“great room, not so good restaurant”

Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown
Ranked #4 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night January 26 for a short visit to the Smokies. This hotel is really quite good. The location is a single block away from the main touring strip in Gatlinburg. The room itself was wonderful. I had a standard room with king bed. The room contained a fireplace and the room and bath were excellent.

Contrary to what some people think, breakfast is not complementary. You can either purchase the bed-and-breakfast package, or you can pay for breakfast separately. When I made reservations, I selected the bed and breakfast deal, which cost me $10 more than a straight room reservation. Having said that, I did not eat breakfast there. More on that in just a bit.

If all you are concerned about is the room, this hotel will suit you well. It has polite staff, adequate and free parking, fitness room, indoor pool, and excellent rooms. The only downside is the restaurant.

My wife and I decided to eat dinner at the hotel for convenience sake. I normally do not like to eat at hotel restaurants (mostly because of the premium prices they tend to charge), but I have made exceptions to the rule. My wife got a decent chicken marsala dinner with a side of burnt break (black on the bottom). For myself, I had ordered the fish & chips dinner thinking that it would be the Gatlinburg equivalent of the famous English combo. To people who know, English fish & chips is really just fried fish with a side of french fries - they call french fries chips. Well, the chef decided that fish & chips must include real American chips, so they served me a plate of scorched battered fish on top of a heaping plate of potato chips. The fish was truly scorched, a dark brown battered exterior that was hard as a brick and I had to crack open to get at the hidden fish. The chips were potato chips.... they may have been home-made, but they were chips none the less. What a meal.

The dinner turned my stomach enough that I refused to face the dining area for breakfast, even though I had already paid for it. Maybe I missed a good breakfast, but restaurants usually upset a customer just one time to lose them for life.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Victor L

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here during a conference in Gatlinburg. Our stay was great. The hotel was very nice. Staff was wonderful. Room was clean. Beds were comfortable, and the breakfast was great. Definitely a hotel I would stay at again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Caleb J
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our stay was during January 2013. The staff was very professional, helpful, and friendly. Staff was very knowledgeable and provided sound opinions on local establishments. The HGI is in a centralized location of Gatlinburg within walking distances of great food, entertainment, and shopping.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We used to go to Gatlinburg every year and always stayed in a very basic motel, but we hadn't been back in a decade and now for our first return trip we decided to stay somewhere nicer. We originally wanted a rental cottage but didn't want to give up the ability to walk to the main strip on the Parkway, so we settled for the Hilton. So glad we did! The hotel is very nice, exactly what you would expect for the Hilton brand. The location is excellent, on the end of the Parkway nearest the National Park, a very short walk to the main road and to our favorite restaurant, the Smoky Mtn. Brewery, and to one of our new favorite attractions, the Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery.

Being one block back from the Parkway is great because it's quieter, if that's important to you. But it's still close to where you're right in the middle of the action. The only downside is that the fastest on-foot route to the Parkway is through an adjoining parking garage. Otherwise you're walking around the side roads out of your way. We ultimately returned to our hotel every night via River Rd., but the lack of a good walkway to the Parkway might annoy some easily-agitated people. It's not like it's far, it's only a block, but walking through a parking garage is certainly a bizarre way to leave the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puablo
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed at several Hilton Garden Inns over the last few years and have never been disappointed! This one is nice too. Friendly front desk at check-in, all the staff, and housekeeping too.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with a fireplace available.

Close to everything in Gatlinburg, we did mini golf and the indoor waterpark. I would say we hada lot of fun on this trip and the hotel was a very good close-in base.

Highly recommended is you are just passing through Gatlinburg or staying for an extended period.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TuffLad
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I visited Gatlinburg for the first time in December 2012 and decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. This is a wonderful hotel. It is designed so you feel you are in a lodge rather than a hotel. The lobby is huge and has several seating areas, two are arranged around the double-sided fireplace. It is so nice to sit there after touring Gatlinburg and having some popcorn or warm cookies and a hot apple cider or hot chocolate, etc. Coffee and tea are available all day but in the evening you can also have hot apple cider and/or hot chocolate. There is also a big screen TV if you wish to watch it.
There is also an outside courtyard with a fire pit and hot tub. My husband and I felt like we were in a ski lodge in Vermont.
The hotel is immaculate and the staff are terrific. We ate at the restaurant every morning for breakfast and the restaurant staff were very accommodating. There is a breakfast buffet plus the cook will make you whatever type of egg dish you want. We also had dinner there our first night, we were the only diners, therefore the waiter (who I believe name is Tony, I am terrible with remembering names) came over and spoke to us and told us about Gatlinburg and where to go, etc. The food both at breakfast and dinner was delicious and reasonably priced.
Our suite was clean and roomy . I need a handicap accessible room and this suite was perfect. The bathroom was clean and very accessible. In addition, the suite didn't look like an accessible room. We were on the fourth floor and had a view of the courtyard below. We didn't feel like second-class citizens in this room or this hotel.
Every member of the staff that we met were courteous and helpful and always had a smile.
The day we were leaving my mobility chair's car carrier broke, and we were not sure if we could drive home with the chair on the carrier. We tried to reach the chair carrier's local representatives, but could not. We called the emergency number for the durable medical equipment place where we bought the carrier, and they could not help us. Finally, we asked the waiter (Tony?) we had met if he knew where we could get help and he asked the hotel's engineer to look at our carrier. The engineer looked at the carrier and he felt that we would be able to drive home with the chair on the carrier without a problem. He was right. It was a busy Saturday morning with people leaving and checking in, yet two of the hotel's staff members took the time to help us. This is the type of service you can expect from the Hilton Garden Inn in Gatlinburg.
We definitely will stay here whenever we are in Gatlinburg or the vicinity. The hotel is located right in the heart of the city; it is a gorgeous hotel/lodge and the staff are amazing. We would definitely recommend staying here. We had a terrific mini-vacation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karen S
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Last minute weekend girls' getaway to Gatlinburg. There were 6 of us looking for a place in downtown G'burg that would sleep 6 as well as be a clean, safe, and reputable hotel with modern amenities. The Hilton Garden was perfect. The 2 bed queen suite with pullout sofa offered us the right amount of space for a 36 hour stay. We arrived at 10:30 a.m. after leaving Nashville early, and we were given an early check-in since the room was ready. This was much appreciated so that we could unload our car, get settled in to the room, and then head out for a hike. After the hike in the mountains, we returned that afternoon and enjoyed the hot tub and fire pit, and we were brought delicious, warm cookies from Tony on staff. What a treat! He even recommended some places to eat and things to do that evening. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom clean, and the room had plenty of mirrors that made it easy for 6 women (mid-30s) to get ready at the same time. The room provided plenty of sunlight when we wanted it during the daylight hours, and yet the room when the curtains were drawn provided the perfect amount of blackout to allow us to sleep in the next morning. It was a great "home base" for our 36 hours in Gatlinburg. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends