“Good location, right price”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gatlinburg
Ranked #61 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here this past week on a trip down to North Carolina. We weren't looking for the most glamorous accommodations - just something that was fairly inexpensive and in a good location.

We booked online with a third party vendor but I would recommend booking on microtel's website directly because the front desk (both check-in and check-out) were not very friendly with the fact that I used a third party vendor.

The room consisted of a: desk, window seat, two side tables, fridge, and clothing cabinet. It smelled nice (attributable to the cone air freshener stashed behind the tv) but the bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. The bed had a very firm mattress. I would suggest that the rooms receiver an overhaul in general.

The location was just up the street from one of the Ripley's and Jugglin' George shoe store. It was about a two block walk to the main street in Gatlinburg.

Despite its location and the fact that it was directly across from the convention center where they were having a craftsman fair, the hallways were quiet. We didn't experience any problems with parking or any maintenance going on with the property.

It definitely was not the nicest place but we had certainly stayed in worse places. It has convenient location with a much better price than the places located directly off the main thoroughfare.

We did not partake in the breakfast that was offered.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 15 years. The next to the last time I stayed there was two yrs ago. The rooms were said to have been in the process of remodel. This time, I asked for one of the newly remodled rooms, was told they would see what they could do upon arrival. Upon arrival, I again stated I would like a remodled room, as they were not in such good shape the last time. I was told, that IF there had indeed been any remodling done in the past it was done to all of the rooms. The rooms looked no better than they did before. They were not clean. The CLEAN wash cloths, had many BLACK AND BROWN stains on them. HAIR of all body parts were on the bedding, as well as in the CLEAN towels and wash cloths.as well as all over the bathroom. We were put on the top floor where they were in process of putting as new roof on, with the roofers starting to climb up by our windows very early and beating and banging very early in the morning. No blame to the workers, only the owners for their timing and renting out the top floor. The parking was horrible, as the construction crew took up most of one side with their vans, trailers, and trucks, etc. There were huge roofing nails on the side we were allowed to park on. I had picked up several myself in hopes we would not get one in our vehicle. I had previously reccomended this hotel, now I will tell everyone be sure to not go there. Besides all of the previous, the room we had was very tiny and cramped.
Mrs Foster

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank leonagail
Reviewed September 22, 2009

The hotel is not as bad as reported. We stayed there 4 nights and never had any problems. It's off the main drag, so it's nice and quiet at night. The rooms could do with a little upgrading.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We checked into the Microtel and my family wanted to leave once we arrived. The hotel smells like smoke, the carpet in the halls and stairway is dirty and old. The only good thing was George at the front desk during the day. The guy at night barely wanted to look up from his computer games to say hello. You actually had to address him before he'd even look up. George, on the other hand, was very friendly and helpful. Since we weren't planning on being in the room much and the price was right, we stayed. The photos online must have been taken when it was new! They sure aren't recent photos.

The good points .... It was close the Ripleys and the other tourist traps. The beds were comfortable too.

The bad points, other than the dirty carpet, torn wallpaper, etc. ... There is NO PLACE for your dog to pee. We ended up having to walk a half a block to find a large patch of grass. I heard from one of the staff that the owners won't fix anything. He said most of the in room fridges are broken. Luckily ours worked. Would I stay here again? NO. Am I happy I only had to pay $10 a night for my dog to stay here? Yes. Did we have fun in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge? We sure did.

The Great Smokey Mountains are beautiful. The Comedy Barn is also a fun show for the family. Because George was nice and the bed was comfortable I'm giving it a 2 bone rating instead of a 1. Clean up your hotel Microtel owners. The garden out front was taken better care of than your hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank FunnyBaldMan
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This is not a five star place or even three star for that matter so do not expect that. The building is old but everything worked fine in the room that I needed to use. My reservations stated microwave; I guess they meant the one in the "breakfast room." The rooms are small as other reviewers have stated on here but they were clean. Met the day staff and cleaning staff and they seemed friendly enough. The cleaning lady was hard to follow due to the language barrier but she seemed to understand English well. There was a lot of door slamming at nights (1-2 a.m.) from other guests but overall the stay was OK. If you are taking the kids you will need two rooms. The price was right, hotel was clean and the location of it made all of Gatlinburg within walking distance. I would not recommend this place for more than 2-3 nights as a "getaway" due to the fact as the rooms are indeed small.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

This inn was overbooked. I wanted to cancel because of a rain storm that delayed my travels. They said I had to come anyway. I got there at 11:00 PM and did not have a bed. They wanted me to sleep on a sofa bed that had blood on the matteress cover. I do not recommend this place to
anyone. After numerous phone calls they would not return any of my money or my phone calls. .

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Read other reviews and expected the small room and simple continental breakfast. If it is just a couple, the room size is fine. Great if you want something inexpensive, clean and a great location to be able to walk out to everything.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple