“know what to expect and you wont be disappointed”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gatlinburg
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Northbrook, Illinois
“know what to expect and you wont be disappointed”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

short review: Good for solo or 2 travels. Had a positive experience.

long review:
1. ROOM SIZE: ALL Microtels have small rooms. that's a given. So, yes I already knew the room was going to be small. If I was in europe the rooms still be considered normal size, but since its in the US of A it would be considered as "small". Since I'm a solo-traveler, the size didnt bother me. If you are traveling with a friend or spouse, get the 2 beds or the suite. it has a bit more space. Trust me on that!
--Flat screen Digital TV was a plus.

2. CLEANLINESS: Everything was clean, except for the stain on the chair. The white blankets and sheets were spotless. the towels were clean, everything was dusted off. A+ plus from the cleaning crew. I can hardly blame them from the stain on the chair. Its not the cleaning crew's fault some clumsy person spilled something on it.

3. BED: was soft and comfy.

4. BATHROOM: was clean. A+ Strong water pressure. Came with 2 long, 2 hand, & 2 washcloth towels,and 1 floor towel. bathroom only had two soaps, no shampoo or anything else. But it ok. i bring my own toiletries.

5. THE NOISE: Pretty quiet for me. I was in the 1st floor, and I didnt hear and loud thuds from the upstairs, or doors closing. I met one guest that had a dog too, it must have been a very quiet dog, because I didnt hear any barking either.

6. ELAVATOR: Was fine.

7. STAFF. The front desk clerks were polite and friendly, especially the early-night shift lady. I had to change my schedule last minute, and the staff were okay about giving my money back for that 1 extra day i didnt had to stay. I booked from their site, so i don't know if made it easier for them to get my money back or not.

8. SAFETY & LOCATION. It was in a nice location. just half a block away from the main strip, so it was close enough to walk the touristy stuff, but far enough that you dont have to be bothered by the noise from the streets. For you young guys and gals, its a good location that you can walk to the restaurants in the main street to go drinking at night, and stumble or crawl your way back to your room in the wee hours.
It's good to know that they close the main door at late nights, and would require staff to open the bolt for you. However, you can always go in the back door using your key cards.

9. PARKING - Free Parking was a plus. Covered parking is also a plus on winter nights, or very hot summers. keeps your car way from snow and/or the hot sun.

10. WIFI. - Fast enough for emails and web surfing and youtube viewing. but dont plan to watch netflix on them.

11. BREAKFAST - The breakfast room seems like it was mean as a get-in-get-out kind of breakfast. had 2 differnt kids of cold cerials, bagles, mini donuts, coffee, milk & 2 different juices. Perfect if you just want a pick-me-up. But if you plan a full breakfast, your better of going to the restaurants and waffle places that are within walking distance from the area.

11. OVERALL - I liked the Microtel inn in Gatlinburg. its pefect if you are on a budget, I would recommend it for solo, 2 travelers, or family with a small kid. If you have a teenager in the family, they are better of getting a different room.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank darvin1023

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Clinton
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Rooms and location were nice. Paper thin walls you could hear everything from the neighbors all night long. Dogs barking all night long we evencomplained to the front desk with no result. Doors slaming all night.. Fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. Not a freindly staff at all. Elevator didn't work either

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2009

This Inn was ok if you're on a budget. Would recommend for singles or couples, but not families with children. The walls are thin and sound does travel. Fortunately, the neighbors weren't too loud. The housekeeping does just enough to get by and the Continental Breadfast is skimpy. Great location. Only a block from the main drag. Within walking distance of everything or catch the trolley. Would I stay again? Mmm.. Maybe.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dayton, OH
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here this past week on a trip down to North Carolina. We weren't looking for the most glamorous accommodations - just something that was fairly inexpensive and in a good location.

We booked online with a third party vendor but I would recommend booking on microtel's website directly because the front desk (both check-in and check-out) were not very friendly with the fact that I used a third party vendor.

The room consisted of a: desk, window seat, two side tables, fridge, and clothing cabinet. It smelled nice (attributable to the cone air freshener stashed behind the tv) but the bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. The bed had a very firm mattress. I would suggest that the rooms receiver an overhaul in general.

The location was just up the street from one of the Ripley's and Jugglin' George shoe store. It was about a two block walk to the main street in Gatlinburg.

Despite its location and the fact that it was directly across from the convention center where they were having a craftsman fair, the hallways were quiet. We didn't experience any problems with parking or any maintenance going on with the property.

It definitely was not the nicest place but we had certainly stayed in worse places. It has convenient location with a much better price than the places located directly off the main thoroughfare.

We did not partake in the breakfast that was offered.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
ky
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 15 years. The next to the last time I stayed there was two yrs ago. The rooms were said to have been in the process of remodel. This time, I asked for one of the newly remodled rooms, was told they would see what they could do upon arrival. Upon arrival, I again stated I would like a remodled room, as they were not in such good shape the last time. I was told, that IF there had indeed been any remodling done in the past it was done to all of the rooms. The rooms looked no better than they did before. They were not clean. The CLEAN wash cloths, had many BLACK AND BROWN stains on them. HAIR of all body parts were on the bedding, as well as in the CLEAN towels and wash cloths.as well as all over the bathroom. We were put on the top floor where they were in process of putting as new roof on, with the roofers starting to climb up by our windows very early and beating and banging very early in the morning. No blame to the workers, only the owners for their timing and renting out the top floor. The parking was horrible, as the construction crew took up most of one side with their vans, trailers, and trucks, etc. There were huge roofing nails on the side we were allowed to park on. I had picked up several myself in hopes we would not get one in our vehicle. I had previously reccomended this hotel, now I will tell everyone be sure to not go there. Besides all of the previous, the room we had was very tiny and cramped.
Mrs Foster

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank leonagail
Kettering, Oh.
Reviewed September 22, 2009

The hotel is not as bad as reported. We stayed there 4 nights and never had any problems. It's off the main drag, so it's nice and quiet at night. The rooms could do with a little upgrading.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Redford, Michigan
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We checked into the Microtel and my family wanted to leave once we arrived. The hotel smells like smoke, the carpet in the halls and stairway is dirty and old. The only good thing was George at the front desk during the day. The guy at night barely wanted to look up from his computer games to say hello. You actually had to address him before he'd even look up. George, on the other hand, was very friendly and helpful. Since we weren't planning on being in the room much and the price was right, we stayed. The photos online must have been taken when it was new! They sure aren't recent photos.

The good points .... It was close the Ripleys and the other tourist traps. The beds were comfortable too.

The bad points, other than the dirty carpet, torn wallpaper, etc. ... There is NO PLACE for your dog to pee. We ended up having to walk a half a block to find a large patch of grass. I heard from one of the staff that the owners won't fix anything. He said most of the in room fridges are broken. Luckily ours worked. Would I stay here again? NO. Am I happy I only had to pay $10 a night for my dog to stay here? Yes. Did we have fun in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge? We sure did.

The Great Smokey Mountains are beautiful. The Comedy Barn is also a fun show for the family. Because George was nice and the bed was comfortable I'm giving it a 2 bone rating instead of a 1. Clean up your hotel Microtel owners. The garden out front was taken better care of than your hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family