“Most Unique in Gatlinburg”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Nashville
“Most Unique in Gatlinburg”
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We spent a weekend at the Sidney James recently and loved it! We actually reserved our "king club level room" on the internet before the weekend but when we checked in our rate was quite a bit lower, which was a pleasant surprise. Our room was an excellent size and set up nicely. The only problem was the bed was a little too firm for my liking.

The best part of the hotel was the pool HANDS DOWN. There were lots of people in the afternoon time but the later it got the more it cleared out. If you stay on the inside entrance of pool you are also given after hour privileges which was pretty cool. My boyfriend and I were the only ones in the pool and hot tub after “closing time”.

The restaurant is ok but service was lacking and food a little overpriced. Breakfast bar didn’t have many items to choose from at all.

The staff at the hotel was very warm and friendly. They truly went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. There is no question that we will be back soon!!

• Liked — unique pool
  • Disliked — distance to main strip
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EFAB2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Southaven, MS
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We stayed here for 6 nights. We have stayed here once before and it wasn't bad. This time we got a jacuzzi room thought it would be even nicer. Wrong. The first room they put Us in we had to ask to be moved. That room had no windows and was really creepy. We got a really bad feeling in this room. I went back to the desk and the gentleman was very nice and placed US in another jacuzzi room. It was better but I still have a dirty feeling. The carpet and furniture was really dirty and stained. The house keeping did a good job about making sure the bathroom and jacuzzi was clean. But I couldn't sleep with the blankets on me becuase I had a really yucky feeling. My boyfriend felt the same. It was one step above a dive. Next time we will be staying somewhere else. But I would like to say that the employees there were very helpful and nice. Also on the website it says that they have WiFi. Well you can only get WiFi in the lobby or buy it from the Gatlinburg Town Square hotel.

• Liked — Nice employees
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barlac
Kingsport, TN
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We have stayed at the Sydney James numerous times over the past three years. We have never stayed anywhere else since staying there. It is a very nice and clean hotel. The staff are very nice. The kids love the pool. We came their for our anniversary. It is our place to stay in Gatlinburg! Always a good experience.
Shea Simmons

• Liked — All of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — There was nothing we didn't like.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank colton15
Brookston, IN
Reviewed April 9, 2007

The front desk clerk was rude on checking in because we had booked our room "on the internet". We booked & paid for 2 queen beds in a non-smoking room, but were given 2 full beds in a smoking room in the 'Courtyard', which is a run-down, 2 story motel-type building across the street from: the main hotel, the pool, the laundry machines, and the cafe` (basically, it was 150-200 yards from everything nice you see on their website).
When asked if we could get the room we had booked, we were told "You booked it through Hotels.com, so we don't have to guarantee you ANYTHING".
The clerk eventually 'found' a room in the main building, but we had to settle for 2 full beds. On checking out, the same clerk refused to give me a receipt, and refused to return or destroy my credit card imprint they got for 'incidentals'. I got similar treatment from the manager when I asked to see him.
The manager even tried to explain how the rude clerk did me a favor by not charging me for my room "upgrade", although he couldn't really explain what was upgraded since I paid for bigger beds than we slept on.
My advice to anyone visiting Gatlinburg: if the Sidney James Mountain Lodge has the only available rooms in town... stay in Pigeon Forge.

• Liked — Pool & Cafe` were OK
  • Disliked — The rudeness of the front desk clerk & manager and the smelly, out-dated, run-down room.
6 Thank BrookstonTraveler
worthington ky
Reviewed April 4, 2007

great placeto stay.food in the cafe was wonderful,best steak in town.grandkids loved the indoor pool.room was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.will return soon

• Liked — creek side room
  • Disliked — no wireless internet
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank johndeb420
South Carolina
Reviewed March 20, 2007

My wife, 2 young sons, and myself recently stayed in one of the king suites at the Sidney James Lodge. I was weary upon staying after reading some of the reviews on here but decided to take a chance and stay anyway. We go to Gatlinburg around 3 times a year and I can honestly say that this trip was one of the best we have had. Our room was spacious, unlike other hotels, and very affordable for a family. The kids really enjoyed the indoor pool every night we were there. The pool is unique with a cave and spacious enough to have plenty of room without people running into us. The "green water" that other reviews have referred to, is the waterfall beside the pool that is for decoration purposes only as it appears and feels (very cold) to be river water pumped up and drained back down to the river. The pool, kiddie pool, and the hot tub were all crystal clear, warm water. We ate our breakfast at the lodge restaurant every morning. The price was half the price of the local pancake houses and taste just as good, if not better. The chef personally ask how we wanted our food cooked and each time was delicious. As a bonus, my oldest son and I walked (100 yards) to the park behind the hotel. It is a very nice and a well maintained family park that includes a basketball court, tennis courts, picnic tables by the river, and a little league baseball field. The one downfall is the walk back up to the lodge from the parkway. After carrying my youngest son up the hill, I preferred to ride the trolley (trolley stop in front of the lodge) the rest of the times to the parkway. I would recommend this lodge to any family with kids.
If anyone wants pictures or has any questions about our recent stay, I can post them here for you.
Shane

• Liked — Spacious room, in house restaurant, public park behind lodge, indoor pool
  • Disliked — walking from the parkway
5 Thank baybay99
Middletown, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We decided to take a family vacation for my father-in-laws birthday so we went to the Sydney James Mountian Lodge. We were very pleased with everything the rooms were nice and comfortable. The pool was clean and it was an overall good time for everyone. Thank you for for helping us give him a nice birthday trip.

2 Thank Gizmo2Go