“Should have paid attention to negative reviews....”

The Fox & Parrot Tavern
Ranked #65 of 200 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed April 4, 2013

So, here's the deal....I am English born and raised but have lived in the US FOR 20 years so anytime I get a chance to visit an English pub I am there. So, a rainy, cold day in Gatlinburg, an English pub - it's a no-brainer - i'm going. My first clue should have been when I called to see if they were open. Somehow I missed the hours so I asked again and was rewarded with a slightly snarky " I just told you ! Noon!'
We get there at noon. The first thing we were told was "we just opened....nothing is ready yet.." The owner seemed a little annoyed that we had turned up at opening time.Ok...I'll have a coffee while I'm waiting. The reply " The coffee isn't ready." Ok no problem, whenever...I'm easy going like that.
We ordered. Fish and chips, Shepherds Pie and a Ploughmans lunch. It took almost an hour for the food to get to us. Now keep in mind, there was just one other table of guests there.
The fish was very good, the fries ok, the Shepherds Pie ok. As for the Ploughmans lunch? Only order this if you have no idea what a ploughmans lunch is. It SHOULD have been a baguette or something similar,butter, a slab of cheddar, pickled onions, branston pickle, maybe some lettuce, if you are really lucky a Scotch egg, maybe cold cuts. What I got was some dried out chunk of bread, tiny cubes of smoked gouda, tiny cubes of corned beef, radishes, tomatoes, sliced yellow onions and what was billed as homemade branston....not good and certainly not like any ploughmans I have ever had. At that point I was hungry enough to run into the woods and chew the wet lichen off the trees so I made the most of it.
They had several teas on the menu. Daughter ordered Englsh breakfast tea....what turned up was Earl Grey..now Earl Grey is very distinctive - to me it always tastes like you are drinking a bottle of Chanel #5. We very politely asked if we could get the breakfast tea we ordered, server insisted it was Earl Grey breakfast tea, even though the breakfast tea was listed separately on the menu. Eventully server came back with a breakfast tea bag.
We were not offered refills on any drinks.
After reading some previous reviews I was afraid to visit the bathroom. Now remember we were the first customers of the day . The bathroom trashcan was overflowing from the day before and they were out of paper towels.
Really did not get good vibes from this place, looked like it could do with a good clean, food so-so, staff indifferent, verging on rude, seemed put out to actually have customers in the place.
Would not visit again.
Reminded me slightly of 'Fawlty Towers', the British comedy show where Basil Fawlty ( played by John Cleese) is always rude to the guests, except Fawlty Towers had charm....this place has none.

5  Thank TheWebSlayer

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Been to The FnP a few times, the last in May '12- my wife & I love that place! The atmosphere is good, the decor is great, the food is great, the beer selection is like being a kid in a candy shop- and for those that don't care for beer there is a selection of coolers & ciders- NO Bud. NO light beer. You want such pedestrian fare, you're in the wrong place, this ain't it. I notice a previous review was critical on the 'cleanliness', esp. dog hair & a dog present- this is a pub. As one review states, it's more like being in someone's house- oh and while we're talking about critters, don't forget the horse that has the run of the parking lot!- Anyway, the fact OUR small terrier can join us inside so long as she behaves herself (she does) is a major plus with us. We love the place. Hopefully the place is not as consistently lax on housekeeping as suggested in the 'dog' review, as we plan on visiting every time we go to the Smokies. Owner and staff have always been friendly, and we have yet to be disappointed in it.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The pub had tons of atmosphere and made you feel like you were at home. The staff was friendly and the food was wonderful.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Great place for a good beer and some food. Excellent beer selection (no Budweiser...but that's ok with us!), real pub food, great service and a chill environment.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place is located in the Arts & Crafts Community loop just outside of downtown Gatlinburg. Take the wife, or hang out here why she visits all the shops in the area. This is a perfect place to relax, watch sporting events on a big screen television, or listen to live music.

They have a great beer selection. They have 30+ unique micro-brew choices on draft. I had Hazed & Infused and it was excellent. Also, it was cold. They also have a large selection of bottled beer. They have a nice menu of primarily British type fayre. We had a Reuben sandwich with fries and shepherd's pie with fries and both were very good.

Neat place!