“Poorly laid out...most shops carry same stuff”

Great Smoky Arts and Crafts Community
Ranked #3 of 133 Shopping in Gatlinburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A community of artists and artisans selling their wares where you can find everything from basket weaving, to painting and metal smithing.
Birmingham, Alabama
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Poorly laid out...most shops carry same stuff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

I'll admit I had high expectations for visiting this area, but everyone in my part of four left with the same comment: "That was it?" While I admire and enjoy much of the woodcarving and pottery that come from Southern Appalachian artisans, I was expecting more authentic wares...after visiting three shops along Glades Road, we realized that about half of their inventory was identical. In combination with a long road of disparate shops that are only accessible by car, we headed back to downtown Gatlinburg--where there are also plenty of good shops hidden among the tchotchke and souvenir sellers. If I hadn't known otherwise, it would have looked like almost any other small-town road in the US.

2 Thank ashleyhsmith

Peachtree City, Georgia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Loved getting to make our own pottery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

We had so much fun getting our hands dirty at Alewine Pottery. It was only $5 to try it; $25 to have the piece you create glazed, fired and mailed to your home. What a cool experience. Cory helped all of us make our own creations and she was incredibly patient. She calmly encouraged us and when we were finished we all thought we had the talent to become potters! A great experience for all of us! My brother-in-law visited a few weeks ago with his family and made a plate with his little girls' handprints. Adorable!

Don't miss this!

3 Thank GigiATL
Hebron, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Alewine Pottery.....do not miss this shop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

I have been to the Arts and Crafts Community a few times before but hadn't stopped here until last week and I am so glad I did. This is a wonderful place! It is located at 623 Glades Rd and it's just past the Morning Mist Village complex, about a third of the way through the loop. You can watch pottery being made there. The finished pottery is just beautiful and they have many different things to choose from to purchase .....vases, , pitchers, candle holders, mugs, plates, etc. It's definitely worth a stop while driving through the Arts and Crafts community. The staff was also very friendly.

1 Thank cookie45
tn
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Save your gas for a drive in the mountains”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

This place was not what we expected. Maybe not our taste even I dont know. We love shopping in little stores ecspecially when its locals, but the price on majority of this stuff was outragious plus the fact that it is all spread out and not really in a community but spread out amoung an area is even worse.

3 Thank Jill L
louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Use the Trolley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2008

My husband and I love this area. We especially like using the trolley system to get around the Arts and Crafts loop. You can park your vehicle and then get on and off the trolley as you please.

12 Thank LouisianaGoldwing