“great property, hit or miss staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown
Ranked #4 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is my second time at this property. Make no mistake, it is a beautiful hotel. Perfect location, well cared for, nice rooms (although the mattresses need replaced) and right next to the park. We had a fantastic week, great time in smoky mountains and Gatlinburg. Able to walk one block to downtown for great restaurants and shopping. My complaint is the staff, some were VERY friendly, but others, not so much. We had hiked all day in the mountains, returned to the room to shower before dinner. Had to use the same little bottle of shampoo from the morning. We were traveling with myself my wife and three children under ten. needless to say we used the bottle before my wife had a chance to shower. she ran down to ask for another bottle and was told, sorry, you can BUY one from the convenience store. I was appalled. The hotel is not a motel six, and at approx. 200 per night, I would think you would be able to give me an extra bottle of shampoo. luckily we had an extra in our overnight bag we found from a trip to a Hilton in California in june. I just felt that was really tacky. But my biggest complaint staff wise was at check in. the staff at the front desk was fine, but we gathered our luggage, got in the elevator with the five of us and our bags, and the back of the elevator opens. Two people from housekeeping jumped in with a giant bag of towels. Ok, fine, no big deal. The problem was the fight. The elevator doors opened on the second floor. another person from housekeeping was standing there, these ladies began yelling about rooms not being cleaned, THROWING towels at each other, cursing, etc. My children are ten nine and six. This was unacceptable. they kept this up for a few minutes. finally I had had enough and asked them to stop. They apologized and pushed the door closed. They then began cussing about the first girl and yelling about how they were done with this place and leaving. We exited and went to our room, and later found them discussing it in the hall as we went out to dinner. It was truly bizarre, and completely unprofessional, especially if this were my first impression of this hotel. So overall great property, great location, modern and clean. But really need to put some dollars into customer service TRAINING!

Room Tip: all rooms were very quiet and well cared for
2  Thank traveldoctor40
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hello traveldoctor40, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. While I'm very glad to hear that you loved the property and some of the staff you encountered, I'm very sad to see that you had to experience that unpleasent encounter with my staff. I can assure you this matter has been addressed and resolved. This was completely unacceptable for you and your family to witness this. With what seemed like a great start and a decent stay with us can easily be turned the opposite direction and for that I can't apologize enough. All I can tell you is that I promise to you that you will not ever experience that issue again while staying with us. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post your review. If there is ever anything that I can do for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a wonderful place. It is in a great location within walking distance of most restaurants and attractions. We have stayed at many hotels in Gatlinburg as we live only an hour away and it makes a great weekend getaway. If you want quality you will not find a nicer hotel in Gatlinburg. There are many pancake houses and restaurants in the area. Although the breakfast price seems high to some people it is actually very worth the money at the Hilton as the price of $9.95 includes a full buffet of top quality foods and also you get made to order omelets, waffles, pancakes, French toast, The price includes coffee and any kind of juice you can think of. It really beats going to a local restaurant or pancake house as there are no long lines like they have. You are seated and eating as soon as you go down from your room. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location. It is a little more expensive than many hotels but you get what you pay for. Like all Hiltons the beds are great with the down comforters.

2  Thank Scott E
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Hello Scott E, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time with us. Our number one priority is to make sure that you have the best time possible. I'm also glad you were able to take advantage of our breakfast. Our kitchen staff does an excellent job and it nice to see that hard work paid off through a great comment such as yours. Thank you again and if there is ever anything that I can do for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

You'll love the value and amenities this hotel has to offer. Great value and great staff. You are only 1 block from all downtown Gatlinburg,tn has to offer. What a great place for couples to vacation. The staff goes out of their way to be sure you have a great experience. Money back if you aren't happy

2  Thank Jeffrey G
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Hello Jeffrey G, thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to review your stay. I'm glad to see that you had great interactions with our staff while you were here. I'm also glad that you put in your comments " Money back if you aren't happy". This is our Brand Promise and you are exactly right if you aren't completely satisfied you don't pay for it. This is how confident we are that you will have a great time with us. I hope that you will continue to make us your lodging choice for what we hope will be many more trips back to Gatlinburg. Thank you again and if there is ever anything that I can do for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very pleased with location and cleanliness- We stayed in a room that had a sleep number type bed. We couldn't get the bed to soften up though. Bed was very hard. Another big complaint is that there was no fan in the bathroom - very steamy and damp after shower. Other that than - excellent location and very clean. Would definitely stay again!

2  Thank Melanie H

Hello Melanie H, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad to see that you had such a good time with us. This is the attitude we want all our guest to leave with. I'm sorry that your bed did not seem to function correctly. The next time you are here and you have any issues please don't hesitate to call right away and we will take care of it for you immediately. We want to make sure that you are well rested when you leave here. Thank you again and if there is ever anything that I can do for you please give me a call.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Hotel staff really don't go the extra mile. Overflow parking poor lighting at night - Next door to other properites. Signs are everywhere stating hotel is not responsible for damage to cars, your own risk....Hilton really need to rethink liging and safety issues for personnel.

1  Thank Randy C

Hello Randy C, thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting your review. It dissapoints me to see that you felt my staff didn't go the extra mile. The number one goal of my staff is to make sure that each guest that comes in here has the best vacation experience possible and I'm very sorry that we were unable to reach our goal with you. I promise that we will continue to get better and I hope that you will try us again the next time you are in Gatlinburg. If there is ever anything that I can do for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

It was an excellent experience, will definately stay again :) Very close to everythign on the Parkway, so conveinient. Staff is very accomidating and friendly. Room very clean and I like the fact that the rooms are internal. I don't feel safe in a hotel with the external rooms and this is one of the few in Gatlinburg like this.

1  Thank Christine N

Hello Christine N, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad to see that you had a great time with us. The words "excellent experience" is like music to my ears. My staff and I strive for the best vacation experience possible and excellent is hard to top. I know that my staff will be happy to see this comment. Thank you again and if there is ever anything that I can do for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Went to Gatlinburg for a get away and had a wonderful time. This hotel is excellent. It is a little pricey, but worth the money. Although I arrived before check in the front desk didn't seem to mind. I reserved 2 rooms but only 1 was ready. The only complaint is housekeeping said it will only be another hr before the room would be ready and the front desk said they would call my cell phone when it was ready. Well it was after 4 and still no call so I went back to the hotel and they gave me the key. If I could have just gotten some kind of call to let me know the status of the room. Overall the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Each night my mom and I would take advantage of the cookies and beverages. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hello Benita U, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm glad to see that you had a good time with us. I apologize that my staff neglected to give you a call concerning your other room. I will definitely take this opportunity for training so that it won't happen again. I see that you were able to take advantage of the cookies and maybe some of those happy hour specials. The cookies are great and the specials in the restaurant are a great value so I'm glad you were able to experience that. Thank you again and if there is anything that I can ever do for you please don't hesitate to contact me.