“If you've ridden horses before, it's average”

Smoky Mountain Riding Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was pumped at the idea of horse-back riding through the mountains. This place has a great location and the staff was friendly, but I didn't feel that it was worth the price. It was $30 each, and I didn't really feel like the ride was different than anything I've done before at home or anywhere else. If you are there with a family, and if you have little or no riding experience, this is probably lovely. But if you enjoy trail rides and do them frequently, this is pretty tame, and in my opinion, not worth $30 for an hour. Riding through the Muskokas in Ontario was more thrilling than in the Great Smokeys. However, the scenery is quite pretty and the horses were well behaved. It was fun, and I'm sure many people thoroughly enjoy it, but I felt it should cost a little less for its value.

All reviews
in 28 reviews
"woods"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Having been on a few rides of this nature, it was average at best. The staff was not friendly as I would expect for the nature of their business. I would not go back or recommend this place.

5  Thank Kscholl1965
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place offered a little bit of everything. Loved our time there with the kids and rode a horse for the first time! The staff was very nice and made this a very enjoyable experience. Would recommend taking a leisurely ride as part of you trip to Gatlinburg.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The trail itself was beautiful however it had just finished raining and it was too muddy for the horses to walk effectively. The horses seemed tired with no breaks in between rides. They were knee deep in mud while walking through the trail and there were a lot of rocks. My horse slipped and fell because of the muddy walking conditions and I received a very nasty arm and head injury because of it! For all of my pain and suffering I received a free t-shirt and a disk of our pictures. I would have preferred a refund since the horses should not have been allowed to ride in those conditions!

5  Thank Nicola G
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The horses are over worked, the trail ride is 30 % under water where the horses were
ankle deep,and the other 70% was large rock. The guide rushed me and my daughter through a two hour ride with no brakes, only yelling and whistling at the horse to pick up the paste, and through rock and mud paths it made it difficult for the horses to keep up the fast paste. Me and my 16 year old daughter were so existed to take a two hour ride but my heart was bleeding to see the horses tripping and struggling to make it back to the barn just to turn around and go through all that pain all over again. Unprofessional and the horses are abused.

9  Thank Cape8101