Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Loft Resort, Ascend Resort Collection
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We do a lot of traveling, and spend a couple of weeks at Mountain Loft each year. We have stayed in each of the units with exception of the new Phase II. The villas are apartments that have two sizes; Deluxe and Standard. Both are somewhat small, fine for two people but no more. The Standard size shares an entrance with the Deluxe, so we have reserved it when we have family along with us. Otherwise, I would always recommend the Deluxe Villa when you need just one unit. The Townhouses in general have more room, and you will be less effected by other guest. They also have a Standard and Deluxe size difference. Four people can stay in the Deluxe Townhouse with no porblem. I prefer the Standard Townhouse over the Deluxe Villa.

In General this place does have some years on it, but I have never experenced a problem. We go for the Mountains, and spend most of our time on hikes. There is a grocery store less than five minutes from the entrance which has a pretty good choices of items including a decent variety of wines. The City Hall is just across from the entrance and you can catch a trollie downtown if you wish. We have even road our Mountain bikes to town, but it is a few miles away.

My three favorite hikes are Alum Cave Trial, Rainbow Falls, and Chimmey Tops. When the rhododendroms are in bloom Alum Cave Trial is a must. As you travel up out of the forest onto the cliffs you are surrounded by one of the most beautiful places on earth. Rainbow Falls has a neat water fall about half way up, and Chimmey Tops has a neat rock wall thay can be climb for an awesome view. There are plenty of other great hikes in the smokies, but if you are limited to just making one or two hikes, these three are great options.

If you are expecting a 4 or 5 star hotel you will be greatly disappointed. If you are expecting a good view, a decent room with a kitchen, and a club house this is a great place. I have stayed at Mountain Loft over 20 times, I love the place. But all I need is a place to sleep at night, shower, and store some food items for a couple of weeks.

Room Tip: always upgrade to a Deluxe
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Orville S

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I are Bluegreen Owners and this was the fourth location we have tried. It was the best, yet. We are looking forward to coming back for a longer stay and bringing friends/family. We stayed in a 1 bedroom Deluxe Villa (Building 3). Very spacious for the two of us, and the sleeper sofa could have been used for additional guests. There were two bathroom sinks in separate, adjoining rooms. One had the whirlpool tub (which we did not use), the other had a shower, washer/dryer, and the toilet. We made good use of the kitchen area and the big screen TV in the living room. The patio was nice since we were on the ground floor. The upper units had balconies. It was a short walk to one of the three swimming pools on the property. The pool was heated so we got to enjoy a couple of good swims. (It was actually warmer than the hot tub, but we like the water warmer than most.) We were warned about the possibility of ladybugs but did not see a single one nor the bears that had been spotted near the property recently. The king sized bed was very comfortable and we rarely heard any sounds from the next door units. We were invited to an "Owners Update" (read sales pitch?), but they were not too pushy when we declined attending. We were only stating for a couple of nights and had too many activities already scheduled.

Room Tip: On buildings 2, 3, and 4, the second floor is level with the parking lot. There are elevators to the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ADCollier
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were leery, based on some reviews, but the one-bedroom condo was extremely clean, well-maintained, and perfect for our week in the Smokies. Everything has a "fragile" tone to it - appliances, bathroom fixtures, etc., so be gentle. One very nice touch was having a laundry in the condo. The supplies - kitchenware, linens, etc., were wonderful.

Room Tip: Consider the needs of your group before booking; they have great accommodations.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlene A
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have been a Mountain Loft owner since before it was even completed. These are the changes that I think need to be made so that it will be worth it to have ownership.
1. Internet should be free. I was going to get it for the entire week, but there were some problems. I paid for 24 hours after several attempts and calls, but even when I did get access, it was not for the entire 24 hours.
2. There needs to be some comfortable seating in the living area. We stay in the Chalets and usually there are six of us. I don't want to come in from being out all day and have to sit in a straight chair. The furnishings are pretty but not comfortable.
3. There needs to be more kids-friendly areas; maybe a pool with a slide; a playground for the kids would be nice.
4. When I come on vacation, I do not want to meet with representatives to discuss changes in our ownership. It's my vacation; if I want to talk with someone, I will let you know.

6  Thank fburgess
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Let me start of by saying we are and have been a Bluegreen owner for six years and stayed at nine of their different resorts and this by far was the WORST of the resort we have stayed at. The one bedroom town house unit have very thin walls. The unit we stayed in had old style TV'S. The TV in the bedroom had a OLD VHS tape machine ONLY, no DVD player(they only rented out DVD'S, and were do you rent VHS tape today) the combination DVD / VHS unit was in the living room. The kitchen draws are small the silverware tray would not fit in it. The size of the bed in the bedroom was only a FULL SIZE bed which squeaked like hell(even just sitting on the edge of it was unbelieved loud ). Be advised that 500 sq ft is VERY small. We did find out that some of the units do have wall mounted flat screen TV'S. Their is no counter space what so ever(and I mean NO) in the kitchen. When we got to the room we did not have any shampoos or soaps for showering(had to go purchase form local store). Pools are small and it is a long walk to use them if you are staying in the units that are on the out skirts of the property. We have attended many owners meetings and this was one of the most PUSHIEST one we have ever attended(had to tell them we were could not afford or need any more points at least 7 or 8 times). We got their at 8:30 and did not leave until 11:15. What a wasted day. I would recommend that if you are going to stay here, try on of the lodges first(buildings 9,10,11) as during our update we show one of these units (looked very nice). I know when we go back to Gatlinburg we are going to try to get into a lodge unit. If we can not get into one of them we will spend are sleeping time in one of the very many other hotels available. In closing this (resort) REALLY needs alot of upgrading.

3  Thank Robert L
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed in unit 118 Chalet. More room than I imagined. There is a kitchen. dining room, living room, master bedroom with king bed & separate bathroom with shower & jaccuzi, another bedroom with a queen bed, full bathroom, and a loft bedroom with two twin beds. There was a total of 4 TVs in this unit.! They were not used often as there was too much to see/do in the area. I attended the Monday Morning Breakfast (which was very light, bagels cold cereal juice & coffee) but many vendors there with buy-one-get-one free coupons and a couple of give aways. (My son won a free round of mini golf, I got a bogo for white water rafting & zip lining for $54, & best value was a coupon for 2 hours unlimited at THE TRACK for $16 b4 6:00 pm. This included go-carts, bumer boats/cars, mini golf, etc...) The kitchen was well stocked but glad we did not buy too many groceries as we were away from the resort for most of the day. This is not a resort where you pop back in for lunch, IMHO., The couple minor maint. issues we had (loose step/burnt out light bulb) were fixed within minutes of the call. Activities Center was very helpful with suggestions on horseback riding and a few other items.

In short LOVED the unit!! Loved TN. Will definately be back. (although, would like to come back in spring or fall. It was in the high 90s with triple digit heat index. Wanted to do some of the longer hikes but just too hot.:(

3  Thank shoonka
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were disappointed with Mountain Loft Resort Gatlinburg TN. When we first arrived and were bringing luggage in; we quickly discovered two holes underneath the carpeting. (about two foot long and a foot wide. And elderly person or someone with young children could have gotten seriously injured. What makes that worse is that the carpet appears to be relatively new and they didn't repair the subfloor before installing it. Both holes were located in the main walkway.
The two bedroom townhouse appeared to be fairly clean if you didn't count the cookies on the carpet, the Capri Sun juice pack on the floor.
Security was a joke, they have a gentleman that mans the guard house from 6-10:30p.m. Just when you are tired have been out seeing the sights all day, that's when they choose to have a person there to check your tag in the window.
The mattresses were rock hard.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family