, we were hooked. We had a two room suite facing the back. It was warm enough to open the windows and slider to the balcony...we also lit the fire and listened to the wonderful roar of the creek below. Carpet was new, bedding was great, beds comfortable. Easy drive (10min) to Ober for skiing. We enjoyed the indoor pool and also attended the weekly (Tues.) Parrot show in the lobby....kids loved it. I am the type of person who pulls the sheets back immediately to inspect for hairs/tears/holes, etc....didn't find a stray hair in the beds, in the sinks or on the floor. Impeccable housekeeping. We will not hesitate to book here again next year for our ski trip.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank stylinjr
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My wife and I travel to Gatlinburg about once a year---usually get a cabin in the mountains but decided we'd stay downtown this year. Pulled into the Holiday Inn on a Tuesday looking for somewhere to stay for about a week but were told they were booked for the weekend. I took a look at a room anyway and was impressed enough to go ahead and book the three days available. The room was very nice, comfortable seating, full kitchen stocked with the basics, large bathroom and washer/dryer which was definately a plus as we had been on the road for more than a week already. The only thing I noticed was the carpet had several lighter patches that had been spot cleaned---no big deal and I came to find out later that the carpets were being replaced.
A couple quibbles with the room---the balcony was pretty much useless for anything other than standing. There was only enough room for the two chairs to fit sideways so if you and another person were out there, you'd basically be staring at each other and not the view. The view itself (we were on the 9th floor), was predominately of the parking lot of adjacent building but also offerred nice views of the city below and mountains in the distance.
The bedding I would describe as adequate, not at all plush but comfortable enough.
The main problem is that the bed is next to and parallel with the window looking out to the exterior walkway which understandably is lit up at night. Even when fully closed either way the blinds let a surprising amount of light in. The curtains were side window decoration only and didn't offer any help.
Service was for the most part friendly and efficient. We bring our own coffee with us on these trips but had forgotten filters. The coffeemaker there was supplied only with one of those pre-packed servings, so I called down to see if they had any. I was told they don't offer any for sale but they would supply me with some from their own coffeemaker. I went down to the front desk and was handed about a half dozen filters--more than enough for our needs and much appreciated as it saved us a trip downtown. Also, the first morning we discovered the iron didn't work. Someone was at our door in just a few minutes of my call with a brand new one. He inquired if we were enjoying our stay and asked if there was anything else he could do-----nice job.
One thing's for sure, the people here take their hotels ratings very seriously, as was explained to me at check in when I mentioned the T.A. reviews. " It's important that you put down the highest marks in all the catagories", she said, adding that we would be receiving an online satisfaction survey where they would like to receive only 'extremely satisfied'. 'exceeded expectations', and 'strongly agree' answers. She asked that we contact them During Our Stay if for whatever reason we couldn't give them the highest marks. I nodded my head, half wondering if that meant they would correct the problem or hold us in the basement without food and water until we signed off.
The other personel we encountered during our stay ranged from merely pleasant to 'just exited a motivational seminar' excited. We often mistook people associated with the hotel as other guests---until the questioning started--as there was no identifying aparrel. One such group we encountered in the elevator greeted us enthusiastically,
asked how we were enjoying our stay and "isn't this just the most wonderful place"? and so on. The man in the group (with two ladies) exclaimed "And how about the cleanliness of those rooms; isn't it TERRIFIC"?!! He actually fist-punched the air with that last word.
"Well yes", I replied. "In fact, I strongly agree that it exceeded my expectations".
That did it-----their faces fairly burst with joy; shouts of "Woooeee!" Yeaah!,That's what we like to hear!' rang out. I think they were about to dance around and high-five each other when the elevator door opened and they exited, beaming and wishing us well.
We got a few chuckles out of that somewhat bizzare encounter but hey, God Bless Them. I've stayed in enough places where the staff was indifferent or downright rude and it was refreshing (and entertaining) to see people who were so enthusiastic about their establishment
One encounter wasn't so pleasurable, however. I was in the middle of taking a shower our first morning there when I heard a loud knocking at the door and then a male voice who from what I could hear, seemed to be asking my wife a lot of questions. My first thought was that it could be the police--- or maybe somebody was trying to scam their way into our room. I hurried out of the shower, threw on some pants and walked out to see a rather large guy standing in the doorway with a clipboard, while my wife was just inside, hanging on to the door. He saw me and said, "Hey, you're probably wondering what I'm doing here asking your wife all these questions" "That's exactly what I'm wondering". I replied. not hiding my irritation. He went on to say he was with the hotel, conducting a 'guest survey' and only had a couple more questions. I shook my head and said something like "you've got to be kidding" and then stepped into the bedroom to finish drying off and get dressed. The questioning continued--- "Where do you like to vacation? How many days do you spend on vacation? How much do you typically spend? My wife is a lot more 'polite' than I am in these circumstances but I could tell she had about enough of this. Then he started his sales pitch---time share sales---.
I heard my wife say "no thanks", we're really not interested", etc. He started to persist but by that time I was coming around the corner and I guess he sensed my mood or it could have been the "why are you still here"? greeting and left with a "here's my card; call me with any questions" retreat.
Here's my problem with this episode: We were paying guests here, not someone getting a free night in exchange for sitting through a time share pitch. No one at any time mentioned that someone would be coming by to conduct this bogus "survey".
How about a phone call first to see if it would be convienent to send someone by? Don't just come by unannounced banging on the door at 10:00 in the morning....that's the way muggers opperate.
Anyway, it was over and I didn't let it ruin my day. All things considererd, it was just a half hour or so of annoyance in an otherwise nice three day stay. If we do decide to come back, I'll just let them know up front that we don't want the sales pitch. If they say it's part of the deal, we'll go elsewhere------which we did after checking out on Friday.

Off to the Hilton Garden Inn just down the road! Review to follow--should be a lot less long winded.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple