“Great Food, Good Service, OK Atmosphere”

Calhoun's Gatlinburg
Ranked #33 of 205 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Calhoun's is a local, fresh, casual dining establishment specializing in hickory smoked BBQ, hand-cut steaks and seafood, and fresh ground hamburgers. We offer something for every taste. We also have a kids menu, and free parking with receipt. Eat Local, Eat Good!
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is the first place we went to in Gatlinburg, opting for their menu over Park Grill, Cheroke Grill or Smokey Mountain Brewery. Turned out to be a good choice. The ribs were excellent as were the mac & cheese and spinach casserole sides. The caesar salad was a bit small for the price, but big enough to complement our meal. My wife and I both agreed this was the best ribs we've had in years. That says a lot coming from one of the top foodie cities in the world, Charleston SC.

The $5 drink specials were an excellent deal, the drinks were big and not watered down. A fact my wife will not let me forget after making a point to not get her hopes up with $5 drinks in a tourist town are likely to be small (pint size Long Island Iced Tea anyone?) and weak (not even close, according to my wife).

The service was excellent as well. Attentive, but not intrusive.

So why just 4 out of 5? The atmosphere was average at best. Maybe it was just where we ended up, but I didn't like sitting down and being put right next to the bar surrounded by TVs showing the X games (nothing wrong with either, but I prefer bar seating when I'm out drinking or eating wings, not "going out for dinner"). We also were near the door which meant every single person coming in to eat got paraded by our table.

Overall the food and service are great. If you want atmosphere as well then their sister property Cherokee Grill right across the way is a better bet... though we were far less impressed with the service over there.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,324)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was our first time at Calhoun's in Gatlinburg. We had heard they had tasty ribs. Unfortunately, the night we went in they informed us they were out of ribs and if we wanted to try them it would be at least a 20 minute wait. The atmosphere was charming. We had a very friendly waiter. Their menu is a little pricey, but about what you would expect at a steak/rib restaurant. My husband and I ordered their pulled pork dinner. It came with 8oz of pulled pork, coleslaw and one side. The service was incredibly fast. When we got our dinners the pork was luck warm but my husbands baked beans were steaming hot. We've eaten a lot of pulled pork in our day. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of our favorites. The food was tasty but average. With the variety of restaurants to chose from in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge I don't believe we will return to this one.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The food and atmosphere were both great. Our waiter was wonderful. Had the ribs they just fell off the bones. Had a great banana pudding to end the night. Will be going back again when in town.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We get the Ale Steak. It is so tender and good. Love the homemade salad dressings & croutons. It is one of our favorites in the area. Love the bread/rolls/cornbread you get as well. Definitely come hungry, you won't be disappointed. We usually substitute one of the sides for a salad (it is a little extra) but worth it, the salads are huge. Two people could easily share a meal and appetizer and leave totally satisfied! Bill for three people (with subbing for salads and appetizer and bottled soda, fresh lemonade) was around $75 with tip. Not cheap by any means, but high quality. This is one of the only places we will eat steak at anymore because it is so good! I did try the Calhoun steak this time with BBQ and wasn't as impressed, I will stick with the Ale Steak in the future!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Calhoun's is an East Tennesse chain known primarily for its barbecue. It is a family restaurant with above average food and a good family atmosphere. Try a cup of the white bean chili, it is quite good. The restaurant itself is located off the parkway, and does have parking off the street for customers. There are also various shops and another restaurant in the relatively enclosed parking area. The other restaurant "Rocky Mountain Brewery" is another Calhoun's chain member. Both restaurants serve the same designer beer.