“Great rate; Room as expected”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gatlinburg
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Smyrna, Tennessee
“Great rate; Room as expected”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Having stayed with the chain in a different city before, I knew what I was getting when I booked a room at the Gatlinburg Microtel: A (very) small room at an affordable price, with no frills. That's exactly what I got.

We arrived after midnight, and the desk clerk was very friendly and gave us all the information we needed. Pleasant experience there.

Upon arriving in Room 106, it was a bit musty. That was fixed by turning on the A/C. It seemed as if the unit had been off for a few days. The humidity in the room, however, didn't subside overnight. The air was still a bit damp when we woke up, but wasn't terrible.

I noticed a couple of faint stains on the bedsheet. They weren't bad, and looked as if the sheets had been through a few washes since the stains were left, but they was noticeable. The wireless internet was slower than I would've liked it to be, but it worked (and it was free). The TV got around 60 channels or so, so that was nice. We did have a couple of gnats flying around the room.

In the bathroom, the shower had a drainage issue. After a five-minute shower, I was standing ankle-deep in water. Also, the hotel failed to provide us with any shampoo/conditioner. Good thing I brought my own. Towels were limited, too.

I didn't take advantage of the free continental breakfast (I only had coffee), because the Log Cabin Pancake House is a short walk up the street.

This hotel's best feature is its location. It sits directly across from the Gatlinburg Convention Center on Historic Nature Trail, and is a very short walk from the Parkway. Parking is free for guests.

Summed up: this hotel is exactly what you would expect, and you shouldn't expect much at all. The rooms are very small, but that's Microtel's gimmick, so I won't fault them for that. It certainly wasn't uncomfortable, but it could feel cramped. Fortunately, my wife and I recently spent a week on a cruise, and this room was slightly larger than our stateroom on the ship--and we were only staying at Microtel long enough to sleep one night--so we were fine with it.

If you're going to be spending one night in Gatlinburg, go for it. If you're going to be there longer, pass on the Microtel and get yourself something nicer and larger.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zpb52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'll start off with the good...budget friendly, clean, decent continental breakfast, friendly staff. The bad...room smelled moldy, dingy furniture, thin walls and floors so everything can be heard, very small rooms, only one elevator to service all the floors, rooms very outdated. My family and I got this place on a whim for just a one night stay because our usual Holiday Inn Express was booked, and for us one night was tolerable at best. Probably won't be staying here again if it can be helped, but if you are not very picky and you don't mind ruffing it (in the hotel since) then this place would be great!

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd floor for less noise
2 Thank aschreader
Lexington
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Nice hotel, clean and close to the main strip! Stayed in the 2 room suite which was really nice 2 bathrooms and 2tvs which was a plus so our son could watch tv too.....No pool but plenty of things to do though....Would stay again! 3 nights for about $180 in August!!

2 Thank Christopher K
Gatlinburg
Reviewed August 12, 2012

great location to explore the mountains and town, small and clean roomes, good hotel for low budgets

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank George_12Gatlinburg
Riner
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is not Microtel quality. I have stayed at several Microtel's and they have always been excellent and very clean. This one is old, dirty, a/c noisy, breakfast area very small and the only plus you can find is that it is convinient to the Convention Center but there are a couple of others across the street as well. It's expensive for what you get so go find another motel!

CPW151

Room Tip: Find another motel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I recently stayed for 3 nights while attending a conference. The location is excellent for that, since it's directly across the street from the Gatlinburg Convention Center. However, the first room they gave me (#204) absolutely reeked with the smell of mildew. When I complained, the guy at the desk handed me a bottle of spray and told me to "go easy" when I sprayed it because it was strong. I sprayed the carpets, the bed, and even the air conditioner vent and left to finish unloading my luggage. When I returned, the smell was still extremely strong, so they moved me to another room, #106. That room had a smell, but it wasn't as strong, and after a few squirts of the spray, it was actually bearable--and besides, it was too late for me to search for another hotel. Smell aside, the hotel was very good. I enjoyed the free continental breakfast they served each morning, and everything was clean and neat. I loved the 24-hour coffee that was available in the lobby, and I was happy to find that my room had an ironing board and iron, as well as a hairdryer. The bed was very comfy, too. The location is perfect---just about a 1/2 block or so to the main road with all the shops, shows, and restaurants. Parking was free, plentiful, and convenient--a commodity hard to find in Gatlinburg. Last note: Others that were staying there at the same time told me their rooms didn't smell. Maybe it was just my luck of the draw.

Room Tip: Ask to see and smell your room before bringing in your luggage.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here 15 years ago, at that time the hotel was new. Due to the great location and fair price, thought we would try again. The rooms smelled. There have been no updates in the last 15 yrs. must have been the same carpet. It's great as far as location, but management: do yourselves a big favor and update the rooms. Smelled like mildew attempted to be disguised with febreeze.

• Stayed August 2012