“Bad experience, bad service”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gatlinburg
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed May 21, 2010

The good points about this hotel are its proximity to the strip, the price, free parking and how clean it is, despite it being a little run down. But what can you expect for a cheap motel? We weren't blown away by the actual accommodations, but we were satisfied. Its the staff we had a problem with.

There was an incident during our stay where the honesty of the staff came into question. I don't want accuse anybody, so all I am going to say is be careful what you leave laying out. Management at the time was cordial, but a little pushy. We shrugged it off and tried to enjoy the rest of our stay despite the uncomfortable feeling we got being there.

After we got home, we noticed that they charged our credit card more money after we checked out. It took a week for me to get in touch with the management, only to be yelled at on the phone and told to call and talk to someone else. Fine, I'll get corporate involved.

We will not be staying there again.

For those of you who are still thinking about Microtel, keep in mind the rooms are very small, lots of teenagers stay here (think noise and weird smells in the hallways), the water pressure is not very good and the free breakfast is meager, at best. But the beds are relatively comfy, parking is free, the place is pretty clean, you can bring your dogs ($10/night per pet) and you can walk to the strip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jkaaz101406
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed May 10, 2010

Make sure you check for bed bugs. They have them. The manager said he was going to spray. Check your room good before taking it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank gnetch
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I took a long weekend vacation to Gatlinburg and stayed at Microtel Inn. This is a super location, because it is just across the street from the Convention building and within walking distance to main street. Also you are just a feet from the tall tower. The only thing I noticed was that at times it was hard to turn off main street to get to the hotel and that I could hear walking above me. But overall this is a great location for a hotel and the price was super. Oh another good point about this hotel is that it is free parking, and right next door they are charging 15 dollars a day.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank firebreak2
Reviewed March 13, 2010

For the money I paid this was a great experience!!!
the hotel is in a great location
the room was very clean, with a view to the mountains!
the breakfast was very minimal, but again, i wasnt expecting anything big, since i only paid 30$ a night.
If you're a college student, or just wanting to travel in the smokies, with less focus on spending time at the hotel, this is a great choice.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank talulu6
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We arrived on December 18 in a snow storm. Our suite had two bathrooms, nice tv's, and two bathrooms, a bed for my husband and I and a pull out for our son. Yes it was smaller than some hotels BUT it had other amenities that made up for it. We headed out to visit Gatlinburg while it was snowing and when we got back the entire town went into a blackout because a tree had fallen. There were some people on the elevator that were stuck approximately 40 minutes.The front desk staff kept them informed of their situation and when to expect assistance. Over all the entire evening was quite fun for us, the room was extremely affordable, right off the main drag of Gatlinburg so we could just walk, yes there are dogs accepted and I am a light sleeper but had no problems that evening, and the next morning as we headed off to our rental cabin for our Christmas vacation we all decided that we will definitely be going back on our next trip. Don't expect the Taj Mahal....expect simple, and you won't be disappointed. If dogs bother you then there are a wide variety of establishments that do not allow them that are extremely accomodating.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BoMomma
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I took a group of teenages to Gatlinburg for a retreat and stayed at this motel. The staff was friendly as was the front desk person. We were going to be a bit late checking in, but they noted that in our reservation they thanked us for letting them know. not a problem. One of the teens let his keys. I called, They mailed them to me. Beds were comfortable and the pullout bed in the couch was comfortable too. Nice tvs in the suite rooms. only cons no shampoo in bathrooms, but I usually take my own anyway. and breakfast was cereal and donuts but it was free. Walls are not sound proof but the motel was full of teens so I wasn't expecting peace and quite. lol I would and will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2010

short review: Good for solo or 2 travels. Had a positive experience.

long review:
1. ROOM SIZE: ALL Microtels have small rooms. that's a given. So, yes I already knew the room was going to be small. If I was in europe the rooms still be considered normal size, but since its in the US of A it would be considered as "small". Since I'm a solo-traveler, the size didnt bother me. If you are traveling with a friend or spouse, get the 2 beds or the suite. it has a bit more space. Trust me on that!
--Flat screen Digital TV was a plus.

2. CLEANLINESS: Everything was clean, except for the stain on the chair. The white blankets and sheets were spotless. the towels were clean, everything was dusted off. A+ plus from the cleaning crew. I can hardly blame them from the stain on the chair. Its not the cleaning crew's fault some clumsy person spilled something on it.

3. BED: was soft and comfy.

4. BATHROOM: was clean. A+ Strong water pressure. Came with 2 long, 2 hand, & 2 washcloth towels,and 1 floor towel. bathroom only had two soaps, no shampoo or anything else. But it ok. i bring my own toiletries.

5. THE NOISE: Pretty quiet for me. I was in the 1st floor, and I didnt hear and loud thuds from the upstairs, or doors closing. I met one guest that had a dog too, it must have been a very quiet dog, because I didnt hear any barking either.

6. ELAVATOR: Was fine.

7. STAFF. The front desk clerks were polite and friendly, especially the early-night shift lady. I had to change my schedule last minute, and the staff were okay about giving my money back for that 1 extra day i didnt had to stay. I booked from their site, so i don't know if made it easier for them to get my money back or not.

8. SAFETY & LOCATION. It was in a nice location. just half a block away from the main strip, so it was close enough to walk the touristy stuff, but far enough that you dont have to be bothered by the noise from the streets. For you young guys and gals, its a good location that you can walk to the restaurants in the main street to go drinking at night, and stumble or crawl your way back to your room in the wee hours.
It's good to know that they close the main door at late nights, and would require staff to open the bolt for you. However, you can always go in the back door using your key cards.

9. PARKING - Free Parking was a plus. Covered parking is also a plus on winter nights, or very hot summers. keeps your car way from snow and/or the hot sun.

10. WIFI. - Fast enough for emails and web surfing and youtube viewing. but dont plan to watch netflix on them.

11. BREAKFAST - The breakfast room seems like it was mean as a get-in-get-out kind of breakfast. had 2 differnt kids of cold cerials, bagles, mini donuts, coffee, milk & 2 different juices. Perfect if you just want a pick-me-up. But if you plan a full breakfast, your better of going to the restaurants and waffle places that are within walking distance from the area.

11. OVERALL - I liked the Microtel inn in Gatlinburg. its pefect if you are on a budget, I would recommend it for solo, 2 travelers, or family with a small kid. If you have a teenager in the family, they are better of getting a different room.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo