“Calhoun's: The real deal in Tennessee BBQ”

Calhoun's Gatlinburg
Ranked #26 of 199 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Calhoun's is a local, fresh, casual dining establishment specializing in hickory smoked BBQ, hand-cut steaks and seafood, and fresh ground hamburgers. We offer something for every taste. We also have a kids menu, and free parking with receipt. Eat Local, Eat Good!
Reviewed January 9, 2014

After spending much of the day driving and doing photography in the Great Smoky Mountains, we arrived back in Gatlinburg at 4:30pm and very, very hungry. The first restaurant we stopped at was not yet open, so we walked down the street looking for something inviting. The second place was under renovation. We crossed the street to Calhoun's and looked at their menu. OK, we decided. The doors open to a beautiful and lofty space. I was interested in trying Tennessee BBQ. We sat under a sign proclaiming that the restaurant serves the best ribs in the world. Could that be? Aimee, our server was extremely helpful. She answered our questions regarding the flavor of their cold slaw. Calhoun's is also a microbrewer and Aimee offered to provide me with a sampler. In a few moments she was back at the table with five glasses of many brewed there. They ranked from light to a more heavy ale. In the middle was a wheat beer. I tasted them and I preferred the Hellas and the wheat. Leaning toward the wheat beer, which really surprised me. All were very good. My wife ordered a serving of short ribs. Aimee recommend the BBQ brisket to me. I ordered the slaw and was intrigued by a side dish called Spinach Maria. My wife ordered fries and slaw as her sides. We also were served three different kinds of bread: a cornbread muffin, a biscuit (a farm biscuit like my grandmother made!), and a fresh roll. That the meal was delicious does not encompass the experience. I tried one of my wife's french fries after she remarked how good they were. Wow. Invariable, I have found that restaurants slide a bit on quality on some dishes. Calhoun's is consistently good. I have been to only one restaurant where every single aspect of the meal was consistently delicious. I eat out a lot and love food, love to cook. We finished up sharing a white macadamia nut banana pudding. Yum, yum! YUM! And the price for this delicious? My wife could not believe the bill. That other restaurant where I had such a great meal, that cost 4 times what we paid at Calhoun's. Wish we had one of these at home. They're not moving out of Tennessee. They do what they say. The food is as good as they can make it; making everything from scratch. Do yourself a favor. Eat at Calhoun's!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I ordered the famous ribs and they were delicious! I would definitely recommend them. If you like mixed drinks, get a mojito. It was awesome!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The ribs were dry however the sides offered were very good; our waiter was very attentive and staff friendly; the resturant was clean and the atmosphere was beautiful; there is a big fireplace which was the center of your attention when you enter
I would go again and try something else
Also parking is validated which is nice in Gatlinburg

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Well, I know - you're thinking BBQ for special holiday dinner. Think again, we had prime rib to rival any steak house, traditional turkey, dressing & cranberry sauce, baked chicken and yes one had BBQ ribs. Well worth our choice as we had only a 10 minute wait (with no reservation) and their sister steak restaurant could not get us in for an hour. Service was adequate for such a busy evening. Food came to table timely.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We arrived on a Friday night, no wait. Parking was on-site keep your receipt and it is free. Great service, Jake C was our waiter. He was very good and very patient. He was also very attentive to all of our guest. We had a table for eight. The ribs according to my husband and daughter was delicious. All the sides was also very good. We didn't really care for the appetizer, potatoe wedges. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was very good. Pretty reasonable prices for eating out in Gatlingburg. Pretty large portions also. We will defiantly return.