“Very Disappointing!”

Ranked #56 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Very Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We have stayed at several Microtel locations in the past, and, although not luxurious, they were always very clean, comfortable and had a great breakfast. This hotel did not live up to that description at all. The lobby area was dark and dreary; breakfast was minimal; room was very outdated. We probably would not have stayed if we hadn't been so tired!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Mason, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I primarily go to Gatlinburg for the Smokeys. The Microtel is consistently the best priced hotel for basic needs. My needs are a bed and bathroom that are clean. I get this every time I stay. The location is wonderful because it is just one light from the park. It is also across from the Catholic church which is a beautiful little church that I like to stop in every day I'm there for daily Mass. If you just need a comfortable and clean place to sleep this place is great.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Grayson, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Recently in Gatlinburg with my granddaughter our first room was a horrible experience. Decided to venture down the street closer to town. After the previous night I knew I was going to check out the room before I decided to stay. Thank goodness I did. As the desk clerk was taking us upstairs we walked through a hallway and upstairs and the carpets were filthy. Looked like a muddy path. We get to the room the size of a closet with tattered and torn furniture and a horrible musty smell. I turned down the bed only to find hair on the pillows, needless to say I did not stay here! When I said we'd go elsewhere the desk clerk was extremely rude and huffed back down the stairs.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Robertsdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

The front desk employees were outstanding. Everything we needed they met our need. The Front Desk Employees went "above and beyond" good customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Red Creek, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

First let me say we did not expect anything special. We had read the reviews & knew the rooms would be small & the hotel itself needed some renovations but the price was great so we made our reservations. When we checked in the clerk was extremely helpful. His name was James & obviously knows his job. He was very helpful with our questions of the area restaurants, attractions, etc... We had had a 1st floor room in the front hall of the hotel, near the desk. It was small but clean but our 1st night was horrible because of dogs barking all evening. The pet section was on the other end of the hotel but one could still hear what must have been 10 dogs all barking endlessly. The next morning we went to the desk & asked to be moved upstairs away from any pets & Wilma was as helpful & friendly as James had been. After apologizing, she immediately moved us up to a 2nd floor room. Unfortunately, the housekeepers on that floor were different from the 1st floor because our new room was the nastiest hotel room I've ever encountered. We were away from pets but that was the only plus. Our bathroom had empty soap wrappers left on the sink. The mirror had not been cleaned from the previous guests, the floor was sticky with God knows what. The main room had not been vacuumed, the mirror over the bed had hand-print smears on it, the phone was filthy and the bed had very long black hairs on the sheets & pillowcases. They linen was clean so the hairs had to be from housekeepers who don't bother to even pull their hair back to keep it from falling on the bedclothes. It was obvious the housekeepers wiped off everything at eye level & didn't bother with anything else. Rather than complain again and risk getting a worse room, we went to the Walgreens down the street & spent over 2 hours doing the housekeeper's job. After speaking to the guests next door we found out it was the same for them. Their room was in worse shape than ours. We had a room with 2 beds & they were comfortable. We stayed for 4 days & every day we would find some new filth somewhere. I dropped some change on the floor & when I picked it up I saw pieces of popcorn, candy wrappers, and general dirt just under the edge of everything---the heating unit hadn't been cleaned under in months or more. The refridgerator was dirty inside and i could write my name in the dust on it & on the back of the TV. They don't even vacuum under the edge of the bed. The window seat had a stained cover with holes in it & obviously hadn't been moved for some time as we found gum wrappers, M&Ms behind the cushion, and the curtains looked as if they had NEVER been washed & weren't even hung properly. Cobwebs were in 3 corners of the room. (No one ever looks up when they 'clean' either) As the days passed we stayed out of the room as much as possible & just enjoyed Gatlinburg. We also spoke several times with the 2 above mentioned clerks. They were very nice & apologetic but we knew there was nothing they could do about the room situation. They made our stay tolerable, fun even, as they laughed with us, talked to us when they had the time, & in general made our time in Gatlinburg great. They really need to find another hotel in which to work. Their talents are wasted in such a mismanaged property. I hope the owners know the importance of their communication & talent for dealing with unhappy guests. As I told James, they took our frowns & turned them upside-down into smiles & as long as they are employed there we will return, bringing our own cleaning supplies & a dust-buster when we do come back. I'm sure it is thanks to them & the really cheap rates that people return for future stays. One more plus, I just saw on the Microtel website that pets are no longer being accepted there, At least future guests won't have to deal with that problem anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room or something close to the desk, those rooms were pretty clean. Also, ask fo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family