“Trout and more trout”

Smoky Mountain Trout House
Ranked #45 of 204 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Smoky Mountain Trout House prides itself on offering absolutely the freshest trout in Gatlinburg. Our trout are ice packed directly to the restaurant. Once it has arrived we take great care in our preparing your selection exactly as you like. All of the trout served in this restaurant are Rainbow Trout, grown in the sparkling clear waters of the Smokies. The purity and flavor of mountain trout offered great pleasure to the original settlers of the Smokies. So... have a seat, rest a spell and you, too, can enjoy a special treat... real Smoky Mountain trout! Thank you for visiting us and remember to treat yourself to trout... It's as good as all outdoors!
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have never eaten at a restaurant that fixed trout so many different ways. The six people in our party had a number of varieties and they were all excellent. Excellent broccoli casserole and salad. Service was friendly. Owner was a good conversationalist. The prices were very good for what we got. Definitely will go back next time I am in Gatlinburg.

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

My party and myself visited this establishment in June. Three out of five in total had the trout. We each had a different cooking method. I had blankened and my friends had smoked and the parmesan crusted. We loved it. I liked the different types to choose from. The only thing I would enjoy better would be boneless. I will definitely return on my next trip.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is a local resturant that has been in business for over 35 years. They do Trout. Quite well, in fact. They are not upscale. They are not trendy. They serve good food at a reasonable price. The homemade pies are to die for.

It is small, so go early or make a reservation.Beer and wine only. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Zeewoman
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We walked in to this restaurant not knowing what to expect. It is not fancy, however, the trout was out of this world. The menu offers trout every way imaginable and we had the basic trout with hushpuppies. The fish came out with the head but the lovely server fileted and de-headed it for us. Boy was it fresh! It seemed as if there were many regulars there and everyone was enjoying and socializing.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I was in Gatlinbug Tn over Memorial Day weekend. Gatlinburg is one of our favorite weekend spots except we are running out of restaurants to try. I had been to the Smokey Mountain Trout House when I was about 9 years old so about 31 years ago and all I remembered about it was laughing because my moms trout came with the head still attached. Since my husband and I have eaten everywhere else we decided to give it a try.

Walking into the front door doesn't offer much hope. It is EXTREMELY small but it was very clean and there were no weird smells. We were seated by the older manager and the waitress, Mary took our drink order. I ordered iced tea and was told it would be a minute as they were washing the glasses. Fine, not a problem. The place was packed and they were turning away more guest because there was no room.

They have an extensive trout menu. There were probably close to 20 different ways they fixed trout. My husband ordered the one that was rolled in bread crumbs and bacon, I forget the name but we were told that was their most famous. It was $19 and came with a salad and side. If you don't want trout your choices are a little smaller. There is prime rib, rib eye, chicken, and a shrimp dish. I had the prime rib. I ordered it rare and Mary said they couldn't do a rare but could medium-rare. Fine. Keep in mind that they cook everything to order, nothing is setting around under heat lamps so getting your food is a little slow. But hey your on vacation slow down a little.

While waiting, a table for seven showed up. We were seated at a table with another couple, we had two seats between us, and the manager asked if we would mind moving to a different table so the party of seven could have our table. No problem, he gave us a slice of key lime pie for our trouble which I thought was very nice considering it really wasn't any trouble.

Our dinners arrived and my husbands fish was whole, head and all. Before setting it on the table Mary took the head and back bone off. It looked delicious. I got my prime rib and to my delighted surprise it was rare not medium. They did their best to get it as rare as the could and I appreciated the effort. I tasted my husbands fish and it was so good. No fishy taste at all and it was a pretty big fish. My prime rib was so tender you could cut it with a fork and it was spiced perfectly. Our potatoes were very large and cooked well. After supper Mary brought our Key lime pie out and the first thing we noticed was it was not that weird green color. It was extremely good. The manager asked us how it was and I told it wonderful. He said it was his recipe and that Mary made them fresh every day. I believe it.

So to sum up our experience we had a great time. The food was really good and fresh. The service was wonderful. I will admit you have to get past the smallness of the restaurant and the kitsch. Just give them a chance and I think you will be happy. I do warn if you drink cokes with your meal they only serve it in cans and it's a $1.95/can. They do have a pretty big wine list and also serve beer.

The Trout house is a little gem in Gatlinburg. It has been there for over 40 years and there's a reason, it has good food. I have seen restaurants come and go in Gatlinburg in my 40 years of vacationing there and the Trout House remains. Give it a try, I know we'll be back.

1  Thank fiestyfelix